There could be a Paramilitary 2S

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

Re: There could be a Paramilitary 2S

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Bloke wrote:Mikael, I think you're on to something with this one! But mate, seems like you're taking a bit on. Will you be lengthening the blade as with the other thread you started, then shortening it as you described here? Will the new knife you are modelling have a long and short blade (perhaps your new design may also incorporate the original blade) or will you model two separate knives? Do you have any preference towards a particular blade steel?
My idea of this knife the Paramilitary 2S is just born out of dumb knife laws restricting the blade length to 3.00'' but a blade length of 3.50'' would physically fit inside the handle so why not make it that?

And when it comes to blade steel... I really like S110V and it seems to be a good combination of rust resistance, toughness and edge retention.
Mikael Andersson

No one is getting the cell phone reference?

Paramilitary 2S :p
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

FDE

Post by FDE »

BEHOLD!!!
I give you the Paramilitary 2S
Also a Yojimbo 2S at the bottom.
10just

Post by 10just »

awesome
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

FDE wrote:BEHOLD!!!
Would you consider selling one?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mikael Andersson

Cool... now get it out to the impatiently waiting market.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i think you forgot the rainbow-colored blade and the flipper
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Is this the real deal or photoshop?? If it's real, it's amazing how much belly you lose by grinding the blade down shorter!
FDE

Post by FDE »

Bloke wrote:
Would you consider selling one?
Not really interested in selling but it's a very easy thing to do yourself. I use a belt sander to remove the material and quench very frequently in water. If the blade is getting uncomfortable to touch on the portion your grinding quench more frequently. If you are getting any sort of discoloration of the steel (especially watch towards the tip) you are getting it too hot. A light touch and a coarse belt will help to not build as much heat. Let me know if you have any other questions.
FDE

Post by FDE »

ejames13 wrote:

Is this the real deal or photoshop?? If it's real, it's amazing how much belly you lose by grinding the blade down shorter!
No Photoshop skills here, they are real.
When I was getting ready to shorten the first one I did, I considered grinding the edge up to the spine and thinning the primary grind back to match the factory portion. In the end I opted for the much less labor intensive method of dropping the spine. After using these shortened PM2s for the last couple years I have come to realize my preference for an edc blade is little to no belly (Wharncliffe). I'm hoping we will someday be blessed with a Wharncliffe PM2 or better yet PM3! In the meantime these modded PM2s are close to perfection for me.
Mikael Andersson

FDE wrote:
ejames13 wrote:

When I was getting ready to shorten the first one I did, I considered grinding the edge up to the spine and thinning the primary grind back to match the factory portion. In the end I opted for the much less labor intensive method of dropping the spine. After using these shortened PM2s for the last couple years I have come to realize my preference for an edc blade is little to no belly (Wharncliffe). I'm hoping we will someday be blessed with a Wharncliffe PM2 or better yet PM3! In the meantime these modded PM2s are close to perfection for me.
I't would have been easier to do it like I mentioned in my first post. ;)
Studey

Post by Studey »

Mikael Andersson wrote: I't would have been easier to do it like I mentioned in my first post. ;)
No, it'd probably have been easier to do like he mentions in his post. Why don't you go ahead and cut a hardened steel blade diagonally? Trying to get a saw blade to bite, versus grinding it down on a belt sander, easy to know which is simpler if you have any experience working with metal. What tools would you recommend using Mikael? For all of your bluster, you certainly aren't showing any of your work.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Those are nice FDE, BUT I'm not seeing any pink blades brother!! Our Mr Anderssssssson would only be interested if the modded blades are pink. Nice attempt tho!!
Keep those innovative ideas coming Michelle!!
:D :D
Joe
Mikael Andersson

palonej wrote:Those are nice FDE, BUT I'm not seeing any pink blades brother!! Our Mr Anderssssssson would only be interested if the modded blades are pink. Nice attempt tho!!
Keep those innovative ideas coming Michelle!!
:D :D
Joe
You come across as a very insecure male... there is nothing wrong with pink blades when there are knives with pink handles for supporting the research against breast cancer.
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FDE

Post by FDE »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
FDE wrote:
ejames13 wrote:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "cut diagonally" in the OP. Do you mean a clip point? Kind of a reverse tanto shape?

The first one I did originally had a sweeping curve down to the point. The knife would have a marginally stronger tip with this shape but one of the reasons I love the PM2 is the fine pointy tip.

Mikael Andersson

FDE wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
FDE wrote:
ejames13 wrote:

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "cut diagonally" in the OP. Do you mean a clip point? Kind of a reverse tanto shape?

The first one I did originally had a sweeping curve down to the point. The knife would have a marginally stronger tip with this shape but one of the reasons I love the PM2 is the fine pointy tip.
Yes, reverse tanto.
FDE

Post by FDE »

Mikael Andersson wrote: Yes, reverse tanto.
Easier to make yes, just not a blade shape I care for.