Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cogito

Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL?

Post by Cogito »

I'm writing this on my cell phone, so please excuse any errors.

So I decided to sell my stainless Manix 2 because I really like the look of the Black manix 2 better. However, when I was looking at the Black manix 2 on Amazon, I noticed that the black manix 2 XL was relatively the same price.

So, which one should I get? Please bear in mind that I will want to EDC it in my front pocket at least twice a week. Is the XL uncomfortable?

I've only seen one review, it was really good, and he showed the two knives side by side. But he didn't mention the Comfort level of the XL during EDC.

Thank you guys for any input.
Evil D

Re: Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL?

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't mind having an XL for outdoors type uses, but it's a bit larger than I'd want to EDC, mostly just in how wide it is in your pocket. Probably the biggest issue I have with the XL is actually the Military...size for size I just like it much more than the XL, in probably every way except the lock (I would kill for a Military with a CBBL lock). So, I'd have to vote for the standard Manix 2, which is also in my top 3 favorites anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I carry an XL front pocket often and it doesn't bother me at all, I do wear Carhartt's most days though and they have big pockets, not sure if I'd want to carry it in slacks or something but hey, I like big blades so YMMV.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They weigh about the same since the XL is skeletonized and the standard one is not. The XL does take up a bit of pocket space though and it is a little large and intimidating to some people. Only you can say if it is too large for your pocket or if it will affect the people around you.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Thanks, guys. I'm torn. I won't order until September probably, so I've got about five weeks to try to find one in a store and try it out in my pocket. I really like the size of the manix 2, but I figured since the price is relatively the same that maybe I should just go for the bigger blade. I usually have a pocket designated just for my knife, so I don't think the extra width would be a problem. But I typically just wear basic Levi's . I'm torn between the two, but that's a good problem to have!

First-world problems! We're blessed.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'd say it largely depends on the size of your pockets, and whether you carry other items in the same pocket and have to reach past the knife to get them.

I do carry both (not at the same time :) ) but carry the regular Manix 2 or Military more often than the XL, except if I am whittling/playing around in the woods.

Of course you know the *proper* answer is "get both" right? :D
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

rodloos wrote:I'd say it largely depends on the size of your pockets, and whether you carry other items in the same pocket and have to reach past the knife to get them.
And it also depends on how dedicated you are to carrying it.

I have both sizes and carry both of them regularly. I don't mind carrying the XL clipped in the front pocket of my tight jeans, but it can be hard to reach in that pocket to get anything else out. I'm in the habit of only carrying a cellphone in the same pocket with the knife so except for my nervous habit of sometimes wanting to put my hands in my pockets it doesn't matter to me. If you think you might have a problem with other things in that pocket then go for the standard size version.

both sizes:

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Man, I swear by my XL.
There not very much you cant do with a Manix XL.
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

Sold my XL because I thought it was too big. Front pocket, jeans, and I keep my keys on that side. Prefer reaching past a PM2 myself.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Well, you had a regular Manix 2. Was it big enough? For most people I think the handle is plenty to hold onto. I've never wished for more blade length than a Manix 2.

To me the smallest knife that can do the job well is the best knife.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I'm going to go with the manix 2 since I already love the way it felt in the pocket.