Native XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
f.older

Native XL

Post by f.older »

What I read and see is the Native 5 as an evolution is very successful world wide. What I think is why don't they get a Native XL? Some Spydercos have a big brother (or sister?) and I can imagine a larger version of this outstanding knife would be really a seller.

What's your opinion?

Best,
f.older
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Native XL

Post by Doc Dan »

The good news is that they have a prototype Native 3.5 they displayed, I think in Amsterdam, or someplace. I have forgotten where, but it was recently.

The bad news, for me, is that I believe it was a liner lock and I was hoping for a backlock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
f.older

Post by f.older »

Doc Dan wrote:The bad news, for me, is that I believe it was a liner lock and I was hoping for a backlock.
Oh yes, that's really unfavorable. Backlock is my favored too. In my view one of the benefits of the native. Love to be a bit more save = matter of mind, to me backlock feels more reliable.

Think linerlock or framelock is much easier + more cost-effective to produce.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

What about the shaman? Isn't it supposed to be a bigger native with a compression lock or something?
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

In Amsterdam there was indeed a prototype of a bigger native.
Must say i can not remember if it was called the shaman or not.
The only problem i can see with the bigger native concept is that it could be just a hair away of a manix and that is in my eyes a bad seller because why spent so much on a big native (native are way more expensive to make) if the manix 2 is cheaper and with the bearing lock also is more durable?
f.older

Post by f.older »

I'm not sure but this one steps in the right direction (pretty old thread). Native Chief sounds much better than XL. Leaf shaped, would prefer full-flat-ground blade 3.5 mm thickness, add jimping and I will buy! :-)

A knife like this has a quite different form factor as Manix 2 and a different lock system. It's a nice blow-up of the Native 5 (bit more slender) I like it much.

Get this post as well.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

apollo wrote:In Amsterdam there was indeed a prototype of a bigger native.
Must say i can not remember if it was called the shaman or not.
The only problem i can see with the bigger native concept is that it could be just a hair away of a manix and that is in my eyes a bad seller because why spent so much on a big native (native are way more expensive to make) if the manix 2 is cheaper and with the bearing lock also is more durable?
There were several sizes of Natives in development. 3.5" bladed Shaman probably is closest to production proto. Compression lock, FFG blade and G10 contoured scales. Also 4" bladed Native Cheif and few variants of mini Natives with various lock. Of course it is not know, if any of them will make to production. I would love to see Shaman's pictures. I am not crazy about compression lock, but I will buy one.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have seen and handled the Shaman. It is a Native with a 3.5 inch blade, contoured G10 scales and a compression lock. I really liked it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'll be curious about the Shaman's contouring.

My attraction to Spyderco (I speak of Sal/Eric designs) has been its fundamental minimalism. G10 slabs are fine by me.

Overly-produced features will probably lessen my interest.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
f.older

Post by f.older »

I'm a "keep-it-simple-freak" too that means no special mechanics concerning sand or bit seawater, simple but durable and reliable locking systen, instead ball bearings I prefer simple washers, lenyard hole (not a clip guy) and a great blade steel. The Native in this view is a perfect allround knife, I use the FRN for fieldings like this. It's an awesome EDC bitttch (sorry for wording).

So a next size level version could be a next selling success.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Hi all.

Any news on the Shaman, or even the Native Chief? There seemed to be some encouraging news about the Shaman at the beginning of last year, but it has yet to materialize. Of course I made the mistake of checking out what Spyderco is coming out with this year, so my funds for the larger Natives are in grave danger of disappearing.

Thanks.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Hey KingRat,
Welcome to the Forum.
No great news on Shaman or Native Chief.
We need to wait a little. Should be new from Amsterdam fairly soon.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Welcome to the fourm, by the way great book and movie. This new knife sounds interesting let's see what happens.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It would be good for people who like the native design but have hands that are too large for the standard handle like my friend. Aside from that for people who like "thumb on the spine of the blade" style grips, a native xl would be a nice alternative to the sabre grip style of the manix.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Thanks bh49 and holeshot. King Rat is a great read, made into an excellent film. Hopefully we will get some nice pictures from Amsterdam.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KingRat wrote:Thanks bh49 and holeshot. King Rat is a great read, made into an excellent film. Hopefully we will get some nice pictures from Amsterdam.
I've read most of Michener's novels. I really liked anything he wrote.