A Military and an Endura walk into a bar...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BOOMER52

A Military and an Endura walk into a bar...

Post by BOOMER52 »

New project…

I'll be creating this 'Military'esque' looking Endura in the next few weeks once I have my machining backlog eliminated.

I did something similar with the Delica and I've dubbed it the GrindMod Delica/Lil'Para.

I'll document my progress...
Holland

Re: A Military and an Endura walk into a bar...

Post by Holland »

Awesome idea! Looking forward to seeing your progress
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

If the Endura scales turn out as nice as the Delica scales did you'll have a winner for sure!

This has become one of my favorite knives! The G10 is grippy, the two-tone looks great, and for some reason, the action is really smooth. I'm really hopeful that the new, smaller version of the PM2 is close to this size and thickness because this really is ideal for me.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Very impressive!
JasonC6612

Post by JasonC6612 »

Sharp Guy wrote:If the Endura scales turn out as nice as the Delica scales did you'll have a winner for sure!

This has become one of my favorite knives! The G10 is grippy, the two-tone looks great, and for some reason, the action is really smooth. I'm really hopeful that the new, smaller version of the PM2 is close to this size and thickness because this really is ideal for me.

How did you get one? Did Spyderco make this?
ヽ(•‿•)ノ
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

All hail the R!
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

Looks like a great project. I can't wait to see the final outcome. The "R" is a great looking knife, I wish they still made that.
:spyder: jstrange
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JasonC6612 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:If the Endura scales turn out as nice as the Delica scales did you'll have a winner for sure!

How did you get one? Did Spyderco make this?
These are aftermarket scales added to a Delica. You have to do a simple mod to the liners to accomodate the finger choil. These are made by the OP (BOOMER52). Send him a PM for more info.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am waiting on him to send some Delica scales, now. We were discussing this same design on a couple of threads on the other forum and Boomer pops up with this design. I am going to get a set for my Endura, as soon as he is ready.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I really like the looks of this, Boomer. Looks like a great mod for the Endura.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you had done either of these with the same general handle shape but without the choil, I'd probably be buying one of each, definitely one set for a Delica.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

jstrange wrote:Looks like a great project. I can't wait to see the final outcome. The "R" is a great looking knife, I wish they still made that.
The R is a strange bird, in that it seems like they never really "made it" in the standard production sense. There were 3 different versions but they were all limited production or sprints. The original had a skeletonized blade and handle, and I think they were playing with what they could do with their laser cutting technology. As such it appears to have been relatively limited in production. The the other two were sprints, one had just a skeletonized handle, and the most recent sprint was made with a nishijin handle. I agree that the R deserves another run, and that people often request a combination of features that is actually the R without knowing it. I personally would love to see a 3D machined handle on one, which would be in keeping with the skeletonized history. Another Wouter pic showing the R lineage. I'm forever searching for a decently priced original.

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Boomer, very nice looking work. May I offer one observation? Looking at the drawings I am a bit concerned that between adding the choil and the big hump at the butt, the grip could be a bit small when not using the choil. It seems if the rear bump were tamed down a bit it might offer more space and fit more hand sizes. I'm just making these observations based on what it looks like from the drawings so if you've already tested it and I'm off base then that's great. Just throwing in my 2 cents. Cool work you do either way. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:If you had done either of these with the same general handle shape but without the choil, I'd probably be buying one of each, definitely one set for a Delica.
As far as I recall he does make a set for the Delica without a choil.
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

Surfingringo wrote:Hi Boomer, very nice looking work. May I offer one observation? Looking at the drawings I am a bit concerned that between adding the choil and the big hump at the butt, the grip could be a bit small when not using the choil. It seems if the rear bump were tamed down a bit it might offer more space and fit more hand sizes. I'm just making these observations based on what it looks like from the drawings so if you've already tested it and I'm off base then that's great. Just throwing in my 2 cents. Cool work you do either way. :)
Yeah… ergo's and comfort are yet to be determined. That will only happen with the first prototype set of scales off the machine.

At this early stage I've done little more than plunk a Military profile over the Endura frame. I did however tweak the choil nose slightly so that with the blade closed the sharp corner of the lock notch was buried.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

BOOMER52 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:Hi Boomer, very nice looking work. May I offer one observation? Looking at the drawings I am a bit concerned that between adding the choil and the big hump at the butt, the grip could be a bit small when not using the choil. It seems if the rear bump were tamed down a bit it might offer more space and fit more hand sizes. I'm just making these observations based on what it looks like from the drawings so if you've already tested it and I'm off base then that's great. Just throwing in my 2 cents. Cool work you do either way. :)
Yeah… ergo's and comfort are yet to be determined. That will only happen with the first prototype set of scales off the machine.

At this early stage I've done little more than plunk a Military profile over the Endura frame. I did however tweak the choil nose slightly so that with the blade closed the sharp corner of the lock notch was buried.
Cool man, I look forward to seeing the finished product. Your delica mod is really nice.
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Wanting a Delica now.....
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.