Show me yer bolsters!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Re: Show me yer bolsters!

Post by Mr Blonde »

I seem to remember having read somewhere a long time ago, that in the past, bolsters were needed to add strength to the pivot area. Nowadays they make a wonderful cosmetic feature to any folding knife in my book.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:01 pm
In a culinary knife, I know that a bolster may be used to affect the balance of the knife.

I the same true in folding knives? Forgive my ignorance, the last bolstered knife I used was a Buck 110 knockoff made by Schrade I had as a kid.
They literally ‘bolster’ the strength and rigidity of the pivot area, or handle to blade juncture of fixed blades.

The longer bolsters, as on Barlow knives sometimes had an extra pin.

They were sometimes soldered to the liner scales, or even integrally forged.

One of the treasure troves of early 19th century tool history is an English catalogue from 1816, with the catchy title of Explanation or Key to the Various Manufactories of Sheffield With Engravings of Each Article Designed for the Utility of Merchants, Wholesale Ironmongers. :D

It’s more commonly referred to as Smith’s Key.

Here’s a copy for anyone who’s interested in cutlery history. There are many fascinating pocketknife designs, which mostly feature bolsters. Some of the bolsters are quite ornate.

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... checontact

The pocketknives start at around plate 89.
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

PStone

Post by PStone »

Only own one bolstered Spydie. I’d still like to contribute though.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:59 am
DerRock wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:07 pm

I absolutely love those curved satin finish bolsters against the contoured cf. Wish there were still models in this style in current production. I'd buy up a native or lil' native backlock with this treatment in a second.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:40 pm
I seem to remember having read somewhere a long time ago, that in the past, bolsters were needed to add strength to the pivot area. Nowadays they make a wonderful cosmetic feature to any folding knife in my book.

Those are pretty special! I've admired your collection before, but never picked up on the Spydie motif bolsters. I had seen the custom Schempp bolsters before, but dang those are cool.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:43 pm
They literally ‘bolster’ the strength and rigidity of the pivot area, or handle to blade juncture of fixed blades.

The longer bolsters, as on Barlow knives sometimes had an extra pin.

They were sometimes soldered to the liner scales, or even integrally forged.

One of the treasure troves of early 19th century tool history is an English catalogue from 1816, with the catchy title of Explanation or Key to the Various Manufactories of Sheffield With Engravings of Each Article Designed for the Utility of Merchants, Wholesale Ironmongers. :D

It’s more commonly referred to as Smith’s Key.

Here’s a copy for anyone who’s interested in cutlery history. There are many fascinating pocketknife designs, which mostly feature bolsters. Some of the bolsters are quite ornate.

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b ... checontact

The pocketknives start at around plate 89.
Hey Cambertree,

That's a really neat find, thanks for sharing! Love seeing all the old knives and tools!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Mr Blonde wrote:

That mokume Schempp bowie, I would do bad things for.

Very nice!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Of course i can not keep up with Mr Blonde in the realm of bolsters, but i am sure that it is time for another go round.

PXL_20210513_022225504sm.jpg

Mr Blonde wrote:

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Okay, one more bump.

PXL_20210515_213758115sm.jpg
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Stop bumping this post, it just makes me sadder I don’t have a one eyed jack and a kriss...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v