The K2 Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

The K2 Thread

Post by MacLaren »

In honor of the Spyderco K2, and the special offer that all were able to take place in, and also due to the fact that the K2 may be going the way of the Dodo.....I thought I might start a thread for any and all to put pics, along with your thoughts, impressions and experiences with this beast of a Spydie.
This is my 2nd K2. I regrettably sold my 1st. But I can say with absolutely certainty that I'll be keeping this K2.
My 1st K2 came with no lock stick. Just a great Spydie.
My new one has just a little. Other than that, she's a perfect specimen in my novice opinion.
Look forward to seeing other posts and pics if anyone decides to. If not, thats cool too. This thread can also go the way of the Dodo :D
Here's some pics of my K2, that I received this morning:
Ankerson

Re: The K2 Thread

Post by Ankerson »

I think the K2 is a great knife, one of the better folders for outside type tasks like dealing with game etc because it's so easy to keep clean and CPM 10V holds an edge for a very long time. The knife is built very strong also.
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I too had a K2 and sold it, and now have another on the way. It's kind of a ridiculous size for someone who likes smaller folding knives but in the end it's a heckuva blade. Here are some size comparison photos of my old K2 while I wait for the new one to arrive...

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Jim!
Great pics sensorsquare!!
I too have a ZT 0562CF in M390 :D

.....I better not digress anymore than that. :o
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Mine arrived today as well. A day early! I just ordered it yesterday from KW. The lock stick on mine is noticeable, but minimal, and doesnt bother me at all. I plan on using this slicey beast in the kitchen when preparing and breaking down large cuts of wild game this winter. I field dress ALOT of game throughout the year and have realized I prefer a slightly smaller blade for that. (my new Stretch should fit the bill). Regardless, this big boy will see some heavy use out at the ranch. Cant wait. Ohh ya, pics to come.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Mine came in today too. I bought one of these early last year, but decided to get a backup and get my original K2 reground.

My old K2 has some lock stick, but this new one does not. The edge grind looks much better too. I have to wonder if some of the lock stick issues were from an early batch that wasn't quite right. Regardless, I am very satisfied with the new one.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Back when I was looking for a big folder....I made a bad call I went with a Tatonka. Horrible knife I should have picked up a K2 instead. I just didn't want to drop $250 on in...but now that they are being offered at under $150, it's hard to pass up. If I didn't just drop a huge chunk of change on another large folder (Shiro 111), I would be all over this. The blade grind is sooooo sweet. I handled one in the past and it feels solid and you can feel the quality. There is a LOT of titanium and a LOT of CPM 10V here at a fraction of the cost. I do want one!!

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Quite the alternative to the Nirvana cost wise, but I passed on the great deal.

I think 10V will eventually be available in a knife I'll like and use more.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

mrtodd777 wrote:Mine arrived today as well. A day early! I just ordered it yesterday from KW. The lock stick on mine is noticeable, but minimal, and doesnt bother me at all. I plan on using this slicey beast in the kitchen when preparing and breaking down large cuts of wild game this winter. I field dress ALOT of game throughout the year and have realized I prefer a slightly smaller blade for that. (my new Stretch should fit the bill). Regardless, this big boy will see some heavy use out at the ranch. Cant wait. Ohh ya, pics to come.
My lock stick is noticeable, but minimal as well.
I cannot help but wander why Spyderco didn't carberize the lock face with tungsten? That eliminates any lock stick. I know on the smaller folder, the Domino has a steel insert. And another knife I have thats titanium is carberized with Tungsten and its just butter! Also, another company, although a Mid Tech, makes large titanium folders, one of their main selling points is the carberization - thus eliminating any lock stick resulting in very smooth, very reliable action. And I can attest that it works lol. Maybe its a major cost.
However, after talking with a friend about this, I could certainly see how this may have been done intentionally too. For very good lock up, because this is the last blade you would want slip and come back on ya lol....oh man.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My K2 will be making a trip to see Josh at R.E.K.
Gonna have one scale sculpted and the other rounded off.
Thats my plan for it thus far anyways.
A friend of mine had his done and it looks fantastic!
Ill be sure to post some pics of it when completed.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Today's carry. A little big and a little small. ;)

With some other Spydies with upswept tips.

With the smallest Spydie I own.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow......nice Darby.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

bearfacedkiller wrote: With some other Spydies with upswept tips.
Interesting picture... I did not realise the K2 was the same size as the Bradley Bowie... No offense, but I know which one my hand would love more after 10 mins of hard carving, and it doesn't start with a K... ;)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bearfacedkiller

Yes, they are very similar. More similar than I would have guessed. The spines are different but the edge profiles are really similar and they are very similar in size. There is a big difference in the grind on the tips of these three though. The Lionspy has a very thick tip, the Bradley is less robust but still thick and the K2 is thin like a Military. I'll go take a pic.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

From left to right. LionSpy (fullsize), Bradley Bowie, Farid K2 and S110V Para2. The Para2 was was easier to grab than a Military at the moment.

The K2 is more of a slicer than a pry bar. I have done some hard drilling and digging into wood with the Bradley Bowie that the K2 couldn't do due to the thinner tip and the fact that the Bradley Bowie has a slightly more negative blade angle. The PSF27 should be a bit tougher too.

-Darby
bearfacedkiller

MacLaren wrote:Wow......nice Darby.
Thanks! This thing has me all smitten. This was a real sleeper for me. I did not expect to like it this much. I am seriously considering getting another. I started the thread that got the ball rolling on the Lil' K2 and now I am even more glad I did. That Lil' version is gonna be saweet. The main thing holding this K2 back is it's size. It is absolutely huge. The blade to handle ratio on it is awesome due to the fact that the tip is as close to the but of the handle as possible and that fact that the pivot is very close to the top of the knife. When you open it it's surprising that that much blade comes out, both in length and width. It is a super slicey beast!
-Darby
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thanks! This thing has me all smitten. This was a real sleeper for me. I did not expect to like it this much. I am seriously considering getting another. I started the thread that got the ball rolling on the Lil' K2 and now I am even more glad I did. That Lil' version is gonna be saweet. The main thing holding this K2 back is it's size. It is absolutely huge. The blade to handle ratio on it is awesome due to the fact that the tip is as close to the but of the handle as possible and that fact that the pivot is very close to the top of the knife. When you open it it's surprising that that much blade comes out, both in length and width. It is a super slicey beast!
Exactly what I was thinking regarding the blade to handle ratio. When you flick this thing open, you cant help but marvel at the size of the blade! I cant believe it fits in that handle.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I'm waiting for the lil K2
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Lol....oh heck yeah she is.
I'm soooo wanting to get another just to have.
The K2, will be a sought after blade before long imho.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Yeah, once they are all gone people will be screaming they can't find one etc. LOL :D