MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Sharp Guy

Re: MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

Post by Sharp Guy »

I may just have to get my first Mule! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Maxamet was a Mule suggestion a few years ago.

This got my attention from that thread:

"Maxamet is an extreme alloy, for comparison, it is to 10V what S90V is to 420J2. Maxamet is used when HSS like M4 fail because they are too soft or wear too fast - just consider that for a matter of perspective."

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=62976
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Carpenter Steel says they consistently get HRC 70 hardness out of this steel, and that it still holds about HRC 63 at 1000F. This is getting close to carbide hardness (typically HRC 75). They also said it's designed to have superior toughness compared to carbide. That may or may not be an impressive statement considering how brittle carbide tools are. However, considering that Spyderco worked out a process for this steel, and is excited to bring it to us, I'm thinking this steel could be pretty awesome. I'm very curious to see what hardness Spyderco produces with this one, and I'm already planning to buy 2. :) :spyder: :spyder:
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

I'm in of this one for sure.
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Any word on corrosion resistance? I'm guessing it's low due to the chromium and carbon contents, but there's sometimes more to it
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

It's an expensive little bugger!
Certainly not complaining though!!
Very glad to be afforded the opportunity to get to try a steel such as Maxamet....
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

From the datasheet, it seems like toughness will be lower than current more conventional high speed steels at high hardness (like CPM-M4 I assume?). I believe most M4 in the Spyderco lineup is around HRC 62-63.

"The toughness of Micro-Melt Maxamet alloy is somewhat lower than that of conventional powder metal high speed steel grades hardened to HRC 65/67. However, the toughness is significantly greater than that of cemented carbide."

I wonder how hard these mules will be.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Brock O Lee wrote:Maxamet was a Mule suggestion a few years ago.

This got my attention from that thread:

"Maxamet is an extreme alloy, for comparison, it is to 10V what S90V is to 420J2. Maxamet is used when HSS like M4 fail because they are too soft or wear too fast - just consider that for a matter of perspective."

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=62976
I remember that statement when it was posted, it was then and still is completely delusional. ;)

Here is a quote right from their data sheet, much more realistic: http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.aspx?i=101&E=84

Wear Resistance

The wear resistance of Micro-Melt Maxamet alloy is better than that of conventional powder metal high speed steel grades and is equivalent to AISI A11 cold work powder metal tool steel.

What it really is really is a hot work A11, A11 is a cold work steel. The reason for the load of Cobalt and Tungsten that MAXAMET has among other alloys. They wanted A11 performance in a hot work steel, both Tungsten and Cobalt work very well in a hot work environment.

That said it should be an interesting steel to test for some, will be very educational for others, that is what the Mule Team project is for. :spyder:

How equivalent it is or not to the A11 grades in knife blades will depend on what Spyderco focused on when they chose the HT protocol, only testing will reveal that.

I am sure it took a lot of R&D on both Spyderco's and Carpenters part to develop a HT protocol that would work in knife blades so my hat's off to both of them for that. :)

For those who have the K390 Mule Team and or the K2 (CPM 10V) can do some nice comparison testing. :D
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Is it stainless?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

swigert wrote:Is it stainless?

No, it's not stainless.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Ankerson wrote:

No, it's not stainless.
what would you compare it to in terms of patina action?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

swigert wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

No, it's not stainless.

Dunno, that will depend on what HT protocol Spyderco went with in the end so that remains to be seen.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Ankerson wrote:
swigert wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

No, it's not stainless.

Dunno, that will depend on what HT protocol Spyderco went with in the end so that remains to be seen.
Gotcha Thanks
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

swigert wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
swigert wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

No, it's not stainless.

Gotcha Thanks
Everything is one big question mark right now.

Nobody will really know anything until these things get into peoples hands and when and if they are tested/used.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Jim.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

farnorthdan wrote:This is great news, only thing that continues to bother me though is shipping to Alaska, it doesn't cost any more to ship here than any of the other 49 States in the Union so I don't understand the $15 surcharge :(

I could be wrong, but the way I'm reading it, you pay $15, not $15 more than CONUS. You pay $15, the rest of us pay the "standard shipping rate" (I think that's $9, but there's no easy way of finding out). Spyderco ships by UPS for CONUS. AK, HI, and PR go by USPS, probably Priority Mail, and it probably costs a bit more, but way less than if they sent it UPS Air.
TazKristi wrote: Domestic Orders:
Domestic Shipping in the Continental United States: Standard Shipping rates apply.
Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico Shipping: USPS $15.00
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The Deacon wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:This is great news, only thing that continues to bother me though is shipping to Alaska, it doesn't cost any more to ship here than any of the other 49 States in the Union so I don't understand the $15 surcharge :(

I could be wrong, but the way I'm reading it, you pay $15, not $15 more than CONUS. You pay $15, the rest of us pay the "standard shipping rate" (I think that's $9, but there's no easy way of finding out). Spyderco ships by UPS for CONUS. AK, HI, and PR go by USPS, probably Priority Mail, and it probably costs a bit more, but way less than if they sent it UPS Air.
Domestic Shipping in the Continental United States: Standard Shipping rates apply.
Actually it come USPS unless UPS has access to my locked mail box, either way its not that big a deal, I was just in a whiny mood :p , I just get tired of being treated like an outcast living in the Farnorth when it actually costs no more than any other state, flat rate is flat rate. ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

farnorthdan wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

Actually it come USPS unless UPS has access to my locked mail box, either way its not that big a deal, I was just in a whiny mood :p , I just get tired of being treated like an outcast living in the Farnorth when it actually costs no more than any other state, flat rate is flat rate. ;)
They have to fly everything in... Not like they can truck things to AK, HI, PR so it will cost more no matter what.

They could truck to AK, but it would take forever and be even more expensive than flying it, plus customs on both ends on top of that going through Canada.

USPS has those Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes and they do work shipping to HI and AK just for general info. ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

farnorthdan wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

It costs $13 for me UPS and I'm 2 states away in TX. Hey we all get in whiny moods though :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Ankerson wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

They have to fly everything in... Not like they can truck things to AK, HI, PR so it will cost more no matter what.
Very true Anderson, there is no UPS ground to AK, I'm just saying that USPS flat rate shipping is exactly the same to AK as the rest of the lower 48. I've encountered this with other vendors who only use UPS ground, some wont even accept your order because of it, shoot there are even some private sellers who only ship lower 48, its just frustrating sometimes that there are still folks out there that don't understand that there is zero cost difference shipping to AK. I don't begrudge SFO for there policy and have in the past and I'm sure in the future continue to buy from the SFO for pieces I desire. It is after all a small price to pay for living in the last frontier. Maybe when I place my order for a couple of these new MT's I'll even add a Calendar (if they still have any) even though we're over half way through the year. ;) :) :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."