How to improve the Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 4:59 am

How to improve the Manix 2

Postby Mikael Andersson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.

Make all of the parts of the axis lock out of metal.

Remove the spyderhole... the axis lock makes it redundant.

And finally... increase the blade length to 3.46'' but don't change the handle.

Would this qualify it to be called the Manix 3?
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
demoncase
Member
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:07 am
Location: England- Wolverhampton
Contact:

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby demoncase » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Mikael Andersson wrote:Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.
go on- I'll bite.

In what way is the axis lock better than the existing Manix lock?
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/

User avatar
3rdGenRigger
Member
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby 3rdGenRigger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:56 pm

I like the CBBL more than the Axis Lock, so I wouldn't see that as an improvement. I also don't think most people would find any functional difference in a blade increase of 1.88 mm (86 to 87.88). Seems like it would be a colossal waste of time and effort to retool a factory for such purpose. On another note...which model are you going to suggest adding ~2 mm to the blade of next? You seem to be on a roll.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden

Mikael Andersson
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 4:59 am

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby Mikael Andersson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:02 pm

demoncase wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.
go on- I'll bite.

In what way is the axis lock better than the existing Manix lock?
With the axis lock you can put your thumb and index finger on the buttons of the axis lock and flick the knife open using your wrist much faster than you can open it with the spyderhole and the same thing goes for closing the knife.

User avatar
3rdGenRigger
Member
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby 3rdGenRigger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:04 pm

Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.
go on- I'll bite.

In what way is the axis lock better than the existing Manix lock?
With the axis lock you can put your thumb and index finger on the buttons of the axis lock and flick the knife open using your wrist much faster than you can open it with the spyderhole and the same thing goes for closing the knife.
I can do that with both of my Manix knives, and the lock is less likely to accidentally disengage because of the stronger spring making it safer.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden

Mikael Andersson
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 4:59 am

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby Mikael Andersson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:05 pm

3rdGenRigger wrote:I like the CBBL more than the Axis Lock, so I wouldn't see that as an improvement. I also don't think most people would find any functional difference in a blade increase of 1.88 mm (86 to 87.88). Seems like it would be a colossal waste of time and effort to retool a factory for such purpose. On another note...which model are you going to suggest adding ~2 mm to the blade of next? You seem to be on a roll.
Current Manix 2 blade length 3.37''

My proposed new blade length 3.46''

Difference = 0.09'' or 2.3mm

User avatar
demoncase
Member
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:07 am
Location: England- Wolverhampton
Contact:

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby demoncase » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:08 pm

3rdGenRigger wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.
go on- I'll bite.

In what way is the axis lock better than the existing Manix lock?
With the axis lock you can put your thumb and index finger on the buttons of the axis lock and flick the knife open using your wrist much faster than you can open it with the spyderhole and the same thing goes for closing the knife.
I can do that with both of my Manix knives, and the lock is less likely to accidentally disengage because of the stronger spring making it safer.
Agreed- that's something that you can do with the Manix too (indeed, I can with all 4 of mine....)....and they drop closed when you draw back the lock too, free and easy.

So, they operate the same in that regard.....The same. No better.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/

Mikael Andersson
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 4:59 am

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby Mikael Andersson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:08 pm

3rdGenRigger wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.
go on- I'll bite.

In what way is the axis lock better than the existing Manix lock?
With the axis lock you can put your thumb and index finger on the buttons of the axis lock and flick the knife open using your wrist much faster than you can open it with the spyderhole and the same thing goes for closing the knife.
I can do that with both of my Manix knives, and the lock is less likely to accidentally disengage because of the stronger spring making it safer.
Actually the axis lock has the stronger spring.

Mikael Andersson
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 4:59 am

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby Mikael Andersson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Whitetail addict wrote:I dont think the manix 2 can be improved, its near perfection.
What difference is 2.3 mm going to make?
It's an improvement however small.

User avatar
spydieh0le
Member
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:50 am

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby spydieh0le » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Don't change a single thing! There is a reason there isn't a manix 3, because the 2 is perfect.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run

User avatar
3rdGenRigger
Member
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby 3rdGenRigger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:11 pm

demoncase wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.
go on- I'll bite.

In what way is the axis lock better than the existing Manix lock?
With the axis lock you can put your thumb and index finger on the buttons of the axis lock and flick the knife open using your wrist much faster than you can open it with the spyderhole and the same thing goes for closing the knife.
I can do that with both of my Manix knives, and the lock is less likely to accidentally disengage because of the stronger spring making it safer.
Agreed- that's something that you can do with the Manix too (indeed, I can with all 4 of mine....)....and they drop closed when you draw back the lock too, free and easy.

