Any chance of a new collab' with Bob Terzuola?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Any chance of a new collab' with Bob Terzuola?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Just wondering if Spyderco have any plans to work with Bob again. I've seen some of his folders that he's preparing for the gathering in Las Vegas and they look awesome. Would be great to have another Bob T folder in the line up, especially if it was made in Taichung :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Cujobob

Re: Any chance of a new collab' with Bob Terzuola?

Post by Cujobob »

I'd love to see a bit of a higher end offering as has been done with Peter Carey. Bob's customs are fantastic.
APS

Post by APS »

I want a compression lock C15 in blue or green G10.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

A big +1 on this. I greatly admire Mr. T's work and have tried to collect most of his collabs with Spyderco. The C15 and C19, along with the original Starmate, are some of my all-time favorite designs--bar none.

On a different note, Bob's book, The Tactical Folding Knife (2000), was a huge influence as I got started making my own folders several years ago. The guy is sheer brilliance when it comes to knife design. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

With Spyderco, I'd never rule anything out. Still, the Terzuola Slip-It wasn't exactly a barn-burner, the Starmate redux didn't do anywhere near as well as all the years of folk clamoring for it must have led Spyderco to believe it would, and the Double-Bevel sort of bombed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
timlara

Post by timlara »

While I agree with Paul's sales-related observations, I think the difference is that none of these models fall into the high-end "near mid-tech" category that I'd put some of the recent Taichung collaborations in.

While I didn't purchase any of the recent Terzoula models (I did have and very much like the first Starmate version from years ago), I would almost definitely be interested in a Rubicon-quality piece from Taichung, as long as it was more of a classic design (like maybe a slightly smaller Starmate, etc) versus a funky design like the Double-Bevel.
Tim
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I've never really resonated with any of Terzoula's designs, but I agree with Paul. Both of the recent ones suffered from the apparent "Japan origin value issue," the Starmate had F&F issues on top of that, and the Double Bevel is...well...just a bit silly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

timlara wrote:While I agree with Paul's sales-related observations, I think the difference is that none of these models fall into the high-end "near mid-tech" category that I'd put some of the recent Taichung collaborations in.

While I didn't purchase any of the recent Terzoula models (I did have and very much like the first Starmate version from years ago), I would almost definitely be interested in a Rubicon-quality piece from Taichung, as long as it was more of a classic design (like maybe a slightly smaller Starmate, etc) versus a funky design like the Double-Bevel.
Well said. I think a slightly higher-end model would certainly be better received.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Here's one Bob posted last week.
image.jpeg
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Most of Bob's designs (that I recall) really do better with a thumb stud than a hole. At least I think their lines are better. That combined with the current collaboration he has with CRKT makes me think it's less likely than more likely.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Here's one Bob posted last week.

image.jpeg
Fitting a hole in there changes the lines of the knife. I don't think it would look as good. Knives are a lot better when they're already designed with the hole in mind.