Wharncliffe Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Wharncliffe Dragonfly

Post by MichaelScott »

As long as the Wharncliffe Delica is under consideration, I'd like to know who would like a Wharncliffe Dragonfly? I'd surely go for the current Dragonfly 2 FRN with a Wharncliffe blade. Could become my all around favorite carry everywhere do almost anything folder.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Re: Wharncliffe Dragonfly

Post by Evil D »

Well, like almost any wharnie conversion I'm in with both feet.

But, I'd much rather have a hawkbill Dragonfly. My reasoning is that the standard Dragonfly blade is already fairly straight and the point is really low anyway. But, I would also probably carry a wharnie version more than the standard version, so it's still a good idea in my book.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Now That I have both a wharncliffe and a standard Urban, I can say That I prefer the leaf blade, for aesthetics and function. So no wharnie D'fly needed for me.

One of the bummers of the Urban wharnie is how thick the edge grind is, almost like the one I got was intended to be ground SE, but wasn't :(
Even if it was thin at the edge like my BB forum Urban, I'd still like the leaf blade shape best.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I do like the shape of the DF2 blade, especially the thinness of it. I think that really makes the knife more useful. I just prefer Wharncliffe blade shapes for general all-around use since I seldom use a belly on a blade any more.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ray Allen

Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

After spending much, much time with my 4th Yojimbo2 this last year, I can honestly say I lust for a PM2 in S110V with a Wharnie blade. Oh Baby....!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

awa54 wrote:Now That I have both a wharncliffe and a standard Urban, I can say That I prefer the leaf blade, for aesthetics and function. So no wharnie D'fly needed for me.

One of the bummers of the Urban wharnie is how thick the edge grind is, almost like the one I got was intended to be ground SE, but wasn't :(
Even if it was thin at the edge like my BB forum Urban, I'd still like the leaf blade shape best.
Agreed, leaf is essentially a wharn with belly
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'd really like to see either a flipper version of the Yo2, or a Domino with a Wharncliffe blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:I'd really like to see either a flipper version of the Yo2, or a Domino with a Wharncliffe blade.
A flipper would ruin thumb placement on the Yojimbo 2 but what about a wharnie Mantra 3? We already have two blade versions, why not make a third?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
MacLaren wrote:I'd really like to see either a flipper version of the Yo2, or a Domino with a Wharncliffe blade.
A flipper would ruin thumb placement on the Yojimbo 2 but what about a wharnie Mantra 3? We already have two blade versions, why not make a third?
Wow....I didn't even realize that David.
Mantra sounds good man!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Although the Dfly is already practically a wharncliffe with a belly, the only problem i see lies with the existing handle shape. Look at a Dfly, and look at where the point sits when the knife is closed. I always thought you could make a hawkbill shaped blade fit the existing handle, but I think if you wanted a straight edged wharncliffe blade you would have to significantly redesign the handle of the dfly to make it fit. That being said i wouldnt be opposed to a dfly sized wharncliffe.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Every time I see a wharncliffe blade, I can't help thinking it's just a glorified utility knife. But I have to admit, after watching Michael Janich's evolution of the Yojimbo 2 video on youtube last night, it kind of made me want one...funny how that works!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
LC Kid

Let's Be the Wharnie D'Fly!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

A Wharnie D'Fly? :cool:

Been asking that for YEARS... :rolleyes: