No love for the upcoming mini Vallotton??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fanch_Man

No love for the upcoming mini Vallotton??

Post by Fanch_Man »

So I know it may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I can't find a single person talking about the new mini VallottonI! I, for one, am STOKED about it!

Perhaps others are in the same boat as me...Despite watching several Shot Show 2016 vids, I somehow missed the GoingGear video where Eric demo'd it. Needless to say, I was completely blindsided when Kevin from the "KeithKevinKen" YT channel (which I LOVE - check him out if you haven't already. He's got over 400 Spydies!) mentioned it. Sure enough, I watched the GG Shot Show vid, and there it was in all of its miniaturized glory!

Anybody else unaware or otherwise excited?? Surely I'm not the ONLY one!
Fanch_Man

Re: No love for the upcoming mini Vallotton??

Post by Fanch_Man »

Here, I'll make it easy for those who are likewise blindsided (skip to 16:52 for just the mini Vallotton):

https://youtu.be/gRy5Ah3d558
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a beautiful knife but I can't say I like it as much as the original.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I love my Vallotton, I don't carry it as much as I probably should, it was my very first higher dollar piece. Its a bit chunky for some I think but that's what I like about it, its one stout piece. I'm probably more excited about the lil' Nilakka though, that one just looks awesome, cant wait for it to drop. I'm really starting to be more selective on which pieces to pick up with so many great ones dropping.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Fanch_Man

Post by Fanch_Man »

I'm also pumped about the Lil' Nilakka! It looks like another short, chunky beauty. I'm personally not interested in knives with handles much longer than 4", so both of those options give me an opportunity to own beautiful knife designs in a size I like. That's one of those things that makes Spyderco so great: there's something for everyone!
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I was stoked for it until I saw the blade shape.
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Same here , not a recurve fan .
osprey

Post by osprey »

My inner knife user would pass on this one but I think my inner knife collector might just win this battle. Great looking piece.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

i am travvy wrote:I was stoked for it until I saw the blade shape.
This sums it up 110% for me. If it was truly a mini version of the original I'd be a lot more interested.
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It's pretty cool but the Lil Nilakka is a must get for me
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Fanch_Man

Post by Fanch_Man »

I have to agree - at least somewhat - with the blade shape issue. I still have mixed feelings about it, but I've come to terms with why (I think) they went with the recurve:

1. The idea of the overall package seems to be more of an EDC-friendly option as opposed to the full size, so the extra belly helps add some utility in that regard; and to a lesser degree
2. A simply shortened version of the original blade would (in my imagination) look odd on the now somewhat stubby handle. Less dagger-like, I would think.

Still, to each his own. If I pick one up and hate the recurve, it seems like a regrind would be a definite possibility. Either way, I love everything else about the knife!

I'm genuinely curious: for those who dislike the mini version, is it because it is "unfaithful" to the beloved original version, or is it solely out of disdain for recurve blades?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The opening hole on the regular Vallotton makes it look worse than it would with a flat spine. It's also too thick. The Mini has a recurve which adds to the list of negatives.
I'm also excited about the 'Lil Nilakka!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fanch_Man wrote:
I'm genuinely curious: for those who dislike the mini version, is it because it is "unfaithful" to the beloved original version, or is it solely out of disdain for recurve blades?
For me it's a little of both. I'm not completely against recurves but they're not my favorite and I'm a lot more critical about a knife overall if it has one. The blade really was part of the whole package of the original for me, I don't think I'd even regrind the original just because I liked the tanto tip.
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

In many ways I find the mini Vallotton to be quite exquisite but the prominent hump in the blade that accommodates the spydie hole is a big turn off. It reminds me of some kind of bug-eyed cartoon character. The blade also looks like it is much thicker than it needs to be for the size of knife. The hole and thickness doesn't look so out of place on it's larger and longer sibling. I'm also pretty sure the price point will be out of line with what I will want to pay. Not saying the knife won't be worth the price, just not what I would pay.

The li'l Nilakka is one that I am anticipating and I hope it's as good as it looks on video. :spyder: :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not crazy about recurves but if, like the larger Vallotton, D/A conversions become available through him, I'll probably pick one up.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

What gets me is that it's not really a "mini vallaton" per say. I wish they would of just kept the original valotton design and just shrunk it a little bit. I kind of get the finger grooves. On a smaller knife it gives you a better grip but changing the blade shape just killed it for me. I'm not a recurve fan. The original valotton is one of my favorites. I actually gave mine to my tattoo artist because I just couldn't use it. It's a beautiful design. He had put it through some use though, I'll try to snap some pics next time I'm in there. But yeah in summary... no.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

No love here.. Gutterball may be a strong sentence but i can't see this model being a success.
On the other hand that might be all the more reason to buy one and stick in the safe :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
PrincessTrouble

Post by PrincessTrouble »

Recurve is gone, thank goodness.

https://youtu.be/9sVmqujoFYQ
minisubhilt2.png
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I definitely like it more now that the recurve is gone but I'd still prefer the full sized version.
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I personally like the Mini-Valloton. Not what I expected, in terms of the design changes, but overall I like what they did with it. My only qualm is the thickness of the handle. It sure is a beefy little guy. :/
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal