Essentialism: what are your "vital few" Spydies?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fanch_Man

Essentialism: what are your "vital few" Spydies?

Post by Fanch_Man »

For those who don't already know, there's a book called Essentialism by Greg McKeown that - as you would assume from the title - discusses getting rid of the clutter in life. One of the main concepts is "less is more" and he defines it as "distinguishing between the trivial many and the vital few."

Now I know I'm probably barking up the wrong tree for quite a lot of you (of whom I'm 100% certain would say that ALL of your Spydies are the vital ones :D :cool: :spyder: ), but I'm curious if there's anyone out there who intentionally limits their purchases to knives they can and will use regularly, and if so, what those knives are. For all the rest of you, if you were to play this hypothetical game, which Spydies would be the ones you would hang on to as the essentials?

Fanch
dplafoll

Re: Essentialism: what are your "vital few" Spydies?

Post by dplafoll »

I've been budget-limited, so I curate my choices very carefully. Also, because I can only buy so many, I decided when I started to only buy users (at least until the point where I can spend, say, $500 on something out of petty cash and without discussing with the wife). So I carry all of my knives, including the Nirvana that I carried yesterday.
Best: Nirvana
Favorite: Mantra
Most meaningful: Delica 4 (surprise Xmas gift from the wife)
If I absolutely had to keep only 1, and ignoring sentiment, it would be the Mantra or the HAP40 Dragonfly. With the sentiment, it would be the Delica.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Holland

Post by Holland »

I could live the rest of my life with just these 4:

Dragonfly salt se
Chaparral 1
Mantra 1
Gayle bradley 1
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Today?

Slysz Bowie
Manix2 LW S110v
GB1
Dragonfly2 H1
Maybe a Sage or Native5 as well. Love the Chaparral. How about that new M4 PM2.... ARGH
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Limit purchases and FND have not been used in the same sentence for many years now :o I do long for a simplification of my life though, someday soon I hope, maybe once the kids are out of the house. Some day when I sell of the collection and simplify my life I feel I could get by just fine with a Military, Delica and my beloved SB manbug. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
LC Kid

My 'Vital Five'

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Guess my 'Vital Few' Spydies are: :cool:

- Slysz Bowie

- Techno

- Para2 CTS-204P

- Caly 3 Super Blue

- Green Lime Jester
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

For me, the best Spy's are:
Slysz bowie
Millies
Para2
Gayle Bradley
Techno
Preference, depend on the day
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am actually a minimalist in most of my life. Knives are the main exception for me and make up almost all of my unnecessary spending. My knives, my tools and my hunting/fishing/camping gear is all I need in life besides my dog and my family. If something ever happened in my life and I was in a bad place and had to sell off the collection I could easily get by only keeping these Spydies. I still consider myself a hoarder and not a collector. I still, no matter how dillusional it may seem, always have to convince myself that there is a reason that I need to buy each new knife.

Cruwear Military
M4 Para2
HAP40 Delica
S110V Mule
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I could probably get by with a PM2 and an Aqua Salt SE fixed blade. Those 2 seem to be working perfect for me right now.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Many Spydie's come and go in my collection (all users) but these two are the constants -

S110V Para 2
Phil Wilson Southfork

Looks like the 52100 Millie will join these two as permanent keepers, but it's still early yet with that one.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have hundreds, many of which are just collectibles, quite a few which are not. However, if I had to pick a "vital few" among my users, it would be these:

Burgundy Micarta Jester - it's been on my key ring for over 13 years.

Bolstered Cocobolo Stretch - my favorite large Spyderco, in my favorite steel, and a priceless gift from someone I deeply respect.

Sambar Stag Kiwi - the knife that serves as my avatar. My favorite midsize Spyderco and a "personal statement" with scale material and engraving patterns selected by me.

Mini Santoku - actually a K04 Large Utility modified by a fellow forumite for me and my most used kitchen knife ever since.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Could live the rest of my life with just a Delica 4. If I'm allowed two knives then the PM2 would have to be my second pick. The past almost two years when I began this spyderco affliction I have owned close to 100 Spydies if not more but I am down to 8 currently. Less is more in my book especially if you get to catch and release often.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

#1. Paramilitary 2
The Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, and Stretch 2 share time as my second favorite(s).
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Cruwear Millie
Hap40 Delica
M390 Para2
Pac Salt serrated
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like the sound of that book and it is kind of how I try to live my life. Clutter is enslaving and I like being free.

That said, I have way more than three and I'm sure I always will. If I had to practice strict minimalism with my knives, here is what I would keep and why.

1. Pacific Salt- This one is an essential tool for my main activity in life which is saltwater kayak fishing.
2. Southfork- This because it is a very versatile fixed blade for my uses. Everything from kitchen work to fish cleaning.
3. Stretch- Because I need a plain edge edc knife and the Stretch is a comfortable and nicely sized "one knife does all" design. Hap40 if I get to pick my blade steel.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Vital :spyder:s for me are...

- Triangle Sharpmaker + Diamond Triangle Stones: To me it counts as a :spyder: because no matter what vital :spyder: knives you have, ya gotta have something to keep 'em sharp! :)

- Military PE

- Manix PE (preferably the original C95)

- Delica 4 PE

- Delica 4 SE

- Assist
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I need a serrated endura for work and a serrated delica for home.

The rest are just a bonus I guess
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Hmm.....essentials....

Picking one.....Millie in a plus-stainless steel like S90V...
Choosing 2 more....Bradley in M4, probably GB2 and a decent backlock....Caly 3.5, I think in ZDP....
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Waterbug, good call. I could never part with my Sharpmaker either. It is vital. Even If I only had one knife I would keep that thing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
10just

Post by 10just »

lets hear it for those PM2s baby!!!!!

me:

PM2 s30v

Manix LW s110

Stretch vg10