Has anyone else noticed what an awesome forum we have?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jmotley

Re: Has anyone else noticed what an awesome forum we have?

Post by Jmotley »

I certainly agree. I started lurking here five or 6 years ago and became a member four years ago and check in almost daily. Yet, I only have 46 posts. And I know there are plenty of other members like me, who are happy to just read and learn what we can and ask questions occasionally. And I really believe that is a testament to how good it is. I don't imagine I would be a member here if I had to wade through a bunch of bulls&@) bickering and negativity. I spend my "decompression" time on this forum and I thank you all for making it such a pleasurable place.
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

Thanks for sharing that, it's inspirational. Seems too rare these days, especially on internet forums. Thanks for letting me hang out here guys, I'm still a new guy but I think I'll be here awhile.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Nice tale, & sentiments I agree with.

Nice work, Chad.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Wow! Thank you for the kind words Lance! :) I've been on the road all day and just saw this post :o . You took some really nice pictures there! I'm very glad to hear you like your Mule handle. Most of all, thank you for your willingness to pass on some kindness!!!

Thank you to everyone for the kind comments on the handle as well! :D :D

This is a special community and I really appreciate just how many kind and helpful people I come in contact with here. I believe that everything we all do every day has a rippling effect like a wave in water that extends far beyond what we see in our lives directly. How I interact with one person affects how they interact with the next etc.. My goal is to leave "positive ripples" in my wake..so to speak. This forum is a place where there is more of that happening than any other place I know.

This story began first with an extremely kind gesture from The Deacon. I was just hoping that if I did something nice for Lance and asked him to do something kind for someone else, that maybe more than just the 2 or 3 people directly involved would be affected in some positive way. This is why Lance and I talked about the value in posting about whatever kind gesture he chooses. Hopefully someone would be inspired to treat another person with kindness just because they are aware of this situation....

And then this...
SpeedHoles wrote:PS - Best part is, it seems much of this can easily rub off, and I often find myself enjoying other activities more in the same way, and trying to carry this etiquette over to other forms of social media and forums, and even daily living!...
Thank you SpeedHoles!! THIS is the positive ripple I'm talking about and you proved that it happens. :D

Thank you to all of the kind contributors here on the Spyderco Forum for making this a truly special place. And thank you Lance for taking the time to write this thread and encourage others in this positive way!

Best regards!
Chad :spyder: :D :spyder:

PS.. I look forward to seeing some fish guts on that knife at some point. :D ;)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Lance,

Nice story! Thanks for sharing, to Paul & Chad too!

The forum is great place to take a respite from work, thanks to you all! :cool:
Chris :spyder:
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

It most certainly rubs off and bleeds over to other aspects of daily life! If anyone remembers the forum essay contest, that was pretty much the theme to my pretty sincere and heartfelt entry. It's not always a happy world out there, but the environment we have here is a consistent reminder that every little bit counts. I feel it every day, and I don't think it's possible for anyone to make it over 100 posts and not take something away as well, whether you know it or not. It's the reason I keep coming here, even when I have no new info to share or mediocre pics to post. It's just a great place to be! And that is why that essay contest prize is finally about to be proudly displayed on the wall of my first house!

Come to think of it, I've been the beneficiary of quite a bit of kindness and good fortune on here. That contest, this year's calendar, participating in two passarounds, heck I even won photo of the week on my first try! I should really give something back, but I don't know what. I'll have to keep my eyes open, and strike when it's least expected. ;)
Last edited by PayneTrain on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

100% agree! This is the first forum I've sign up to since 2007, so there's certainly something special going on here. But it shouldn't come as a surprise, seeing the kind of person running this place :)

Great story and great knife. I hope to see more from you Xplorer! Your other mule handle with the blue spacer was just as stellar
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

LOve it, just, LOve it.
I do believe that Sal started this culture by leading in example.
A few years back my wife had an orange Ladybug lifted from her lunch box at work.
I posted about the incident here & a very nice man & forum member sent her a Jess Horn as a replacement present. She carries it to this day.
Love you guys, O.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

All of the responses to this post are the proof (not like other proof you might have seen on youtube...) of what a great community the Spyderco forum is.

Thanks to Lance, Paul and Chad for this installment of awesomeness, thanks also to everyone else here for being contributors in their own ways and thanks especially to Sal and the entire crew at Spyderco, for creating a fantastic product and then giving it's fans a special place to share their passion.

There are other good forums out there on the internet, but this is my favorite by a wide margin!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Awfull place to hang in :D Too many shameless enablers :p :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

I never noticed. :p

Nah, everyone has helped me out more than they need to.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This is the nicest forum i have ever participated in. good people, good knives.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

This is a great place indeed. I joined this forum in December of 2001 after receiving a warm welcome from the folks here, including Sal. I was impressed with the genuine camaraderie and friendly atmosphere and decided to stick around.

Sal and the Glesser family have an amazing thing going on here. I'm just really happy they decided to share it with us. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

ZrowsN1s wrote:This is the nicest forum i have ever participated in. good people, good knives.
This^^^^

I have numerous hobbies and interests so I'm a member or lurk on a lot of forums. I must say that I have never seen a more welcoming group to Newbs such as myself. I have also never seen the head of a company participate like sal. It's awesome!
I also love the lack of Trolls!

Nice knife btw!