Kopa nut

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jerryh

Re: Kopa nut

Post by jerryh »

sal wrote:Hi Jerry,

I must say that we have gotten some very nice samples from them recently and so I'm thinking positively.

sal
Thanks for the feedback Sal.

I was recently able to buy a giraffe bone Kopa (replace the one I lost) - it hasn't even gotten here yet.

Regards, Jerry
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

',,,,,,,,,,, best news, which i heard in a while. GO clipless Kopa.

Clipless? Personally - no matter how small, I don't care for a knife loose in the bottom of my pocket (I also find the bulky car keys of today to be most uncomfortable loose in my pocket also). I have a few kiwis and as small a they are - I still don't like them loose in my pocket - that's just me.

Regards, Jerry
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I carry my Kopa in a watch pocket, so clip is just adding thickness and makes less comfortable carry. If you remove a clip, this will expose a recess in the bolster and screw holes, which do not add beauty to the knife, but make it ugly. Also I do not like a clip idea for gents knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

bh49 wrote:I carry my Kopa in a watch pocket, so clip is just adding thickness and makes less comfortable carry. If you remove a clip, this will expose a recess in the bolster and screw holes, which do not add beauty to the knife, but make it ugly. Also I do not like a clip idea for gents knife.
a
I would agree concerning beauty & empty screw holes. Carry in the watch pocket is good -- once in a while I'm forced into wearing pants that don't have a watch pocket -- a small, hand finished, discreet clip for me. - - I reckon that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Once when my boy was 12 or so - for some reason he and I were talking about ice cream. When I threw out the chocolate and vanilla bit -- he said chocolate was better than vanilla. When I told him that vanilla out sold chocolate many times over -- he simply couldn't believe that others 'didn't ' think as he - about chocolate being the best. I agreed with him (kinda) -- I preferred chocolate also.

Clipped or clipless - a Damascus Kopa would be one fine looking knife.
sal

Post by sal »

The Kopa was designed to explore varieties of handle materials. The project was halted because the maker was not able to work with the materials that we wanted.

So just for the sake of discussion; let's create a list of materials that could be possible.

sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jerryh wrote: Once when my boy was 12 or so - for some reason he and I were talking about ice cream. When I threw out the chocolate and vanilla bit -- he said chocolate was better than vanilla. When I told him that vanilla out sold chocolate many times over -- he simply couldn't believe that others 'didn't ' think as he - about chocolate being the best. I agreed with him (kinda) -- I preferred chocolate also.
Totally agree on chocolate ice-cream. And if vanilla really really outsell chocolate, this can mean only one thing that we do not eat chocolate ice-cream enough :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:The Kopa was designed to explore varieties of handle materials. The project was halted because the maker was not able to work with the materials that we wanted.

So just for the sake of discussion; let's create a list of materials that could be possible.

sal
Stabilized woods:
Masur Birch
Snakewood
Lacewood
Birdseye Maple
Desert Ironwood
Curly Maple
Curly Koa

Animala byproducts:
Camel Bone
Bison Bone
Sambar Stag
Shed Elk Antler
Rams Horn
Buffalo Horn
Bison Horn
Stabilized Alligator, Crocodile, or Armadillo skin

Stone:
Malachite
Lapis Lazuli
Yule Marble (Colorado's State Rock)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mattman

Post by mattman »

Petoskey stone
Meteorite
(Was there a turquoise iteration yet?)
jerryh

Post by jerryh »

The Deacon wrote:
sal wrote:The Kopa was designed to explore varieties of handle materials. The project was halted because the maker was not able to work with the materials that we wanted.

sal
Stabilized woods:
Masur Birch, Snakewood, Lacewood, Birdseye Maple,
Desert Ironwood, Curly Maple, Curly Koa

Animala byproducts:
Camel Bone, Bison Bone, Sambar Stag , Shed Elk Antler, Rams Horn,
Buffalo Horn, Bison Horn, Stabilized Alligator, Crocodile, or Armadillo skin

Stone:
Malachite, Lapis Lazuli, Yule Marble (Colorado's State Rock)
Deacon covered it well -- truth is there are numerous wood, animal, stone materials options -- cut, polished, died -- the list is long. Not to mention the possibility of Custom bolsters --
I tend to prefer organic type scale material. I put armadillo shell on a North American arms pistol, they look 'great'. -- Me, I would love to have a Damascus Kopa with Mammoth tusk scales.

As to the chocolate ice cream -- I work hard at moving it to the top of the list!!

Regards, Jerry
scales pistol a 4 sml.jpg