Is the slysz bowie worth it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Is the slysz bowie worth it?

Post by SpyderNut »

The ergonomics are quite a bit better on the Bowie over the Sebenza 21, IMHO. In fact, I seldom carry the Sebenza anymore. The Bowie is a well-built and well-engineered knife. I can't find too many things in it that I would like to see changed. I have XL sized hands, but the grip is quite comfortable and roomy. I'd probably prefer it over most other knives in its size range. If possible, I would try to handle one in person before you buy.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Well I love mine. Was driving today and pondering my favorite knife. It was hard to pick just one, but this one was in the list (others were Techno, PM2 in 204P, and perhaps the HAP40 Delica). I don't have a Sebenza to compare to. However, the Slysz Bowie is quite wonderful in hand. The scale 'touch' is excellent and I personally really dig the rounded over spine. Size is perfect for lots of tasks and I prefer the deep carry clip. IMO, it's a great all around knife with fantastic finishing. Highly recommended.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Man, firstly, I'm sorry for you canadians. At another stage in my life I could have been persuaded to take a spur of the moment vacation to hand deliver you one.

The short answer is: yes. This knife is very nearly perfect. Mine in particular has the most amazing frame lock I've ever handled or heard of. It disengages with absolutely no resistance, as though the two surfaces are not even touching, however, the lock-up is rock solid. I have no idea how these two things can physically co-exist, and I'm pretty sure they've been practicing witchcraft in Taichung.

There are only two, maybe three gripes I have with this knife. First, is the location that the pocket clip hits. It hits directly next to the lockbar cutout so that it gets stuck on your pocket when drawing the knife. Given that everything else on this knife was executed so thoughtfully, I'm miffed by the clip thing, but you can fix it easily with an etched wire clip from a different knife. My second gripe is the radius they put on the opening hole. It makes opening the knife marginally harder and I prefer a crisp hole. I'm willing to concede that this is a preference, not a flaw. Third, the blade shape isn't my favorite, but that is most certainly a preference.

I love its austere looks, and how you kind of have to know knives to think its something special. Everyone is all googoo over the Nirvana, and with good reason. However, I've handled both and would put the bowie above the Nirvana all things considered.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I love the knife, but I would look for a good deal on one as they do tend to come up, if you're on the fence.

My only gripe is the blade shape which I can't gripe about since it's a known going into the purchase. The pocket clip doesn't bother me at all. The hole is perfect IMO, it's smooth and not nearly as sharp as on other Spyderco knives, but is large enough where it isn't an issue opening at all (for me).

It is incredibly smooth. Incredibly. The only reason the blade doesn't close on its own weight is because Spyderco uses a lot of lockbar pressure on their framelocks.

In short, the knife is an absolute pleasure to use and fondle. The blade finish is perfect, the fit and finish is terrific, the blade steel works well for EDC, and you'd be hard pressed to find any knife better than it.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

The Slysz Bowie is one of my favorite knives. The gently rounded Ti handle, the silky smooth pivot, the sound of the locking action, the rounded spine and the tumbled/polished blade finish are all the things that make me love this knife. I also like the way it rides in my pocket. It carries deep and the handle is thin enough to be comfortable in the pocket. The only thing I find less than perfect is that I would prefer if this blade had a more gradual curve in the belly. Every time I pick up a Sebenza (thinking that as a knife collector I'm supposed to own one..) I think "My Slysz Bowie feels like a better quality knife to me"..and I put the Sebenza back on the counter and go back to the Spyderco case. :spyder: :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

These are two posts from a while back. Bottom Line, I really like the Slysz Bowie. It is one of my all time favorites. Hope these pics help you decide. I think it is worth the money.

vaisforlovers wrote:Image

The Techno I love for its uniqueness. It should be too short and stout, but surprisingly it really works very well, especially with a fob/lanyard. The Bowie, to me, is a more functional design...more traditionally functional that's for sure. Easier to one hand open/close, easier to grip, with a blade length I'm more used to using. I really like them both. A lot. Both are in my top 10. Probably in my top 5 right now.
vaisforlovers wrote:As promised, here are some thoughts and comparison shots. You all have your own opinions about wire clips, jimping, etc. I’ll try to leave my opinion out, which one I like better and instead attempt to just point out the differences, not judge.

I don’t have a Millie to compare it to, but against a PM2 it compares similarly in size and carry. The Bowie and PM2 have drastically different blade shape, but to me carry similarly in the hand. The Bowie’s handle, just forward of the locking surface and right below the pivot is curved and makes almost a false choil, if thats a term. It carrys very nicely.

The thickness is imperceptibly similar to the PM2. Because of the radiused handle on the Bowie it is thinner than the PM2 at the edges and about the same thickness in the middle. Very difficult to tell with the pic below.

The Southard has an longer, thinner blade, but the cutting edge length is similar. The handle lengths are similar. As you can tell I replaced my Southard’s clip with a deep carry one. The clip on the Bowie almost disappears the Bowie in the pocket. I like it and wouldn't replace it if I could.

]Image

If you like the size of the Stretch, and you want to try a premium knife without a thumb-ramp, then I’d say this is the knife for you. Very similar feel in the hand to me.

]Image

I remember when I thought Natives and Delicas were big. The Native now feels tiny compared to the Bowie. The Bowie has almost an inch more cutting edge than the Native, and closed, the Bowie feels like it takes up less pocket space. My grip on the Slysz Bowie feels far less choked-up than on the Native.

