Worst Spyderco Designs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fanch_Man

Worst Spyderco Designs?

Post by Fanch_Man »

Hopefully this one will be fun, interesting, and informative all at once. There was a similar thread on another forum, but that was several years back, so I thought it might be nice to refresh the idea to include all the new Spydie designs since then, as well as knife knuts new to the game (like me!).

Let me start out by saying that I'm pretty sure everybody here (myself included) LOVES Spyderco, and this thread isn't about bashing. If you came here for that purpose, please respectfully move along. Sal and crew, THANK YOU for the hard work, the innovation, and the tireless pursuit of knife excellence. :spyder:

That said, we've all got our own tastes, and some designs just don't work - either aesthetically or functionally - for all of us. Which ones fall into that category for you? I expect there will be lots of answers based on looks alone, and that's certainly valid, but I'm especially interested in responses concerning functional issues. The Spydie gang is always looking to improve, so maybe this will help provide some valuable feedback.

Let the games begin!

Fanch
The Deacon

Re: Worst Spyderco Designs?

Post by The Deacon »

Probably the worst, at least in terms of popularity, was the Turnbull T-Mag. Spyderco took a real bath on that one. Great looking little knife, would almost certainly have been a success as a UKPK style SlipIt, and an even bigger one with a midlock or Walker style liner lock, but the very weak magnetic "latch" was a deal breaker for most.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I have really never looked at a Spyderco knife and thought it was a bad design. In fact, I've been impressed by the fact that even the knives that don't appeal to my needs or aesthetic taste are remarkably good designs that are highly functional and ergonomic. I also understand that from a design perspective every knife is that designer's piece of art and just because it may not appeal to my aesthetic preferences doesn't mean I'm ready to say it's a bad design. So far, out of the 60+ Spydercos I've purchased I haven't received one with anything I would call a functional problem yet. Thank you Spyderco! :D :spyder:

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Wilkins Leaf Storm collaboration? I ask because I don't have one (did have my eye on one for a while).

The heel of its cutting edge looks like a disaster waiting to happen (and seems to have happened; see https://youtu.be/LYHn2kXS13g).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I can only list the ones i personally find ..less than aesthetically pleasing.. My personal "Hall of shame list"
1. Gunting
2. Yojimbo 1
3. Battlestation
4. Tighe Stick
5. Szabo folder
Jot Singh Khalsa is a real eyesore too, but does feel surprisingly good in hand.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Are we talking eyesores or real sores? I took the OP to mean the latter...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

This is just me, but I seriously can't stand the way FRN grips look. The knives are great, but these handles remind me of flea market knives.

I love Spyderco designs though.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I would never and could never say Spyderco has a "worse" or "worst" design, though yes, some do not appeal to me personally, and others do. I'll admit it, the Pingo is very unappealing to me but I can see its usefulness and good properties. I saw a picture of a production prototype of the Spyderco Assist that was BETTER looking as far as overall lines and shape go, than the present production manufactured model of the Assist. The prototype model looks more angular in some ways and a little leaner in some of the handle material and it just to me seems better than the present Assist as far as looks go.

But the Assist is a great knife.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The "T mag" IMO. It was very well made and used high quality materials but the design just didn't go over. Not traditional enough for use by that crowd and not quite accepted in to the modern high performance knife with locks category. It sure cut well though. It just doesn't feel safe enough for me even though I could easily adapt to it if needed. It was easier to move to another knife than adapt to the needs of this design. I still have mine sitting back in it's box and probably always will.

Joe
paladin

Post by paladin »

Rock Lobster...

Maybe I got weird sized hands, but I couldn't find a comfortable <useful> grip on the handles.

I'm thankful I bought mine BNIB from Howe's and only took minor hit on the resell. It'd suck to pay the unfathomable sums it goes for now only to find out I hate it. :(

And another vote for the Leafstorm....like the Lobster, it's another 'tweener for my mitts and fingers.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

There are issues with the question, such as the fact that handle ergos and aesthetics are all highly subjective. I can list the ones I think aren't great, but it's hard to find Spyderco designs that are objectively bad.
Honestly I'd love to hear Sal's input on this thread; not to disparage his own products, but maybe to give us some idea of which models didn't sell well, which is usually a good indicator.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Deacon wrote:Probably the worst, at least in terms of popularity, was the Turnbull T-Mag. Spyderco took a real bath on that one. Great looking little knife, would almost certainly have been a success as a UKPK style SlipIt, and an even bigger one with a midlock or Walker style liner lock, but the very weak magnetic "latch" was a deal breaker for most.
I immediately pictured this knife when I read the title. I keep it in my collection as an 'oddball'. I did carry it a few times and it worked kind of OK. Still, I made sure to keep that magnet away from my bank cards. I remember reports of people screwing up magnetic strips on bank cards and hotel keycards.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

paladin wrote:Rock Lobster...

Maybe I got weird sized hands, but I couldn't find a comfortable <useful> grip on the handles.

I'm thankful I bought mine BNIB from Howe's and only took minor hit on the resell. It'd suck to pay the unfathomable sums it goes for now only to find out I hate it. :(

And another vote for the Leafstorm....like the Lobster, it's another 'tweener for my mitts and fingers.
Easy enough to remedy. If I had a backup I'd probably carry this one quite a lot. The overall shape and resulting ergos are pretty amazing for EDC.

I think the only way to decide on a universally agreed on worst design would be to know what the worst selling knife has been, which I don't think is something Spyderco will let us in on. The T-Mag may be on that list, but I always thought it was a brave attempt at outside the box thinking. If that design had worked as planned we might all be singing the praises of the mag lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Ed Schempp Balance
1.jpg
Jot Singh Khalsa
2.jpg[/attachment Jason Breeden Rescue ][attachment=0]3.jpg
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Not sure why the caption for the last image isn't showing up. Last one is a Spyderco Rescue by Jason Breeden.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

In defense of the Breeden Rescue, I had one for a while, and I am now quite disappointed that I sold it. The ergos might look bad on a picture, but it had an excellent, full, comfortable grip. The action and lockup were perfect. It was a really good knife, with maybe an odd look. What got me was that I missed a sharp point, and I sold it in a moment of weakness to buy a Military... :o

I might be stepping on some toes, but a knife that did not impress me at all was the Native 2. I handled one in a store. The choil was too small for my index finger, and I have normal sized hands (L, XL). I did not "get" the heavily swedged grind, and that specific knife had up/down and sideways blade play. I put it down and bought a Benchmade! :o My first and last...
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Totally agree with you Hans, the Breeden Rescue fits my hand like a glove, probably one of my most comfy pieces, and blade is about as stout as they come.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

In terms of looks alone, I wouldn't say there are any Spyderco designs that I'd classify as the "worst" per se. Granted, there have been a few models that haven't piqued my interest over the years, but like Evil mentioned, I give props to the Spyderco design team for at least thinking outside of the box and trying different designs. Personally, I have always been smitten with the "wild" and unique designs like the Poliwog, Dodo, Gunting, Jot Singh Khalsa, Lava, Leafstorm, Phoenix, Rock Lobster, Zulu, etc., etc.

Bring on the weird designs, for I shall buy them! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Probably the worst, at least in terms of popularity, was the Turnbull T-Mag. Spyderco took a real bath on that one. Great looking little knife, would almost certainly have been a success as a UKPK style SlipIt, and an even bigger one with a midlock or Walker style liner lock, but the very weak magnetic "latch" was a deal breaker for most.
+1
This knife was the biggest disappointment for me. I really love the look. F&F was outstanding. At least on the same level with old Moki or Taichang, but blow of a wind would drop blade down. :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I tend to have to remind myself (regularly- and double when the Amsterdam Meet has been and gone ;)) that Sal, Eric and Co design knives for a whole range of purposes and user requests......Not all of those start points are aimed at my tastes- and they might even run counter to them....Not everyone digs pineapple on pizza, after all :)

My perspective is there are those Spyderco models that I simply couldn't fall in love with, regardless of the relative love they may engender in other quarters:

For me the Double Bevel was one that failed to light my fire when I finally got it- I bought it as a companion to the Lum Tanto and it's a much, much lighter knife than that. I'm sure there are folks that love it's funky faceted blade and super- lightweight build, but for me it was a no-no....I'm lukewarm at best to the American Tanto Folder concept anyways.

The other one I couldn't 'get straight' in my hand was the Ulize- I love the Police range and feel they are the quintessential Spyderco explanation-of-concept knife for the uninitiated. I own a single liner G10 Police and figured the Ulize would make a great companion piece.
But the way the front section of the handle cramped up my fingers together I couldn't get to work and sold it on.
Such a big knife shouldn't feel like my hand was all jumbled up- especially when the Police itself is so ergonomic!

Having handled the Introvert, I'd say it's not for me- I can see the utility of the concept, but there's too much going on with that big ol' finger'ole for my uneducated mitts to understand the two times I've handled it....Plus it's taking up a LOT of pocket space for not much blade.

Aside from that- Honorable mentions go to the Gunting and Jhot Singh Khalsa- which I'm sure are great knives, but the lines are a puzzle to me. (I would happily add either to the collection though....because: Reasons. :D)
Last edited by demoncase on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/