Who's in for a wharnie Mantra 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a wharnie Mantra 3?

Yep
53%
Nope
7%
I like peanut butter
40%

Total votes: 45

Evil D

Who's in for a wharnie Mantra 3?

Post by Evil D »

I mentioned this in another thread and now I can't stop thinking about it. Also I'm super early for work and bored out of my mind, so why not.

(you can vote for 2 and change your vote)
Last edited by Evil D on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Johnnie1801

Re: Who's in for a wharnie Mantra 3?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Didn't someone mention already that the Mantra 3 will have a comp lock?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Wharnie Mantra?....Sold to the daft bloke in Wolverhampton with the glasses!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Didn't someone mention already that the Mantra 3 will have a comp lock?
I haven't heard anything about that but I also wasn't following Mantra news very closely until I got one and realized how awesome they are.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I voted yes and I eat massive amounts of peanut butter.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
LC Kid

Long Live JiF Peanut Butter!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

A Wharnie Mantra 3 sounds quite charming... :rolleyes:

That said, I'm really not a fan of Ball Bearings, and once I saw the Cut-Off of the flipper heel on a Mantra I realised that should've been the nicest design. :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'd be interested as long as it has a functional hole
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I'd love to see one, and would certainly consider buying one.

Ti framelock, flipper, bearings, CPM M4, and a Wharnie? Sounds excellent.

But are we talking about a very traditional Wharncliffe shape, or a modified Wharnie?

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
timlara

Post by timlara »

I'd like to see a Mantra version of the "Jazz" or whatever his wharnie Delica is going to be called. Since the Mantra 1 is very Delica-like, it seems like it would work.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I definitely like peanut butter so I voted for that! I appreciate the virtues Wharncliffe blades but I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a Wharnie Mantra. I really like my Mantra (1) just the way it is, including the frame lock. That said I will likely buy one of the Delicas Wharnies.
Johnnie1801 wrote:Didn't someone mention already that the Mantra 3 will have a comp lock?
I'm not sure anyone from Spyderco has ever said anything about it. I've seen at least a couple of threads where someone suggested it and folks kind of ran with it. I'm not sure the Mantra needs a compression lock. I'm perfectly happy with the frame lock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I like peanut butter :D and would rather see a Mantra 2XL sans bearings with S110v or 204P. :spyder:
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

The Mantra is rapidly becoming my favorite Spydie. Haven't carried my Delica since. Everything is so right about it; the blade and handle shape, the blade to handle ratio, the thin grind, the slim handle, the feel of the titanium, the detent... Absolutely love it!

BUT there are two things that bother me a little. First, I hate bearings. No other way to put this. I find them gimmicky with no purpose in any knife meant to be carried and used. I have a ZT I've had to disassemble 3 times due to grit getting stuck in the bearings and nearly turning it into a fixed blade. Seeing how smooth my PM2 and Yo2 are, and how little maintenance they require, I really wish Spyderco moved away from bearings. Especially considering that disassembling the knife voids the warranty.

My other gripe is with the steel. I just don't really see the need for M4 in a dressier knife. I'm sure it's a great choice for say, the GB, but I really won't be seeing the benefit in my use of the Mantra. I'd take anything stainless.. VG10, S30V, S35VN, XHP, CPM154, 20CV, 204p, you name it.

Want to push the CQI even further? Round the handles like the Slysz Bowie :D

That being said, a Wharnie Mantra sounds like a dream. Whether I can get over those two issues and spend $170 just to get rid of a tiny amount of belly, I don't know. There are many other Spydies on my wishlist at the moment.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Holland

Post by Holland »

PaleMoon wrote:The Mantra is rapidly becoming my favorite Spydie. Haven't carried my Delica since. Everything is so right about it; the blade and handle shape, the blade to handle ratio, the thin grind, the slim handle, the feel of the titanium, the detent... Absolutely love it!

