Clear handle scale discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Clear handle scale discussion

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wanted to start a thread discussing the idea of a Spydie with clear or at least colorless translucent handle scales. The original prototype of the ManixLW was clear FRCP and it seemed as though at least here on the forum there was some serious interest in seeing that version come to production. One version of the ManixLW ended up staying translucent but was given a blue tint. Here is a linked picture from Mr. Blonde's page.

I was searching for clear handles knives and came up with very little. I did find one post on BF that showed a Buck with clear scales. They look to be a really clear material. Polycarbonate maybe? I don't know anything about polymers which is part of the reason for this thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... Yea-or-nea

This thread blew my mind. Clear Spydie scales! A clear Para2 sounds awesome!

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=62216

So I wanted to know if this is something that anybody here would be interested in.

Is this something that is limited by the materials? Is polycarbonate durable enough for handle scales? Will it scratch easy? Will it look dirty and ugly when it is filled with dirt, oil and pocket fuzz? Is there an ideal material for doing something like this? Have I lost my mind? I welcome all your thoughts and knowledge about this. Thanks. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bugs

Re: Clear handle scale discussion

Post by Bugs »

Well it would provide a clear look at the working mechanisms of the knife. Would make for a great tutorial version & conversation piece. From a practical standpoint though it might look kinda funky once crud starts to collect under the handle.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The problem I see is that for an actual carry knife the task of keeping it clean would be almost impossible... if you owned an ultrasonic cleaner and a compressor you could do it, but aside from that I can't think of any method that would work, short of periodic complete disassembly and hand scrubbing. Plus all of the resilient *and* transparent materials I know of, would probably get scuffed up over time, both from the outside and the inside (grit between a liner and a scale would frost a clear scale pretty quick).

Now if cost was not a factor, you could do synthetic sapphire! It can still shatter, but you'd have to really work at it.

Personally, I like the translucent gray and blue that went in to production better than the clear "demonstrator" model.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not me, I'm not even fond of the blue ones. IMHO, transparent and semi-transparent scales make a knife look like a toy.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Deacon wrote:Not me, I'm not even fond of the blue ones. IMHO, transparent and semi-transparent scales make a knife look like a toy.
Agreed.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I agree with Deacon and Tvenuto on this but I must admit I like the jade and blurple g10 on my pm2's a lot.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guess the prototype was more about showing off the mold or something? I seem to recall there being brittleness issues with the clear FRCN...? But yeah I was 100% on board with that knife and I still think it's awesome looking. I don't care much for the colored versions but that clear is just crazy looking.

I'm pretty sure someone did maybe an Endura a few years ago with plexiglass scales that was pretty cool.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

I like it. I like the novelty of it. I would buy it. Only a few of my knives get any real extended pocket time anyway.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I like the idea of a clear handle, but it would depend a lot on the knife it was being used on. FWIW, I think it looks better on smaller knives (e.g. Dragonfly, Ladybug, Manbug, Delica, etc.) than larger knives.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Maybe in a dark color like translucent charcoal, or smoke grey.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Transparent with or without color? No thanks. Translucent? Yes, in soft colors, please.

Transparent gives away the show. Translucent heightens the mystery, at least it does on my "jade" (clever, that) PM2.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Brock O Lee wrote:Maybe in a dark color like translucent charcoal, or smoke grey.
^^^ This :)

I like clear as well.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Clear/translucent isn't everyone's cup of tea. I respect the Deacon's opinion on the subject, and I'm sure that the traditionalists will pass on any clear/translucent or candy-colored scales. Since the mold is already made, though, I would think Spyderco could diversify their offerings with some color. I personally love my translucent blue Manix 2. It does not seem as menacing and I've found it to be very non-knife people friendly and fun to look at.

I put these together a while back for a different thread but I thought I'd drop them here again. If the FRCP can be completely clear, then any color or shade should be possible. I'd be all over a smoke-colored Manix, and I'm sure the other colors would find their niches as well (I wonder how the Roadies in colors are selling....)

These are photos hoped...obviously. No such knives exist, just playing around.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have a folder with a clear/translucent handle (not a Spyderco model) and I got it as a collector's item type of thing. The blade steel is useable ofcourse but personally when it comes to an everyday carry and tool knife I would not want the clear handle. But, I could definitely see a niche place for it, especially when it comes to watching and demonstrating the locking and other internal mechanisms. Very cool idea.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I think the advantage for me is that it provides 'window' to see if the liner has rust developing, so I don't have to disassemble to find out, also to see if water has been fully blown out.

Also if any gunk in the locking mechanism, rounding of the tang, bad/worn interface, especially for backlock.

Of course if it can be made durable.
Thoughts?
Chris :spyder:
swigert

Post by swigert »

I'm in for sure. Also would love a grey/smoke translucent also.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I wanted to start a thread discussing the idea of a Spydie with clear or at least colorless translucent handle scales. The original prototype of the ManixLW was clear FRCP and it seemed as though at least here on the forum there was some serious interest in seeing that version come to production. One version of the ManixLW ended up staying translucent but was given a blue tint. Here is a linked picture from Mr. Blonde's page.

I was searching for clear handles knives and came up with very little. I did find one post on BF that showed a Buck with clear scales. They look to be a really clear material. Polycarbonate maybe? I don't know anything about polymers which is part of the reason for this thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... Yea-or-nea

This thread blew my mind. Clear Spydie scales! A clear Para2 sounds awesome!

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=62216

So I wanted to know if this is something that anybody here would be interested in.

Is this something that is limited by the materials? Is polycarbonate durable enough for handle scales? Will it scratch easy? Will it look dirty and ugly when it is filled with dirt, oil and pocket fuzz? Is there an ideal material for doing something like this? Have I lost my mind? I welcome all your thoughts and knowledge about this. Thanks. :)
I gotta tell ya... when I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought it was another Mikael Andersson troll thread. I apologize for that. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

hudsonhawk wrote:Clear/translucent isn't everyone's cup of tea. I respect the Deacon's opinion on the subject, and I'm sure that the traditionalists will pass on any clear/translucent or candy-colored scales. Since the mold is already made, though, I would think Spyderco could diversify their offerings with some color. I personally love my translucent blue Manix 2. It does not seem as menacing and I've found it to be very non-knife people friendly and fun to look at.

I put these together a while back for a different thread but I thought I'd drop them here again. If the FRCP can be completely clear, then any color or shade should be possible. I'd be all over a smoke-colored Manix, and I'm sure the other colors would find their niches as well (I wonder how the Roadies in colors are selling....)

These are photos hoped...obviously. No such knives exist, just playing around.

That image reminds me of gummy bears for some reason...
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Owning the translucent blue LWT Manix 2, I think the stronger colours are liable to be better sellers- The yellow and the pink look a bit washed out to my (entirely subjective) eye.

That said: I'd like 100% clear scales on any model where there's interesting stuff going on inside for me to look at ;)

The Manix 2 (and any of the BB Locks) are a great example....Comp lockers are a definite second as are liner locks- plus anything with a bearing system would be interesting....Not sure that there would be that much to 'see' going on inside a back lock.
(On this note, the Szabo lightning strike folder has all kinds of worky-gubbins* to look at through clear scales- the controlled closure system)

*Technical engineering term for internal componentry ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

demoncase wrote:Owning the translucent blue LWT Manix 2, I think the stronger colours are liable to be better sellers- The yellow and the pink look a bit washed out to my (entirely subjective) eye.
They're washed because of my poor editing skills. I make the rainbow colors strong because I liked them that way. I'm not a fan of pink personally so I didn't spend a lot of time on that one to sharpen it up. :o
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.