Combo edged Para2 by Willey Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Combo edged Para2 by Willey Knives

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I picked up a couple of factory second Paramilitary2s at the seconds sale this past November and quickly sent them out to Willey Knives to have them serrated. Sal has recommended them in the past and I am not the first person to post on here about using their service but it does seem as though it has been awhile since anyone posted about doing it. I cannot say anything but good things about the experience. They communicated very well and were very professional and the turnaround was fast. From my communication with them it sounded like sharpening is something they do quite a bit of. It is a family run business and they are clearly knife lovers just like us. I paid $5 per knife plus flat rate shipping both ways. It came to just over $20 total to have two of them done with shipping. I think I paid $50 each for the factory second Para2s and since it was a bad bevel that was the defect on both of them this was a perfect opportunity. They wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting and explained very well that they would have to blend the back bevel into the back of the serrations. This is not a factory serration but it is a very high quality job. The actual edge angle is less on factory serrations but these serration should also be much more durable than factory serrations. Anyway, I will let the pics do the talking from here and if you have any questions just let me know. :D

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Re: Combo edged Para2 by Willey Knives

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for the information, Darby. I admired your SE PM2 the first time you posted pics of it a few days ago. Very cool service and very reasonably priced. I can see sending a number of my own knives in for a little tooth work. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thanks for the review... I can now see why SE is done with a chisel grind, it looks quite strange with a double bevel, and I suppose the teeth will wear away much faster.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Looks pretty good. I wonder if they would do 3/4 of the blade instead of half. The best part is it looks like they would be compatible with the sharpmaker too.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Brock O Lee wrote:Thanks for the review... I can now see why SE is done with a chisel grind, it looks quite strange with a double bevel, and I suppose the teeth will wear away much faster.
Why would you think that? Chisel grind cuts your edge angle in half. Having a 40 degree edge angle instead of 20 degree should make it wear a lot slower.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

VashHash wrote:Looks pretty good. I wonder if they would do 3/4 of the blade instead of half. The best part is it looks like they would be compatible with the sharpmaker too.
From my communication with them in the past year, options are very limited because their grinding wheels are for a specific number of teeth at a specific angle.

It looks like this was done with the combo edge military teeth, which IMO looks pretty good. You have some extra teeth and some usable plain edge.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They told me that they have two grinding wheels. One can do 1 3/4 inches of serrations and the other one can do 4 inches of serrations. I was gonna have a Cruwear Military done but it doesn't have 4 inches of cutting edge and I didn't want a combo edge Cruwear Military.

I don't see why these would wear faster.

They fixed the bad bevel on the knife and the bevel on the plain edge portion of this blade came back as perfect as could be. Very impressive sharpening ability.

They said that they serrate a lot of kitchen knives. It seemed as though they sharpen a lot of kitchen knives as a service.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Donut wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:Thanks for the review... I can now see why SE is done with a chisel grind, it looks quite strange with a double bevel, and I suppose the teeth will wear away much faster.
Why would you think that? Chisel grind cuts your edge angle in half. Having a 40 degree edge angle instead of 20 degree should make it wear a lot slower.
It was my initial gut feel. If I look at the presentation side, it looks like these serrations are cut at roughly the same angle as the factory serrations. On the other side you have less metal per point/scallop because of the bevel, and as a result they might wear faster. Just a guess, I could be wrong...

You have a point about the more obtuse angle...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
palonej

Post by palonej »

Looks like they did a great job on that one Darby!!
Thanks for posting!
Joe