MT-24 MAXAMET Review and Testing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gsg9

Re: MT-24 MAXAMET Review and Testing

Post by Gsg9 »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tests

I've seen your S110V Millie testing some time ago and bought a Millie and a PM2 in S110V

I've also got the K390 Urban and will get Police4 and PM2/Millie in K390(if the show up)

Now Maxamet shows up and seems to be very strong performer, will keep with the flow and get the PM2 and Millie when they show up

Problem is that we are already at the top and after this there might be not much coming, S125V is unlikely, I’ll probably get a well-deserved break :D , probably not much of a problem after all, this obsession with performance may not be quite OK

PS: speaking of performance, went to your YouTube channel, I've seen Tomb Raider DX12 benchmarks and thought I clicked somewhere else :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Gsg9 wrote:Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tests

I've seen your S110V Millie testing some time ago and bought a Millie and a PM2 in S110V

I've also got the K390 Urban and will get Police4 and PM2/Millie in K390(if the show up)

Now Maxamet shows up and seems to be very strong performer, will keep with the flow and get the PM2 and Millie when they show up

Problem is that we are already at the top and after this there might be not much coming, S125V is unlikely, I’ll probably get a well-deserved break :D , probably not much of a problem after all, this obsession with performance may not be quite OK

PS: speaking of performance, went to your YouTube channel, I've seen Tomb Raider DX12 benchmarks and thought I clicked somewhere else :D

I am a computer guy also. :D

Currently working on a new build getting things together to replace my current i7 870 machine. Still fast, 1st generation I7, but need to update to the newer technology as the motherboard is over 7 years old now. Likely on borrowed time I am thinking with the Old P55 motherboard, nothing lasts forever. :D

Building a completely new machine, case and all as my case is very outdated (12 YO) so it needs to be replaced also, did 3 builds in this case.

Only thing I am going to transfer to the new machine is the Graphics card as it's still new, XFX Radeon RX RS 480 8GB. Will put in one of the older graphics cards that I still have around in the current machine as use it as a back up machine.

Going with a new Generation Z270 motherboard and 7th Generation I7 7700K, M.2 SSD etc for the new build.

Should last me for a long time the way I do my builds, pick my parts etc. :cool:
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Ankerson wrote:

Thanks for the tests

Currently working on a new build getting things together to replace my current i7 870 machine. Still fast, 1st generation I7, but need to update to the newer technology as the motherboard is over 7 years old now. Likely on borrowed time I am thinking with the Old P55 motherboard, nothing lasts forever. :D

Building a completely new machine, case and all as my case is very outdated (12 YO) so it needs to be replaced also, did 3 builds in this case.

Only thing I am going to transfer to the new machine is the Graphics card as it's still new, XFX Radeon RX RS 480 8GB. Will put in one of the older graphics cards that I still have around in the current machine as use it as a back up machine.

Going with a new Generation Z270 motherboard and 7th Generation I7 7700K, M.2 SSD etc for the new build.

Should last me for a long time the way I do my builds, pick my parts etc. :cool:
I am a software developer and I used to do my own builds as well, so I'm sick and tired of PCs :D

3d mark, vsync off, 3dfx, Glide, hardware T&L, driver updates, crashes to desktop

at some point I said enough is enough with upgrading and I switched to laptop and console

hopefully that time will come with knives as well :D

out of that build you plan the SSD might not last you as long, seen a few dead and they don't give any warning so backup often

enjoy your new build and all the best
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Gsg9 wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Thanks for the tests

I am a software developer and I used to do my own builds as well, so I'm sick and tired of PCs :D

3d mark, vsync off, 3dfx, Glide, hardware T&L, driver updates, crashes to desktop

at some point I said enough is enough with upgrading and I switched to laptop and console

hopefully that time will come with knives as well :D

out of that build you plan the SSD might not last you as long, seen a few dead and they don't give any warning so backup often

enjoy your new build and all the best
I know what you mean about the sick of PC's thing, I don't work in that field anymore, but I do enjoy playing games on the PC and the power they have these days. :cool:

Yeah, I am going to back it up with a Seagate Constellation ES Enterprise SATA HD just in case, will image the SSD after I have everything setup the way I want. All of the important stuff will be on the Seagate drive. :D

So if the SSD goes down it won't matter that much, will be maybe 30 seconds and I will be back up and running.

I am running an older Seagate Constellation HD now that has about 59,000 hours of up time currently and still going strong. Between that and the redundancy I have on my network I don't worry too much.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Who knew computer guys were so into knives? ;)

It's not a Mule, but I did just sharpen my Native for the first time today. I really like how this steel sharpens, not at all as difficult as I thought it would be with a high carbide steel.
ZmaxSharp.jpg
ZmaxSharp2.jpg
That is an Epic pile of cardbord BTW Ankerson :D
Excellent test.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm running a Raspberry Pi taped onto the back of a Motorola Lapdock with Gorilla tape, Ha Ha, great keyboard and screen :) but I just got a great deal and ordered a new Manix Maxamet LtWt, $38 bucks off MAP, on eBay, to go with my Native 5 Maxamet. Haven't used the Native much yet, but seems to maintain its shaving sharp state with quick touchups so far.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:22 pm

It's not a Mule, but I did just sharpen my Native for the first time today. I really like how this steel sharpens, not at all as difficult as I thought it would be with a high carbide steel.

ZmaxSharp.jpgZmaxSharp2.jpg

Excellent test.
What stones did you use?

Darth
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

BTW Jim,

Do you ever use a microbevel in real-life use or testing?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:30 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Excellent test.
What stones did you use?

Darth

Congress Mold Master 320 and 400 Grit.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:51 pm
BTW Jim,

Do you ever use a microbevel in real-life use or testing?
Never in testing.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:30 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Excellent test.
What stones did you use?

Darth
Mine was done on a KME sharp using their Diamond 'jewel stick'. It's a rounded diamond hone with coarse medium and fine grit. After I stropped the blade with diamond paste on leather.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Agreed!

Ankerson, at what point do you stop cutting cardboard in your tests? With the rope you go till it takes 20lbs of pressure. Do you have a similar method for the cardboard?
Thanks
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:29 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Agreed!

Ankerson, at what point do you stop cutting cardboard in your tests? With the rope you go till it takes 20lbs of pressure. Do you have a similar method for the cardboard?
Thanks
Normally when it stops cutting phone book paper... Or I run out of cardboard.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:32 am
The Meat man wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Agreed!

Thanks
So I wonder how many more feet S110V or Maxamet could cut before getting to that stage...
- Connor

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:29 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:32 am
The Meat man wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Agreed!

Thanks
So I wonder how many more feet S110V or Maxamet could cut before getting to that stage...
MAXAMET had stopped cutting phone book paper, S110V would have gone on for awhile yet, I stopped at 6,000 FT.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification.
- Connor