The ocean giveth....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: The ocean giveth....

Post by Surfingringo »

Tdog wrote:Sorry, had to laugh. :D Watching you try to reel that thing in with a broken rod is tooooo funny. You bad :D
Hah, I know right. Luckily the fish was already whipped or I'd have been in big trouble.
Last edited by Surfingringo on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Epic battle!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nicely done! Looked like you had quite the adventure. :D I really enjoyed your video. Wow, you could hear the drag literally screaming off the reel. :D

By chance do you use a GoPro?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow that is a big fish man! My condolences on the loss of the Pac Salt and the rod. You do realize, that H1 steel is not going to rust down there, and even if it stays there for 1000 years, it will probably look as shiny as it was when it went under. You think so?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sorry to hear about the loss. Maybe consider a kydex mount for your next knife? Or one of those key fob floats?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

araneae, that is actually a good design idea. What do you think of that, Lance, and others here, who are into water based activities and use Spyderco knives? Something like a special-purpose holster/sheath set that can be worn on the body (ie attached to a belt or vest or jacket) and which can also be attached to a boat or kayak, and which has a quick-draw feature so you can pull the knife out, use it, and then safely lock it back into the holster? Or would this be getting too far away from the basic and original pocket clip concept?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Lance, you're a machine! Awesome fish mate! Well done! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

It's only a knife, but that fish was amazing!!!!!!! So cool, thanks for sharing the video!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

As always Lance, thanks for sharing. Tight lines and good times!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Awesome video, Lance, and great catch. The broken rod is almost worth it for the story/video that results. :D

Here's what I ended up with this weekend. Clipped in my pocket is one of the very first Tasman Salts ever produced, which has been with me on pretty much on every boat-based fishing trip I've ever been on, plus several oil spill responses.
Screen shot 2016-08-22 at 4.54.31 PM.png
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Lance,

Great catch & story! 35$ a year is definitely worth the fun you have all along ;)

Which is bigger, this Rooster or the Snapper (?) in your profile photo?
Chris :spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

anagarika wrote:Lance,

Great catch & story! 35$ a year is definitely worth the fun you have all along ;)

Hey Chris, the Rooster is a bit bigger. :)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Surfingringo wrote:
anagarika wrote:Lance,

Hey Chris, the Rooster is a bit bigger. :)
Great post title and great fish Lance. As soon as I read the title I thought, uh oh, this is about a lost knife.

Now about this fishing every day gig. How do we sign up???
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:araneae, that is actually a good design idea. What do you think of that, Lance, and others here, who are into water based activities and use Spyderco knives? Something like a special-purpose holster/sheath set that can be worn on the body (ie attached to a belt or vest or jacket) and which can also be attached to a boat or kayak, and which has a quick-draw feature so you can pull the knife out, use it, and then safely lock it back into the holster? Or would this be getting too far away from the basic and original pocket clip concept?
What about a Snap-it Salt? ;)
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice catch, Lance!

I have a great idea. You can sell tickets to "Find Lance's Knives". Everyone buys a ticket and you take them out and let them dive and try to find one of your lost knives. If they find one they win some sort of prize. There must be a number of them to find. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Bet that fish gave you a bit of a ride eh? Sad about the Atlantic Salt and the rod. Maybe it is a sign you need new ones?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Lance needs to find away to attach his knives to the boat so he doesn't keep losing them. :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Joyce Laituri wrote:Bet that fish gave you a bit of a ride eh? Sad about the Atlantic Salt and the rod. Maybe it is a sign you need new ones?
Hi Joyce. It was a Pacific, and yeah, it was about time for a replacement anyway. :) I kind of would have rather retired that one though. The teeth were getting old and rounded and the handle was full of scars from prying open fish mouths, and it had that wonderful smell that you can only get from leaving it in the sink covered in fish goo every night for years. Smells like....victory. :cool: :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm really surprised you don't use some kind of paracord lanyard. I know I wouldn't want a sharp knife dangling around my neck or wrist, but make a ~4 foot line and clip it to the kayak so you can drop the knife if needed and still be able to retrieve it later.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Evil D wrote:I'm really surprised you don't use some kind of paracord lanyard. I know I wouldn't want a sharp knife dangling around my neck or wrist, but make a ~4 foot line and clip it to the kayak so you can drop the knife if needed and still be able to retrieve it later.
See post #23. I have a cord going to my pliers and I have had them banging into my legs when tangled with a large hot fish as he was thrashing around. Losing a knife kinda sucks but it beats a severed artery.

Of course, I could close the knife every time after use and that would keep it safe but then it would take longer to use it when there's lots going on and seconds are precious.

For further disclosure, I have also lost two gaffs, two paddles, 3 different $200 pair of sunglasses, three separate rods and reels, two tackle boxes full of lures, a $450 seat, a $550 pedal drive and various other articles. I am on the water everyday and have a good system with lanyards for most items but I fish in big nasty conditions. I make surf launches in overhead waves and when its big I fish around outer reefs with 15'+ breaking waves. Anyone kayak fishing in these kind of conditions (most never will) who says they aren't giving anything to the sea gods is lying to you.I could keep lanyards attached to rods and reels and gaffs and paddles and drives while I'm fishing but fishing would become a nightmare with cords running everywhere. My system is to use lanyards when launching and landing which is when 99% of mishaps can occur. When I'm on the open water fishing the lanyards are disconnected and stowed out of the way. Occasionally something goes in the drink and I just look at that as part of the game. I could prevent it but every precaution comes at a cost in convenience.