Eric hit an ergonomic home run with the Domino, but in order for me to carry it, the leaf-shaped blade requires reservations for me to make space in my pocket. The Bowie is about the same size, but its more rectangular form feels like it takes up far less pocket space. In the hand it is not as comfortable as the Domino, but pretty close. Ill take the trade-off here, and will be far more likely to carry it than the Domnio for this reason.

Here it is agains the Lion Steel SR1A: Very similar shape, size etc. My SR1 has the most awesome lock-up sound. This Bowie sounds Very similar. I think this is due to the heft/weight in the blade. While other liner and frame locks make a “ker-clink” sound, these two make a very deep “ker-CLUNK” sound. I LIKE it!

I also chose the GB Folder. The are about the same size and feel, though the GB obviously has the thumb ramp.

Against the Sage:

I like the the Stonewashed finish on the Bowie and think will hide wear far better than the bead-blasted finish of the Sage.

Against it’s sibling, the Techno:

The jimping on the backspaced is much sharper and feels like the teeth on a zip-tie.

Closed pics:

Lastly, I think the Chris Reeve Sebenza is feat of engineering and design. I am marveled by the fact I am allowed to take it apart, under warranty, and then when I reassemble it, it is just as smooth as before. My one complaint is that the Small is too small and the Large is slightly too large to be legal (3.5”). This Slysz Bowie is the “just right” size: a hair under 3.5”. It is equally as smooth and I really like the Stonewashed finish as it won’t show the famous Ti snail trails that bead-blasted finishes do. The top of the Bowie blade is rounded and jimped very similarly to the Reeve.

Obviously I’m very pleased with the knife. I hope it is due to the imperial attributes, and not me just subconsciously trying to justify that this expensive purchase was worth it. It was my most expensive Spyderco to date, but worth the premium to me. It may bump my Southard for a while…

Any other specific photo comparions? Angles, perspectives, or different knives?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Never owned one but I think it would look better with a matching ti backspacer and a swedge.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I think so. I prefer everything about it to my Sebenza. After owning one for a while, it is clear to me that it is my favorite knife, and I enjoy carrying it, looking at it, and using it more than pretty much any other.

It's slimmer and lighter in pocket than the specs suggest, and the matte gray deep carry clip just dissappears. The contoured handle fits my hand perfectly, and the blade is a great slicer. I can never decide if it's a large knife or a small knife... it's just right IMO. It's not for everyone, but if you're tempted by it, I doubt you'll regret it.

Quick pics:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Agree with everything everyone has already said. As a fellow Canadian, I paid the same price you are looking at and never have once thought it wasn't worth every penny nor have I ever regretted it.

Go for it man.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
timlara

Post by timlara »

Here's one of my favorite reviews of the Slysz Bowie.

https://youtu.be/H7tDfaJPzNE
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yes :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Holland

Post by Holland »

I dont have a slysz bowie or a sebenza so I wont be very helpful there. But I have had a umnumzan before and I can tell you the low HT alone with make me not purchase another CRK. My umnumzan dulled quicker than Spyderco's vg10 knives. ymmv
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I love everything about this knife, except.. the shape. I just can't get over that huge belly. I hope the Spydiechef is similar enough in terms of construction and feel, as it looks so much more appealing and useful. However, I'm guessing based on the price that the Chef won't have some of the nicer touches the Bowie has (rounded spine, radiused handles, etc.)

Guess I'll just have to pick up both, eventually
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

PaleMoon wrote:I love everything about this knife, except.. the shape. I just can't get over that huge belly. I hope the Spydiechef is similar enough in terms of construction and feel, as it looks so much more appealing and useful. However, I'm guessing based on the price that the Chef won't have some of the nicer touches the Bowie has (rounded spine, radiused handles, etc.)

The only issue with the chef is the blade angle. Due to the kitchen philosophy, the blade has a "positive" angle compared to the handle, which will make it seem odd in EDC tasks since it's pointing away from the work.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I really want to grab a Slysz Bowie at some point. I love Slysz's aesthetic and designs, and it's a fantastic knife. I bought a Nirvana, but that was somewhat because I expect it to not last as long in production and I had the opportunity. But that Bowie is really, really nice. I'd rather have one of those than a Sebenza, partially because I prefer Spydies in general, but also because I prefer hole>thumbstud, I like the Spyderco wire clip better even on a high-end knife, and I actually would rather have CTS-XHP based on my experience with it and from what I've read about S35VN.
Slysz is one of the few custom makers for whom I have a real interest in getting one of their custom products, and I am super glad that Spyderco continues to work with him to get his designs to a wider audience. I love my Techno, I want a Bowie and SpyderChef, and I REALLY wish Spyderco would make a Techno 2 from his updated Mouse 2 design.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

tvenuto wrote:
PaleMoon wrote:I love everything about this knife, except.. the shape. I just can't get over that huge belly. I hope the Spydiechef is similar enough in terms of construction and feel, as it looks so much more appealing and useful. However, I'm guessing based on the price that the Chef won't have some of the nicer touches the Bowie has (rounded spine, radiused handles, etc.)

The only issue with the chef is the blade angle. Due to the kitchen philosophy, the blade has a "positive" angle compared to the handle, which will make it seem odd in EDC tasks since it's pointing away from the work.
Very true. I'm planning on using it as a backup to my main EDC, though. The design will come very handy in my work place.

Like I said, I'm sure I'll own both at some point in time... And hopefully Spyderco will release the Slysz Swayback after that :D
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Definitely worth it. Im honestly not sure if there's a better production knife in the market for that price.