Millie or Para with Wave Opener: Yes Or No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Millie or Para with Wave Opener: Yes Or No?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

For all of those Military and Paramilitary users out there, would you want a version made with an Emerson Wave Opener feature, or not? I am interested in your reasons for both yes and no.

Would it get in the way of overall function and cutting or would it be a good addition as a viable option?
Tdhurl1103

Re: Millie or Para with Wave Opener: Yes Or No?

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

I like the Spyderhole too much to give it up for a Wave.

The Wave is cool and all, but I don't think I'd want to be limited to tip up carry.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tdhurl1103 wrote:I like the Spyderhole too much to give it up for a Wave.

The Wave is cool and all, but I don't think I'd want to be limited to tip up carry.
^ I'm with him! I have no desire for anything with the Wave feature.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I like the wave feature, but no thanks.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll pass. Zip ties are too easy to use when I need a wave action.

On that note, if Spyderco were to come up with some kind of attachable wave hook that attaches to the hole and looks better than a zip tie, I may be interested in that but I don't see that happening.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

No thanks
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:On that note, if Spyderco were to come up with some kind of attachable wave hook that attaches to the hole and looks better than a zip tie, I may be interested in that but I don't see that happening.
I've seen an aftermarket accessory available that (IMO) looks much nicer than a zip tie. Unfortunately, it takes up the entire hole making it virtually useless. I suppose you can use the accessory itself to deploy the blade but it still looks a little wonky to me. Not for me anyway.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The addition of flippers and Emerson openers makes the knife become a gimmick instead of a tool IMO. They solve a problem nobody has and introduce new issues (messing up ergos and pants, becoming illegal to carry in many areas, etc)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a tip down kind of guy...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Millie's tip down anyways, so a wave's not going to help ;)

Provided they still make the unwaved/normal version for luddites like me, then sure- why not? :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

I prefer the simplicity and utility of the Spyder hole.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Really, Emerson wave opener it´s not very nice and it does not bring nothing for me. I like Millies and Para´s, as they are now, with the spyder hole.
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

It's a no from me :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

No, sorry. I would not be interested. Good idea, but not for me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Never understood why some would want their knife opening as they pull it from pocket.
I sure wouldn't want to have to pull my knife out a certain way to keep it from opening every time I reached for it.
Love the hole, hate the wave.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Cujobob wrote:The addition of flippers and Emerson openers makes the knife become a gimmick instead of a tool IMO. They solve a problem nobody has and introduce new issues (messing up ergos and pants, becoming illegal to carry in many areas, etc)
Next to the SpyderHole, a flipper if implemented properly can be a very reliable opening method, and that can be useful to some people in some applications. I don't like assisted openers, but I also know some people like an assisted flipper because the tab is very easy to access and with the assist provides essentially flawless one-hand opening reliability.
Ken44 wrote:Never understood why some would want their knife opening as they pull it from pocket.
I sure wouldn't want to have to pull my knife out a certain way to keep it from opening every time I reached for it.
Love the hole, hate the wave.
It's for self defense mostly. Any folder is by nature slower in deployment for self defense than a fixed blade, but the wave can compensate for almost all of that delay. I have no need for it, but I know people who love having it on their SD knife.

As for the original idea of the post: I don't know if it would be economically viable for Spyderco to make such a thing. I do know that I have a friend that ground a wave into his PM2 and loves it.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

dplafoll wrote:
Cujobob wrote:The addition of flippers and Emerson openers makes the knife become a gimmick instead of a tool IMO. They solve a problem nobody has and introduce new issues (messing up ergos and pants, becoming illegal to carry in many areas, etc)
Next to the SpyderHole, a flipper if implemented properly can be a very reliable opening method, and that can be useful to some people in some applications. I don't like assisted openers, but I also know some people like an assisted flipper because the tab is very easy to access and with the assist provides essentially flawless one-hand opening reliability.

Flipper tabs are in the way both when closed and open. Front flippers are my preferred method if going that route, for that reason. Assisted knives break. Fairly easily, too. My Blur's assist broke in less than a month and without it has no detent so isn't safe to carry.
What problem do these solve, though? Is the Military difficult to open? Do users commonly run into situations where they need to open their knives a fraction of a second faster (if at all)? Most flippers also run on bearings which either can break (ceramic) or deform (metal). Statistically speaking, you are more likely to have a gun stolen from your home than be used to defend your home. Now that's a gun. Imagine how often people find themselves using a knife to defend themselves and going even further, how often the initial moment the knife is withdrawn being critical to that use.

Adding these complexities to a knife adds cost, hurts the ergos, makes them more prone to accidents, and really doesn't improve the performance at just about anything. If someone is worried about SD, get pepper spray. Requires little training and is far less likely to get you killed.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I like the para and millie the way they are. I wouldn't buy a waved model as i think it would ruin the looks of the knife while adding limited functionality. If i need something to deploy quicker than a folder i would use a fixed blade. It's much quicker and never fails to open under high stress or awkward angles.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I prefer the Spyderco Military and Spyderco Para Military just the way they are... so, "No" to an Emerson Wave Opener.

Have no need for the Emerson Wave Opener on either of these knives... the Spyderco Round Hole is simple and effective, and it opens these knives fast enough for me. I'm not a fan of having "clipit" knives with wave features or thumb studs clipped to my pockets... hate it when the blade on these knives inadvertently deploy when not pulled out of the pocket in a certain way. I also love the current looks and lines of the Military and Para Military... they are both works of beauty, and adding a wave feature would detract from that look.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I sold my waved Delica because I found it difficult to draw from my pocket without engaging the wave. My PM2 opens easily enough with the hole so that I don't feel the need for improvement.