CPM S110V MIlitary Full Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: CPM S110V MIlitary Full Review

Post by Bloke »

Ankerson wrote:Here it is all cleaned back up and ready for EDC use. :)

I'm quite taken by the Millie! When I took my S30V out of the box I thought it was huge and wondered what I was thinking! I've had it about a month or so now and it's kind off shrunk! I take it to work most days in my lunch box, but wouldn't flick it open in the office. Luckily, I spend a bit of time onboard Naval vessels and sailors like knifes. I've even had two sailors I didn't even know ask to see my "big folding knife"!

Anyhow, I'm buying a new S110V Millie as soon as my bank balance recovers from the recent Maxamet Mule onslaught. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Ankerson wrote:Performance was excellent and suffered no edge damage. Fit and finish was good, no blade play noticed in testing.
I have a few questions-

Comparing S110V Military against Maxamet Mule- I haven't measured but it seems that the Taichung Mules are thinner behind the edge than the Golden knives. If this is true then that seems to make the Military performance even more impressive. Do you have any comments on that?

Also comparing S110V Military against Maxamet Mule- I thought when I first read about Maxamet that it had a lot of carbide, but then so does S110V. How does the amount of carbide compare with the cutting performance?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bdblue wrote:
Ankerson wrote:Performance was excellent and suffered no edge damage. Fit and finish was good, no blade play noticed in testing.
I have a few questions-

Comparing S110V Military against Maxamet Mule- I haven't measured but it seems that the Taichung Mules are thinner behind the edge than the Golden knives. If this is true then that seems to make the Military performance even more impressive. Do you have any comments on that?

Also comparing S110V Military against Maxamet Mule- I thought when I first read about Maxamet that it had a lot of carbide, but then so does S110V. How does the amount of carbide compare with the cutting performance?
MAXAMET does, but it's hard to overcome the amount of Vanadium that's in S110V.

MAXAMET did well on rope due to the 67-68 HRC hardness and it stayed aggressive and that really helped it a lot on the rope cutting. It did better than any other production blade that I have tested to date on rope.

S110V did better as far as holding a sharp edge, it held phone book paper sharpness across the board compared to MAXAMET losing that level of sharpness. That's the reason why S110V did better for the rest of the testing and the reason for the large difference on cardboard.

Both were in the same thickness behind the edge range, .018" for MAXAMET and .020" for the Military
BTG

Post by BTG »

Mine looks a little lighter, anyone get hat impression?
image.jpeg
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Looks brand new again, did the blade get scratched at all during your test?
If so, what do you use to remove them?

Thanks for your tests
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:
Looks brand new again, did the blade get scratched at all during your test?
If so, what do you use to remove them?

Thanks for your tests

Nope, not a mark on it from testing.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

hey Jim - I posted this on your BF review, but this forum is probably a better place for it. Sorry for the duplication.
You did not need to sell me on a Mili - it is already my favorite carry for chores (too big for office, but edc for everything else) despite many years of ignoring it and using PM2. I discovered that the extra blade length really comes in handy for lots of things, so Mili has replaced PM2 most of the time (although I still like the compression lock). I used to think the Mili handle was too long for my size small hands (and the PM2 was a perfect fit), but even that has evolved - I find the Mili gives more options for hand placement and the extra length does not interfere with anything.
But my question to you now - you obviously love the 110V and I never expected that much of a cutting performance bump compared to my usual carry S90V or even Cruwear or M390 (those are the ones I carry the most). But you also seemed to really like the 10V in your Darrin Sanders custom FB (I have one he made in 4V and love it, btw).
So my question is, if you could have a mili in any steel, what would be your preference? The 110V is obviously available and you already said it was your new love , but what about 10V? 4V? Just curious if there are still versions you would like to see.
thanks
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I have always liked S110V, it was just so hard to get in the past.

Both 10V and 4V are excellent steels.

Any steel?

Would be one of the following: S125V, S110V, or 10V for me personally.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Thanks. I am going to pick up the 110V for sure. I'll get over the scale color ;)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Looking forward to hearing feedback on the Military.
MattBPKT

Post by MattBPKT »

Here's the full written review by Jim in case you were interested.

Spyderco Military S110V Review

1.1 miles of cardboard and still going strong :eek:
Knife Informer...stay sharp, stay informed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just to clarify, did any of these NOT come with the CQI changes? Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread for.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

BTG wrote:Mine looks a little lighter, anyone get hat impression?image.jpeg
I remember reading a while back that the blue came out a little darker than they expected when the S110 line was released. I too noticed the blue is a little brighter on a recent manix I received. They must be on their second run of G10 and decided to tweak the color.

I like the darker color but really like how this latest run turned out.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My PM2 is much darker than any other of the G10 S110V knives I have seen. I have also seen some that were pretty bright. So, I know there is a variation. I seem to remember someone got a knife that had two different shades of this blue, one on each side (that was an anomaly).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rhodie

Post by Rhodie »

You got me sold... Wait, I already own a Native 5 in s110v.
FK

Post by FK »

Factory knives have black clip,,, if used, it could have been changed out.

I prefer the stainless finish and may order a replacement clip from Spyderco.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I believe this model started coming with a silver clip around Dec 2017 or so.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Greetings Ankerson>> Great thread by the way. I currently have and use a C-36 Military in M390 and also have and use a Para2 with S110V>> I find both steels rather comparable in performance myself with the exception of S110V taking a super fine, straight razor type edge possibly a bit better than M390 but yet I find both of them to be great blade steels for EDC uses. I'm wondering if by some strange possibility if you think either steel might be good for Spyderedged units. The reason I ask that is because there has been a constant ongoing barrage of requests for the Spyderedged Military to return. I would love that but would want them to use a steel that is good for SE>> like XHP has proven to be.

I'm also wondering if you think either M390 or S110V steel could do well in SE? My gut feeling is that both of those steels are really meant for plain edges from what I can tell but maybe you know something that I'm overlooking?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 am
Greetings Ankerson>> Great thread by the way. I currently have and use a C-36 Military in M390 and also have and use a Para2 with S110V>> I find both steels rather comparable in performance myself with the exception of S110V taking a super fine, straight razor type edge possibly a bit better than M390 but yet I find both of them to be great blade steels for EDC uses. I'm wondering if by some strange possibility if you think either steel might be good for Spyderedged units. The reason I ask that is because there has been a constant ongoing barrage of requests for the Spyderedged Military to return. I would love that but would want them to use a steel that is good for SE>> like XHP has proven to be.

I'm also wondering if you think either M390 or S110V steel could do well in SE? My gut feeling is that both of those steels are really meant for plain edges from what I can tell but maybe you know something that I'm overlooking?
I don't really like serrated edges so I normally avoid them, they have their uses however.

That said there is nothing wrong with S30V or H1 that Spyderco normally uses.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hey Ankerson, in all your hard testing of the Military did it ever develop any vertical blade play?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"