Sal, have you ever tested stainless steel knives in the dishwasher?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Sal, have you ever tested stainless steel knives in the dishwasher?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Just wondering if Spyderco have ever tested stainless steels in the dishwasher. Personally I have been lazy with my kitchen knives in the past (45CrMov14), and just put them in the dishwasher instead of cleaning them by hand. I noticed over time that the satin knives became very dull looking and that the laser engravings have almost disappeared. I do live in an area with very hard water but my suspicion is that it's caused by the concentrated dishwasher tablets. I also had some pitting on one of knives on one occasion. I no longer put my knives in the dishwasher and always clean them by hand and they seem better, although the damage has already been done.

Maybe there should be a sentence in each product guide stating something to the effect "dishwasher use is at your own risk"?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Cujobob

Re: Sal, have you ever tested stainless steel knives in the dishwasher?

Post by Cujobob »

The dishwasher detergent is the most harmful aspect of cleaning them with that method.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The detergent is the main issue. It is very caustic. You are asking a machine to clean your dishes without actually even touching them. That takes hot water, decent water pressure and some chemicals. I have always been told that dishwasher detergent is so corrosive that it can actually dull your edges through corrosion. This all leaves out the fact that things have a tendency to get knocked around and bang into each other in there which isn't ideal for cutlery. Many people use the drying feature as well and while it shouldn't get hot enough to ruin temper in there when using that feature I wouldn't risk it. If anything the heat will just accelerate the effects of the detergent. I know that when my dishes get done drying that they are too hot to touch. I am an energy conscious person so I dry mine by hand but it is something to think about.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

My Dragonfly Salt went through the washing machine last week. Still clipped to the pocket when the wife went to hang the shorts on the clothesline :) It was nice and clean!
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

bouhunter wrote:My Dragonfly Salt went through the washing machine last week. Still clipped to the pocket when the wife went to hang the shorts on the clothesline :) It was nice and clean!

That method works well for iPhones too. :(
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

When I called the Spyderco warranty folks about my Manix 2, the woman told me that the easiest way to clean a lot of grit and sand in the lock and pivot was to put it in the dishwasher washing machine in your pants pocket. So they have faith in it. I've never needed to do that, but it's good to know that I can.
Last edited by jimmyjohnjohn on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Yeah, I would still use it only as a last resort. There are a few things I won't put in the dishwasher, mainly knives and pint glasses. Knives for the above stated reasons, and pint glasses cuz it wears the markings off and clouds the glass. It's a pretty harsh environment in there.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just use a sponge and some Dawn and literally just wipe the sides of the blade off and then wipe it dry. I think it would take more effort for me to load the dishwasher.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:I just use a sponge and some Dawn and literally just wipe the sides of the blade off and then wipe it dry. I think it would take more effort for me to load the dishwasher.

Me too! A little dish soap on a brush or wash rag, a good rinse, and dry and it's good to go!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Palmolive, not Dawn. Dawn is too harsh on my delicate little hands.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doc Dan wrote:Palmolive, not Dawn. Dawn is too harsh on my delicate little hands.
Ha! "You know you're soaking in it?" :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Doc Dan wrote:Palmolive, not Dawn. Dawn is too harsh on my delicate little hands.
LOL!!!

No knife in the dishwasher. Especially fixed blade with expoxied (wood) handles. The hot water and chemicals deteriate the epoxy bonding (and the wood) and all above mentioned unwanted effects.

Hot water, old toothbrush and liquid soap, whatever available.....
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Might be harsh on the steel but will be even worse on the handles. And the knives can bounce around and mess up the edges.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder how a pressure washer would do? Nothing crazy like 1600psi but some reasonably pressurized water sprayed into the pivot should clean out anything that running water can't.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I just edited my reply. It was two years ago, but I think she told me the clothes washer was safe, in a pants pocket. Not the dishwasher. I think that is correct.
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

The wife is of the opinion that anything that can't survive a trip through the dishwasher doesn't belong in a kitchen. She's destroyed tons of plastic stuff with this philosophy. Anything marked "not safe for dishwasher" gets used once and put to the test. I finally have her leaving my kitchen knives alone....she won't wash them but she doesn't put them in the dishwasher either and that's fine with me. After all these years of training I'll be dammed if I let her see me put a folder in there even if it works fantastically and is personally recommended by Sal Glesser.
bazfum

Post by bazfum »

I've run BD1 and H1 through the dishwasher with no issues. Not sure I'd try with anything else though. 8cr didn't like it as much...