If I were upgrading the Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

Re: If I were upgrading the Delica

Post by dplafoll »

One thing to remember is that the Chaparral is the only lockback from Taichung, and the Native is the only lockback from Golden, and the Delica family is all from Japan. They may not be able to do a whole lot to change the lock if that's how the Japan OEM(s) make their locks.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

^
That makes a good point, but also raises a few questions. Does a Spyderco give them some basic designs/criteria and then let them make the knife how they chose, or does Spyderco design the knife and have them make it? If it's the latter, then I would think the manufacturer could implement design changes or improvements into product at the request of Spyderco. Assuming that the changes are not too radical and that they are capable of doing so.
Last edited by jstrange on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
:spyder: jstrange
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I would think upgrading to the Native style back lock would increase weight.

I'm very happy with the way the Delica is now. I disagree with the idea of lengthening the blade. The current length gives the perfect amount of tip control for me. Make it any longer and you lose some of that ability. Definitely don't thicken the blade either. There are plenty of other knives with thicker stock. The Delica is a great slicer, let's keep it that way.

I do agree with what someone mentioned about using a different coating on the pocket clip. Switch to a silver clip or parkerize it like the Golden made black clips. Also would love to see HAP40 in regular production, but I doubt that'll ever happen because it's not a stainless steel.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I say it's more than fine how it is. I'll say this again though - we need another HAP 40 run of Delicas, please. Also, if you're any kind of Wharncliffe or straight edge fan, just wait til you get your hands on a Delica Wharnie, and if you're not, I think it'll change your mind. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Stronger back lock , longer blade and silver clip should be enough.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Jazz wrote:I say it's more than fine how it is. I'll say this again though - we need another HAP 40 run of Delicas, please. Also, if you're any kind of Wharncliffe or straight edge fan, just wait til you get your hands on a Delica Wharnie, and if you're not, I think it'll change your mind. ;)
Eagerly awaiting this knife's release... Any eta?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

dplafoll wrote:One thing to remember is that the Chaparral is the only lockback from Taichung, and the Native is the only lockback from Golden, and the Delica family is all from Japan. They may not be able to do a whole lot to change the lock if that's how the Japan OEM(s) make their locks.
The Tatanka come from Japan, I believe. I'm sure they can modify the lock design if they wanted to. Doing so may increase the thickness of the knife though which may be something they want to avoid.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Spydergirl88 wrote: Eagerly awaiting this knife's release... Any eta?
I'd like to know also. I really want a couple - nice shiny new VG 10 blades with the Spyderco logo on them. The proto is beautiful, but it's missing the bug. :eek: :p Also, I don't really want to wear it out any further. Maybe Sal will let us know soon. Should be quicker because it already has a handle made.
- best wishes, Jazz.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Not sure if there is much I would change about the Delica 4. Stronger locks are great but the extra complexity, finishing or material will make them more expensive. Have used a Delica for a lot of years and never had an issue with lock strength.

Steel choices would be nice but am pretty happy with VG10, ZDP and Hap40.

The only thing I would like to see is SE and CE in the full flat ground versions (different steel options for SE as well) and the availability of a G10 handled version.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Watched Jazz's video (thanks, Jazz for putting that together). I'd say it makes the point that the Delica platform is perfect for a true every day use knife, especially with a Wharncliffe blade. I'm actually quite happy with the Delica's other features and a Wharncliffe blade would be the icing on that cake. I will certainly get one when they become available.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

harronek wrote:The only changes needed are make Hap40 steel standard production , and improve the black paint on the clip so it doesn't wear off and scratch at the slightest bump and knock .

Ken
No more coating on the clip. It doesn't last.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Leave my Delica alone! ;)

Pretty much love my Delica 4s just the way they are. Fit my hand even better than my old Delica 3s. Loved the original Delica, but love the screw construction on the new ones and the clips. I agree that the clip coating doesn't last. A better coating, or none at all might be a solution. I'd also like shallower grooves in the FRN. You'd still have a grippy enough texture, but it would be easier to get gunk out of it.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

elena86 wrote:Stronger back lock , longer blade and silver clip should be enough.

Regarding the longer blade issue, isn't the Endura the "Longer Blade Version" of the Delica, and the Delica is the "Shorter Blade Version" of the Endura, that kind of thing?

Are you saying you would like to see a Delica with a blade length between its present length and that of the Endura, like a "Medium Sized Endura"?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

[quote
The Tatanka come from Japan, I believe. I'm sure they can modify the lock design if they wanted to. Doing so may increase the thickness of the knife though which may be something they want to avoid.[/quote]

This is the main reason I was suggesting the Chaparral lock. It is more updated, without any blade play, and can me obviously made very thin.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
elena86 wrote:Stronger back lock , longer blade and silver clip should be enough.

Regarding the longer blade issue, isn't the Endura the "Longer Blade Version" of the Delica, and the Delica is the "Shorter Blade Version" of the Endura, that kind of thing?

Are you saying you would like to see a Delica with a blade length between its present length and that of the Endura, like a "Medium Sized Endura"?
I'm just saying that I'd like a blade as close as possible to 3 inch .
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I get you on that. I am fine with the length that it is, myself. But, I can understand someone wanted to have a Caly3 length blade in a Delica.

On another note, has anyone thought of Paperstone as a scale material? I am not certain how it would work on the Delica, but it feels good in the hand on knives I have seen that have this material.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Doc Dan wrote:I get you on that. I am fine with the length that it is, myself. But, I can understand someone wanted to have a Caly3 length blade in a Delica.

On another note, has anyone thought of Paperstone as a scale material? I am not certain how it would work on the Delica, but it feels good in the hand on knives I have seen that have this material.
The Lum Tanto sprint was supposed to be in burgundy paperstone. They switched to black/green g10 halfway through due to problems working with the paperstone. I did hold one of the paperstone versions and it is an interesting material. It is a shame they had to give upon it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I know that they're working on a LOT of possible handle materials for the Chaparral and that several of them haven't been viable. That research ought to yield some positive results at some point.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

dplafoll wrote:I know that they're working on a LOT of possible handle materials for the Chaparral and that several of them haven't been viable. That research ought to yield some positive results at some point.
I held 3 of those in Amsterdam 2 years ago and I'll tell you it's a huge shame they didn't work out, several of them were very awesome.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

For my use, I would like a bit more of a hand-filling handle on the Delica. My aging fingers don't always close tightly. Also I would like a thinner sabre grind.