Yojimbo Idea

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Yojimbo Idea

Post by Donut »

So, now that the Golden expansion is built...

Where is our small (800-1,000 piece) run of full flat ground Yojimbo 2's? :)

A FFG sprint wouldn't take any extra equipment, right?

You know, for those people who like Yojimbo 2's and won't complain about the tip being too weak. :o
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cogito

Re: Yojimbo Idea

Post by Cogito »

Consigned.

Would purchase.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The knife was designed with the grind it comes with for a reason that Mr Janich expands on in one of his YouTube interviews. Spyderco should probably develop an entirely different blade shape with the same handle in order to use an FFG blade.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Cujobob wrote:The knife was designed with the grind it comes with for a reason that Mr Janich expands on in one of his YouTube interviews. Spyderco should probably develop an entirely different blade shape with the same handle in order to use an FFG blade.
Yeah, I thought it was because people complained that they thought the Yojimbo 1 had a weak tip because of the FFG.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I still don't believe the tip has to be weak with FFG. All they have to do is grind it like the Rock Lobster, with no distal taper. The slope of the wharnie tip will still be there but the tip will only be as thin as the rest of the blade is behind the edge. It baffles me why more wharnies aren't done this way. The original Yojimbo could have been ground this way and it wouldn't have had a thin little fragile tip, and the tip doesn't have to be thin to still be effective in self defense.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I'm terrified of sharpening my Yo2 because of the tip. Maybe I'm worrying too much. I love this knife though. It's in my pocket right now.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Tip on the S90V won't break unless you throw it!

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cogito wrote:I'm terrified of sharpening my Yo2 because of the tip. Maybe I'm worrying too much. I love this knife though. It's in my pocket right now.
What are you using to sharpen on? I haven't had any issues with the tip. If anything you should probably avoid the corners on a Sharpmaker.
DrtyHarry wrote:Tip on the S90V won't break unless you throw it!

Harry

Or drop it on tile, or concrete, or just about anything other than dirt. Most tips that I've broken were from drops. The tip was broken off my S90V Yojimbo 2 somehow and I don't even know how it happened.
~David
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Really? ****.... S90V is like a diamond.

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

EvD,
I have a SM, but I'm still new at this. I will take your advice and avoid the corners.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'd be more interested in a ffg version than the current blade.

When I first saw the title my thoughts automatically went to increasing the blade length 2mm lol
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DrtyHarry wrote:Really? ****.... S90V is like a diamond.

Harry
To quote the barbarian from Diablo 3

"Those who make themselves hard, make themselves brittle"

Yes it's really hard, but that also means it's more likely to break/chip rather than bend when pushed beyond its limits. I haven't experienced any serious chipping in use but if dropped on something like concrete or ceramic tile you're almost guaranteed a chipped tip.
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

DrtyHarry wrote:Really? ****.... S90V is like a diamond.

Harry
If that was the case you wouldn't be able to sharpen it. Also impact toughness relies on different mechanisms than abrasive wear. This is why you can wear the head of a sledge hammer down to a nub by rubbing it against concrete repeatedly, but smash the concrete to bits in a single strike of the hammer.

Also, the very tip of my S90V Yojimbo did actually fracture off, and I've never dropped it. It's very small, but the edge at the very tip is gone. Like D, I'm not sure when or how it happened, and I don't cut anything more challenging than cardboard.

I'm also of the mind that a FFG version could be built, although I do have to wonder if this blade stock would work.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

You can have your special run but I love the YO2 just the way it is!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Cogito wrote:I'm terrified of sharpening my Yo2 because of the tip. Maybe I'm worrying too much. I love this knife though. It's in my pocket right now.
You won't break the tip sharpening. The more realistic danger is you could round it a bit if you are not careful. Be aware of not dragging the tip off of the rods and you should not have an issue. Also, If you do round the tip just a bit it is very easy to fix on the yojimbo. Just sand the flat spine a bit on a flat surface until the you've got your tip back.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Thank you Surfing Gringo
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am with D. If they don't give it a distal taper then the tip should be just fine with a ffg. I love my Yo the way it is and think the HG actually looks sexy but I would also be interested in one with a ffg.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

When sharpening the Yo2, do you guys recommend using the 40 degrees or 30 degrees on the sharpmaker?
10just

Post by 10just »

FFG or not, i just want new configurations of the Yo2 in general! love this knife so much. new colors/materials/steels/grinds, sign me up..
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Cogito wrote:When sharpening the Yo2, do you guys recommend using the 40 degrees or 30 degrees on the sharpmaker?
I use the 30 degree setting. I like to keep my Yo2 as sharp as possible.

I'd be interested in a FFG Yo2, but I'm not dying to have one. A saber ground Yo2 would work nicely too. It would end up thicker behind the edge, and possibly make the tip slightly more robust.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe