The K2 Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Flipping Addict

Re: The K2 Thread

Post by Flipping Addict »

I took a chance and placed an order for a K2 last night with a comment on the order to please pick me out one without lock stick or cancel the order.

They called today and said they had to cancel it. Guess that says it all.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Finally had to sharpen mine today and it wasn't bad at all. I like this steel already.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Bend the lockbar out a little to reduce tension and the lock stick goes away... Have done this on two of them now with the same result.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Matt Deaner wrote:Bend the lockbar out a little to reduce tension and the lock stick goes away...
Have done this on two of them now with the same result.
How do you do that exactly? How far out do you bend it?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Matt Deaner wrote:Bend the lockbar out a little to reduce tension and the lock stick goes away...
Are you still getting lock stick on yours Mac, mine came with very little and after a week of using has totally gone away, I'm alos wondering how he is getting by the lockbar stop when bending.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

farnorthdan wrote:Are you still getting lock stick on yours Mac, mine came with very little and after a week of using has totally gone away, I'm also wondering how he is getting by the lockbar stop when bending.
Mine was impossible to unlock one hand at first, but it's getting better.
Sometimes smooth as silk. Other times still impossible to one hand.
My thumb is trying to reject my body.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Mad Mac wrote:
You have to disassemble the knife. I recommend doing it from the opposite side from the clip. Heat the screws with a heat gun or solder iron. They are locked in pretty good with locktite. Remove the two screws with a torx bit (t-9 if I remember correctly). Now separate the knife.

On the scale with the lock bar, there is a steel disk. This is an over travel stop. Remove it.

Now, put the scale on a piece of paper, bottom edge down. Get a pencil and trace how far the lock bar goes. Reassemble knife without the screws. Measure distance from outer clip scale to the inside of the opposite scale. Mark this measurement on your paper. The goal is to rebend the bar so that it comes to rest on the inner measurement, and not the original position.

Now, slowly and carefully bend until it likes up with the inner measurement, plus maybe just a little more tension, reassemble.

Obviously this voids the warranty.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Thank you, Matt.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If you keep unlocking it, it will break in as opposed to possibly over bending the lock bar. I honestly kept opening and closing mine until it broke in and one of my problems was my fingers would be pushing against the lock bar while trying to unlock it. Using my left hand was easier because my fingers were gripping the other scale
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I had a similar problem on my Rubicon I got last year. Had to use two hands to unlock it, but it eventually broke in and locks up nice and tight now! This was my first and only experience with a titanium locker, but this issue seems to be pretty common.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 416,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

I've found that using a bit of Electrician's Anti-Ox compound or even drawing on the blade tang with a thick layer of Sharpie permanent marker can help to minimize stick without having to disassemble the knife.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Yes, disassembly certainly isn't for everyone!

I have quite a bit of experience with disassembling and tuning revolvers (including spring bending) so I felt comfortable with the approach I took.
Flipping Addict

After their call I just decided it was not meant to be that I have this knife. Interestingly they told me that Farid designed this knife to stick and pretty much any of them that don't aren't acting as designed. They flat outside you should not be able to close this knife one-handed. And I won't have any knife I can't easily close with one hand. So, moving on.

On a side note, I did pick up a Chubby from them this week and it is already on the exchange. Nice knife but it is so stiff to open and the liner edge so sharp I just did not enjoy messing with it. Thought about modding it but changed mind and will just take my licking and look else where for a small ti knife. Looooooove my Sage 2. Might just get a back up to that. That dude is so easy to open and close.
Comedie

Post by Comedie »

Was looking at these a few times in the past, but price turned me off. Now at $150ish on clearances, why not? Ordered 2, figuring that either one of my buddies will want one, or maybe just to leave in the box and wait for people to later want it. More blade than I will carry much. The S110V Manix has been in my pocket for quite awhile now. But I had the ZT 0200 in my pocket for a long time before that, so who knows.... the K2 might become the 'always in the pocket' knife.
Been wondering about that steel, so now going to find out how patient I am with the Spyderco sharpener
Flipping Addict

NickShabazz wrote:I've found that using a bit of Electrician's Anti-Ox compound or even drawing on the blade tang with a thick layer of Sharpie permanent marker can help to minimize stick without having to disassemble the knife.
Hey Nick, while I am not a fan of modding or markers or compounds to make a knife work for me, I am a fan of your videos. Your reviews are the first I go to. I actually looked for your review of the K2, but couldn't find one. I knew you would tell me the 'ugly' about the lock stick or not. : ). Keep them coming, good stuff!
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Flipping Addict wrote:
NickShabazz wrote:I've found that using a bit of Electrician's Anti-Ox compound or even drawing on the blade tang with a thick layer of Sharpie permanent marker can help to minimize stick without having to disassemble the knife.
Hey Nick, while I am not a fan of modding or markers or compounds to make a knife work for me, I am a fan of your videos. Your reviews are the first I go to. I actually looked for your review of the K2, but couldn't find one. I knew you would tell me the 'ugly' about the lock stick or not. : ). Keep them coming, good stuff!
I hear you, but if a $2 Sharpie is what's standing between me and loving my $200+ knife, you go for it! And I'd love to handle a K2 someday, but I've never had one cross my desk. Here's hoping! Thanks for the kind works.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Flipping Addict

Boy, had this in my cart and ALMOST pulled the trigger. Them watched a random youtube review and the reviewer hated the lock stick. Caused me to back out once again.. Hate it when I really want a knife but one thing about it is a deal breaker. What I really really want is a Slysz but at $300 will never happen. If only that knife were $200.

Part of me says get it, if really bad lock stick, should be able to sell on exchange easily enough. Took about 1 hour to sell my Chubby this morning.
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

I also picked up a K2 from KC on sale. Feels great in the hand. What a beast!!

USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Here is my K2 after some spine modifications. I just wasn't getting along well with the upswept tip.

I posted this in the mini K2 thread, and thought it really belongs in this one....