BUT there are two things that bother me a little. First, I hate bearings. No other way to put this. I find them gimmicky with no purpose in any knife meant to be carried and used. I have a ZT I've had to disassemble 3 times due to grit getting stuck in the bearings and nearly turning it into a fixed blade. Seeing how smooth my PM2 and Yo2 are, and how little maintenance they require, I really wish Spyderco moved away from bearings. Especially considering that disassembling the knife voids the warranty.

My other gripe is with the steel. I just don't really see the need for M4 in a dressier knife. I'm sure it's a great choice for say, the GB, but I really won't be seeing the benefit in my use of the Mantra. I'd take anything stainless.. VG10, S30V, S35VN, XHP, CPM154, 20CV, 204p, you name it.

Want to push the CQI even further? Round the handles like the Slysz Bowie :D

That being said, a Wharnie Mantra sounds like a dream. Whether I can get over those two issues and spend $170 just to get rid of a tiny amount of belly, I don't know. There are many other Spydies on my wishlist at the moment.
I agree with the bearings being overkill, but M4 was my main attraction to this knife and I would be extremely disappointed if they changed it.

M4 is quite stain resistant from my experience and I don't oil my blades. If you use tuff glide you can probably prevent staining fairly easily
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Able Dog wrote:I'd love to see one, and would certainly consider buying one.

Ti framelock, flipper, bearings, CPM M4, and a Wharnie? Sounds excellent.

But are we talking about a very traditional Wharncliffe shape, or a modified Wharnie?

Personally I vote for traditional wharnie, or even a sheepsfoot since I can always shape the tip to my liking.

Ideally it would have a tip similar to my modded Rock Lobster.

~David
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Holland wrote:I agree with the bearings being overkill, but M4 was my main attraction to this knife and I would be extremely disappointed if they changed it.

M4 is quite stain resistant from my experience and I don't oil my blades. If you use tuff glide you can probably prevent staining fairly easily
Mine hasn't shown any staining yet, and I just put Froglube on it to be extra safe. Still, it's always at the back of my mind, and I'd prefer something more worry-free. Staining/patina wouldn't look right on the clean aesthetics of the Mantra IMO. I'm guessing corrosion at the pivot could potentially ruin the flipping action, too.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Corrosion really varies depending on the environment. Lance has used M4 in the ocean and used it to clean fish with no corrosion issues, while I've carried M4 in my pocket WITH Tuf-Glide on the blade and got spot rust. I'm starting to believe that my X-Men mutant power is rusting metal. Maybe me and Magneto should team up.
~David
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I'm in the same boat, apparently. Ever since I moved to the tropics, it seems my sweat will corrode anything, even on days spent inside with full-on AC. On the other hand, back when I lived up north, I couldn't for the life of me get a natural patina started on a Case CV even after several months in the pocket. Ended up sticking it in an orange out of frustration. Same with an Opinel I've had since 2002.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Holland wrote: [...] M4 is quite stain resistant from my experience and I don't oil my blades. [...]
I must disagree... This is a side of the knife that rides close to body after one sunny and sweaty day in pocket.

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:Corrosion really varies depending on the environment. Lance has used M4 in the ocean and used it to clean fish with no corrosion issues, while I've carried M4 in my pocket WITH Tuf-Glide on the blade and got spot rust. I'm starting to believe that my X-Men mutant power is rusting metal. Maybe me and Magneto should team up.
I think it depends a lot on heat treat too. I have had more little rust issues with my BHQ pm2 than I've ever had with either of the m4 knives that Phil made for me and it doesn't see near as much exposure to corrosive substances.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Evil D wrote:
I haven't heard anything about that but I also wasn't following Mantra news very closely until I got one and realized how awesome they are.
Found it here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71454&p=1100238&hil ... 3#p1100238
dplafoll wrote:I hope I'm not giving out info that I shouldn't, but someone in the booth told me at Blade that they're working on a Mantra 3 with a compression lock. [/quote="dplafoll"]

Comp lock flipper will be pretty awesome and a first. So the comp lock, flipper wharnie would be pretty cool also but it might have to be the Mantra 4 :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon