Where are the 3 inch blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Where are the 3 inch blades?

Post by Jazz »

Just really wondering if anyone else is anxiously awaiting the Li'l Temp 2 and the smaller Paramilitary like I am. That's my using size of knife. I know most of y'all like 3.5 and up, but after a lot of years using and deciding, I've settled on 3 inch blades for most uses.
- best wishes, Jazz.
FDE

Re: Where are the 3 inch blades?

Post by FDE »

Couldn't have said it any better myself. REALLY looking forward to the PM3! I'll be buying a Sage 5 as well to see how Taichung does with the compression lock.
Humint

Post by Humint »

The only 2 I am really waiting on are the smaller Paramilitary and your wonderfully designed Spyderco Delica with Wharncliffe blade!!!!!!! Literally those are the only 2 knives I will be buying in the years to come. I only carry a Delica now after owning close to $20k worth of blades throughout the years.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

The Caly 3 is a great knife.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I, as well, prefer a 3 inch blade, but I also prefer a wider handle than the Delica for my aging hands. I've been waiting for the Lil Temp 2 for so long that I expect it to arrive on the backs of unicorns.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I'm looking forward to the Sage 5 myself. I handled both the PM3 and Sage 5 protos at Blade 2015 and they are both great blades,bui I personally much prefer the Sage package.

It's currently hard for me to resist the S110V Native 5 but I need to slow down my purchases for a minute.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Big fan of 3" blades here too. I have some larger knives but they don't get carried as much as my smaller knives do.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A 2.75" to 3" blade is the most practical for day to day use. I will probably buy a Native LW in the next month or so. I hope for the return of the Caly3 in a different steel than ZDP-189. And the new Sage 5 is really tempting me. I am going to have to sell a knife or two that I do not really want to fund my need.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I love compression locks and am eagerly awaiting the many smaller comp lock models that are on the way. The Lil' Temp2, Sage5, Para3?, Ouroboros and Rhino are all exciting news.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

A Caly 3 would be real nice, especially with FRN and bidirectional texturing (How is this not a thing? It's a great design and would be better if lightened a bit - I love FRN), and yes, the Delica wharnie (I just didn't want to say it :D ).
- best wishes, Jazz.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Humint wrote:The only 2 I am really waiting on are the smaller Paramilitary and your wonderfully designed Spyderco Delica with Wharncliffe blade!!!!!!! Literally those are the only 2 knives I will be buying in the years to come. I only carry a Delica now after owning close to $20k worth of blades throughout the years.
I have also owned a lot of knives and find myself satisfying my knife needs with the Delica, Pacific Salt and Native 5 LW. I just don't have a need for any other knife. I mostly prefer 3" blades and only really use my pac salt at home in the yard. These days I find that I carry the Native 5 LW more than the Delica but both are excellent. That said, I am really looking forward to the Caribbean (and really would love to have a Native 5 Salt).
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz,

Do you own the S110V N5 LW?? Astounding and a lot of what you like, thicker Dyck than FFG D4
Ocarr

Post by Ocarr »

Waiting for the Lil' Nilakka myself, hoping Sal uses M4 or 52100 for the blade steel though. I'm thinking that either of those steels would suit the blade geometry well, plus the patina that would develop will complement nicely the ivory-colored scales. (Until then, I'll hang around for the wharnie Delica and the Sage 5)
BTG

Post by BTG »

I to love 3 inch blades, carried my first N5 everyday for two years, and have my Titanium M4 Delica, (AKA Mantra) in my pocket right now. Sage 5 is preordered and can't wait for the PM3....is it still going to be called the Minuteman, or is it up in the air?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

BTG wrote:I to love 3 inch blades, carried my first N5 everyday for two years, and have my Titanium M4 Delica, (AKA Mantra) in my pocket right now. Sage 5 is preordered and can't wait for the PM3....is it still going to be called the Minuteman, or is it up in the air?
IIRC, the name Minuteman was already in use by another company.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

twinboysdad wrote:Jazz,

Do you own the S110V N5 LW?? Astounding and a lot of what you like, thicker Dyck than FFG D4
Yes sir. It is a great whittler, which is my main edge geometry test. LOVE the color.

What does Dyck mean?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My ideal knife is in the 2.5-3" range for sure. Really looking forward to the Rhino and Lil Temp :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Jazz,

Yes sir. It is a great whittler, which is my main edge geometry test. LOVE the color.

What does Dyck mean?
Dear goodness that could have been interpreted wrong...thicker stock as in blade stock. My phone must have changed that
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I could time travel, I would send this thread back in time to around 2010 or so when the PM2 came out and everyone sang the praises of the extra blade length. People seem to have forgotten how good the PM1 was. It kinda cracks me up how the timeline of this knife goes.

1. Wow! The Military is an awesome knife, but it's kinda big. How about a smaller version, say 3ish inches? YEAH!

The Paramilitary is born.

2. Wow! The Paramilitary is an awesome knife, but it's a little on the small side. How about just a little bigger, say 3.5ish inches? YEAH!

The Paramilitary 2 is born.

3. Wow! The Paramilitary 2 is an awesome knife, but it's kinda big. How about a smaller version, say 3ish inches? YEAH!

The Paramilitary 3 is born. Or wait, have we circled back around to the Paramilitary 1 now? Just with full liners and 4 way clip?

Like the saying goes, there's nothing new under the sun.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I scored a BNIB NOS Lil Temp Leaf 440V and if the clip had not been such a monstrosity it could have been the folder that made me stop buying knives for a while. It now resides with Wire Edge Roger and I am glad a forum pal has it. I eagerly await the Lil Temp 2 and honestly the clip would be all I changed. Love the Green, love the 4mm thick blade, love the ergos