Exotic Japanese steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Exotic Japanese steels

Post by sal »

Hi all,

It seems that there is interest in more Japanese steels? I've read some recent posts showing this. (Like Killer on the Delica steel thread [blade forums] ) So I would be interested in knowing what steels made in Japan you would like to see / use and in what models?

sal
BTG

Re: Exotic Japanese steels

Post by BTG »

Super Blue is my Favorite...in G10..... Stretch, Endura, Delica,D2 , Manbug , and Ladybug.....sprints or new regular production...especially the Endura and Delicas....already have . Stretch, D2 and Manbug in G10, would love a new set..a dark green G10 would be cool.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Sal, I have a few steels that I suggest every time this topic comes up.

There are several exotic steels from Daido that seem promising. DAP 560 seems like an even more extreme alternative to HAP 40. DAP 580 is closer to Maxamet, and would also be a pretty exotic choice.

http://www.daido.co.jp/en/products/powd ... speed.html

Daido's DEX 40 and 60 seem like interesting Tool Steels as well. DC11 is Daido's D2 equivalent, and I'm curious how D2 would perform in an Endura.

YXR7, SLD, SRS-15, Cowry X/Y, and SKD11 are also Japanese steels I wouldn't mind trying out. Of these, SRS-15 seems the most well balanced. A PM steel with C 1.5%, Cr 13%, Mo 2.75%, W 1.25%, and V 1.5%

Also, I'm sure people are going to continue clamoring for SG2.

My top choice for any of these steels would be the Police, since I'm a huge fan of the platform. However, the FRN line Sprints have been very successful the last 2 times. Sal, I know you are already planning on using a non-Japanese steel for the Police 4, but perhaps one of these might appeal to you. Since I'll likely never get my hands on a VG-10 Chinook 1, perhaps a future Chinook 4 Sprint?
Last edited by Able Dog on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I have no real knowledge about this but I am just posting here to say that I will be watching this thread intently and learning all I can. Thanks.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hi Sal. I love these kind of threads.

OK

YSS HAP5R It's listed as a HSS, a Die steel as well as cold work. It's the powder steel they use in the same way and class as CPM Cruwear/PD#1 though it is slightly higher in carbide formers. It's their toughest PM steel. C .9 CH 4.3 W 2 Mo3 V3

I have not seen knife 1 yet so I can give only speculation about it's abilities.

SRS 15 Stainless HSS

HAP 72 About like Maxmet

There are always others. Don't know how practical any of them are though. Lastly, if you ever run across any F8 ( obsolete "finishing" steel) grab it. If it's clean it should be great at knives with not much more than carbon and tungsten (8%).

The knives I use mostly are Enduras, Millies, and Natives.

Thanks Sal!

Joe
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I would love to see Super Blue or Hap40 (or both!) used in a Paramilitary. I've always loved Super Blue, and Hap40 I've found is also pretty incredible stuff.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I would love more Super Blue and their white steel is supposed to be fantastic. If that's available laminated, that's a winner.

For whatever steel you decide, I would like to see a special G-10 Delica or Dragonfly as the knife choice.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Sal,
I would love to see something like ZDP-189, Super Gold, or YXM in a Lum Tanto or a similar tanto design.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sal, I would LOVE to see a Superblue Jess Horn or Centofante 3, Native in Crowry-Y, or Lum Tanto in ZDP-189. Regardless, I will be interested in seeing what you come up with.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gastonian

Post by gastonian »

I am in for a Superblue Centofante 3 as well!!!

I would love a Superblue UKPK if it can be a American made model
npad69

Post by npad69 »

PM2 in vg10, H1 (SE) or hap40 please
Humint

Post by Humint »

What would be he Japanese equivalent of s30v or s35vn steel?
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Humint wrote:What would be he Japanese equivalent of s30v or s35vn steel?
The closest that I know of is Takefu's SG2. It is nearly identical to S30V, except that SG2 has 2% Vanadium instead of S30V's 4%.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Donut

Post by Donut »

It seems like everyone loves Super Blue. Is there any variation they can make with that? Like... Damascus with a Super Blue core? Laminate with a little less stainy outer steel? Maybe just a linered G-10.

I wouldn't mind seeing more variation on steels. I like Endura, Delica, Dragonfly.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Sal:

Sir, How about White Steel, Hap40, SG2, or Magic on a caly model? Or anything in carbon. I would imagine this request would be a sprint run.
Last edited by linuxology on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Superblue laminated with H1! One can dream...
10just

Post by 10just »

Seems like people love their super blue. Ive never owned a knife with this steel, what is it comparable to?
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Considering that long before I got into pocket knives, I was into Japanese swords, I've always had a soft spot for Japanese bladesmithing. As such, I'm always happy to see their steels in Spyderco's offering.

I see some mention of Cowry X. I have a knife in that steel and I was under the impression it was fairly similar to ZDP? I haven't put it to much use, as it's more of a keepsake, so I can't comment on performance.

As for what I'd like to see more of, count me in for Super Blue. From my manbug to my kitchen knives, it remains my favorite carbon steel by a large margin.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Awesome Sal. I am humbled and grateful at your response to my comment. The HAP40 run seems to have been a successful seller and more importantly a positive test. It seems as though everybody likes the performance of it, myself included. Whatever is chosen I would like to see it in a frn Delica and a frn Stretch myself as those are my preferred models from the Japanese lineup. Hopefully we can get a full run like we had with Super Blue or HAP40. This is assuming that the Calys are still out of the question. I would also be pleased if this thread resulted in the continuation of the blue G10 sprints that were talked about and put on hold. I am no metallurgist nor do I know the cost factors involved or what steels the maker is able to work with so here are just a bunch of random ideas.

These are all steels I have seen in kitchen knives but I haven't used any of them:

SKD11 is basically D2.
The original plan for the blue G10 sprints was SG2 so that would still be cool.
If SG2 is a no go what about SRS-15. They don't seem to be too different.
Cowry-x seems to just be ZDP189 from a different maker but may be worth a look see.
Cowry-Y could also be worth a look.
White #1 should be a good seller with the success of Super Blue.

These are steels from the Hitachi website that look promising:

HAP10 and HAP5R both look good for tougher options.
HAP50 seems to be a step up from HAP40 but maybe not different enough.
HAP72 seems to be the heavy hitter. If the cost is doable then this seems like it should be a very high wear steel. 2-2.3% Carbon, 10% tungsten and 5% Vanadium plus the other goodies.
XVC11 is basically M4 and it seems as though M4 is a great seller and a solid performer. I say bring on the XVC11 Delica. I don't currently see this on their website though? If it is available I would guess that people would swoop them up once they find out how similar it is to M4.
XVC5 looks good if the goal is a really highly wear resistant steel but it does look to have much less carbon and molybdenum than HAP72. Maybe it is more affordable? I don't think it is powdered and HAP72 is.

They also have a steel called SLD Magic which they claim it is very wear resistant, easy to machine and easy to heat treat due to very low dimensional change. It looks like their marketing really wants to hype this new steel up. They say it is better than SKD11 in almost every way, except probably cost. ;)

http://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/produ ... /sld_b.pdf

I would love to hear others feelings on any of these steels as well as any steels that people are curious about that I didn't mention. Threads like these are the best!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

I would really like to see the Caly 3 or 3.5 in Hitachi White Steel. The only other opportunity I've had to try it is on Murray Carter's knives.

Of the FRN knives, the Delica, Stretch, and Centofante 3 are my favorites.