So, they operate the same in that regard.....The same. No better.
Then why go to the effort of changing out a lock that Spyderco designed and is known for, to opting for a knife designed by a competitor? I like the stronger spring on the CBBL because it's less likely to accidentally disengage.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden

User avatar
demoncase
Member
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:07 am
Location: England- Wolverhampton
Contact:

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby demoncase » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Mikael Andersson wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.
go on- I'll bite.

In what way is the axis lock better than the existing Manix lock?
With the axis lock you can put your thumb and index finger on the buttons of the axis lock and flick the knife open using your wrist much faster than you can open it with the spyderhole and the same thing goes for closing the knife.
I can do that with both of my Manix knives, and the lock is less likely to accidentally disengage because of the stronger spring making it safer.
Actually the axis lock has the stronger spring.
Really?- what's the difference in lbs force?....Or is that just based the ol' "calibrated fingertip-feels-a-bit-stronger" approach?
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/

User avatar
3rdGenRigger
Member
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby 3rdGenRigger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:12 pm

spydieh0le wrote:Don't change a single thing! There is a reason there isn't a manix 3, because the 2 is perfect.
I wouldn't say anything is perfect...materials and tolerances can always be improved etc. That said though, that would also result in a price increase...and it's pretty darn good right where it is as an overall package.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden

Mikael Andersson
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 4:59 am

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby Mikael Andersson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:12 pm

spydieh0le wrote:Don't change a single thing! There is a reason there isn't a manix 3, because the 2 is perfect.
I bet that people said the same thing about the original Paramilitary.

User avatar
demoncase
Member
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:07 am
Location: England- Wolverhampton
Contact:

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby demoncase » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:13 pm

3rdGenRigger wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Agreed- that's something that you can do with the Manix too (indeed, I can with all 4 of mine....)....and they drop closed when you draw back the lock too, free and easy.

So, they operate the same in that regard.....The same. No better.
Then why go to the effort of changing out a lock that Spyderco designed and is known for, to opting for a knife designed by a competitor? I like the stronger spring on the CBBL because it's less likely to accidentally disengage.
I'm agreeing with you- it's the OP that's making bold assertions and deserves the rebuttal. :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/

User avatar
3rdGenRigger
Member
Posts: 2404
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby 3rdGenRigger » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:16 pm

demoncase wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
demoncase wrote:
Agreed- that's something that you can do with the Manix too (indeed, I can with all 4 of mine....)....and they drop closed when you draw back the lock too, free and easy.

So, they operate the same in that regard.....The same. No better.
Then why go to the effort of changing out a lock that Spyderco designed and is known for, to opting for a knife designed by a competitor? I like the stronger spring on the CBBL because it's less likely to accidentally disengage.
I'm agreeing with you- it's the OP that's making bold assertions and deserves the rebuttal. :)
I'm also agreeing with your point lol. The question was directed towards the OP...I was just quoting you because your point also proved what I was trying to get at :)
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden

User avatar
demoncase
Member
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:07 am
Location: England- Wolverhampton
Contact:

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby demoncase » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:19 pm

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Whitetail addict wrote:I dont think the manix 2 can be improved, its near perfection.
What difference is 2.3 mm going to make?
It's an improvement however small.
How is it an improvement?....In what way?..... There's more to a folding knife that cramming the maximum amount of cutting edge into the handle, in my book:

Here's one of Spyderco's knives I love, but it's got a blade:handle ratio a mile off the 'accepted' maxima ;)
Image
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/

Bugs
Member
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:03 am

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby Bugs » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:43 pm

Compare the springs in the Manix 2 vs the axis lock. I cannot foresee the Manix spring breaking due to the way it is sprung. The axis lock spring appears to be a weaker design.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.

User avatar
jabba359
Member
Posts: 4864
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth
Contact:

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby jabba359 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Just make the blade multi-colored and add a flipper to it, then it'll be perfect.
-Kyle

:spyder:
Latest arrivals: DLC M4 Shaman, Opus, Q Ball

http://www.spydiewiki.com

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9586
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Postby bearfacedkiller » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 pm

The Omega spring in the Benchmade is weaker and has a higher rate of failure from what I have seen. It has two springs which allows it to still function while you wait for a replacement. I don't see the omega spring as an improvement.

If you want to make the Manix2 better then remove all of the superfluous jimping. Other than that it is fine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bloke, blueblur, CAD, eRoc, Evil D, Google [Bot], jdw, rcwill98, ScarletFire, Tgmr05, The Meat man, Woodpuppy and 22 guests