Nirvana Titanium

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ncmiked

Re: Nirvana Titanium

Post by Ncmiked »

I tend to agree with Spydernut, I heard varying reports about the lock issue, some have reported severe stick, some mild and some with none at all. Mine own experience was medium stick. It was cured in about a day or so of ownership.

I think it unfortunate that Rangerover has had issues with his knife but I also think it just as unfortunate that he has called Sal and Eric's integrity into question on this forum. After all we would not be here if this forum wasn't provided to us by them.

Having read past situations similar to this one brought up on the forums, I can about predict that Sal or Eric will take it on the chin and respond to Rangerover's concerns with class.

Best of luck Rangerover, hope it works out for you.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to help rangerover. He's not here for that. He isn't trying to resolve problems or gather information unless it agrees with his own perceptions. Maybe after the lashing out stage he'll be more receptive.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I am very sorry you do not have the patience or the know-how to deal with a problem that so many of us have already reported, but so many of us have reported the solution. It is not appropriate to begin "shouting" by using all caps at Sal and Eric about this problem - you're in their house and it's not polite to insult your hosts. Unlike Sal, Eric rarely posts on this forum, something we hope we can convince him to do more of in the future but it's his deal and his choice.

If you would like to resolve the issue and keep the knife, and are still unable/unwilling to follow the advice on this and other forums regarding the fix for this temporary lock stick issue, send a (polite!) email or letter to Spyderco W&R and/or Sal and Eric themselves. Otherwise, return the knife to where you bought it, or sell it to another knife lover that will be able to make the lock as buttery smooth as mine now is. It's a fantastic knife. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I'll buy your defective Nirvana for $150.
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I am very sorry you do not have the patience or the know-how to deal with a problem that so many of us have already reported, but so many of us have reported the solution. It is not appropriate to begin "shouting" by using all caps at Sal and Eric about this problem - you're in their house and it's not polite to insult your hosts. Unlike Sal, Eric rarely posts on this forum, something we hope we can convince him to do more of in the future but it's his deal and his choice.

If you would like to resolve the issue and keep the knife, and are still unable/unwilling to follow the advice on this and other forums regarding the fix for this temporary lock stick issue, send a (polite!) email or letter to Spyderco W&R and/or Sal and Eric themselves. Otherwise, return the knife to where you bought it, or sell it to another knife lover that will be able to make the lock as buttery smooth as mine now is. It's a fantastic knife. :)

Looks like there are a lot of people not happy with the RIL TI LOCK-OUT !!

Apparently, many people knew at least 6 years ago that TITANIUM RIL LOCKS are a major "Lock-out sticking problem".

Titanium is softer and sticks on steel !!

So, on past knives (Spyderco Titanium Military RIL) they added a "steel insert on the RIL" to allow the knife to function smoothly.

Moderators are just trying to play down the problem.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 8R-I-L-%29

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67929
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

This is not a defect, at all. In fact, it's not a lock problem specifically. When the knife is shipped from the factory, it's well-coated in lubricant around the pivot, and it'll end up on the lock face. This lubricant causes the extreme lock stick. To solve this, clean the lock face thoroughly; that should take care of it for the most part. If not, take a pencil and apply some graphite to the lock face. By the time it wears off, the lock will have almost certainly worn in enough to not have any more stick.

Yes, a LOT of people are having this problem with the Nirvana. The likely cause of this is the extremely fine tolerances of the manufacturing which exacerbate an issue that a LOT of knives have. I don't own a Nirvana, but I've handled one, and I've seen the above take care of the problem very easily. And I personally wouldn't want a steel insert on this knife ruining the lines and appearance of the integral handle.

This is a common and known fact with RIL/Framelock knives with Ti handles. My Techno was the same way, and it took very little time for it to wear in.

For more help with your Nirvana, see this video by EpicSnuggleBunny: https://youtu.be/FuENbS3LCkc

TLDR: It's not defective, calm down, stop yelling at Spyderco. :)
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

dplafoll wrote:This is not a defect, at all. In fact, it's not a lock problem specifically.

Yes, a LOT of people are having this problem with the Nirvana.
This is a common and known fact with RIL/Framelock knives with Ti handles. My Techno was the same way, and it took very little time for it to wear in.

For more help with your Nirvana, see this video by EpicSnuggleBunny: https://youtu.be/FuENbS3LCkc

TLDR: It's not defective, calm down, stop yelling at Spyderco. :)

Take a look at another video, TERRIBLE FROZEN LOCK !!!
https://youtu.be/498w-iOcQkk

Wou pay for an expensive SRP $719.95, you shouldn't have to FIGHT TO UNLOCK !!
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

Look at the video.....everyone is having problems !!!

And the ones who are suck ups to Spyderco say it's not really a problem, BUT IT IS !!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I will first say that some makers have reported that they like a little stick for added security.

I will also add that getting your point across goes much smoother when you are not argumentative and especially when you don't start out by calling people's character and integrity into question. That was an unfortunate way of handling this as now the pathways of communication are obstructed by emotions.

Lastly, I have to agree a little. I handled the Nirvana at the SFO and it wasn't lock stick, it was lock lockup. Having to use two hands and considerable force to disengage a lock is not lock stick. I would not pay that much for the sample I handled. The Tighe Stick was the same way. The Myrtle not too bad. I mean this as constructive criticism and do not support the negative tone of this thread. These Taichung Spydies without steel inserts are having some lock stick issues in my opinion. The samples I handled are nothing like my Sage2 was. My Sage2 was fine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If you are having problems with your blade then why not just return it? What exactly do you want to accomplish in this thread?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
rennet

Post by rennet »

RangeRover wrote:Look at the video.....everyone is having problems !!!

And the ones who are suck ups to Spyderco say it's not really a problem, BUT IT IS !!

It's funny that you've linked that video, because if you look at the followup video it says "Spyderco Nirvana Update-No More Lock Stick!"

https://youtu.be/83X0nGjO4q0
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

RangeRover wrote:Look at the video.....everyone is having problems !!!

You know what, dude. You're a piece of work. We tried to help you. Your ignorance is only trumped by the fact that you are so willing to display it on a public forum..
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

This is an issue that can happen to any knife made by anyone with a steel blade and Ti handles without a lock insert. The issue with the Nirvana has been shown to be caused by excess lubricant, and not a manufacturing defect or flaw. In fact, the lubricant is likely an issue due to very tight manufacturing tolerances.
Nobody can help you if you're unwilling to be helped, and no amount of fact will change your opinion if you're unwilling to learn. Good luck getting any company to warranty a perfectly-normal knife without any actual problems, other than a willfully-uninformed and stubborn user. Have a nice day.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

It's interesting to me that in these types of threads, the OP invariably mentions the MSRP, which they most assuredly did not pay.

It's also interesting to me how persistently helpful people here are, often giving people the benefit of the doubt far past where it is reasonable to do so.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

tvenuto wrote:
It's also interesting to me how persistently helpful people here are, often giving people the benefit of the doubt far past where it is reasonable to do so.
This is what I take away from these types of threads
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vanatomas

Post by vanatomas »

To all, does anyone have some visuals on how to apply pencil graphite?
Got knife is same lock matter, cleaned it, tried to add graphite, but not much is being applied there.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

On one hand, I'm completely sympathetic to the OP for spending the money he did and getting a knife that doesn't seem to function properly. If I had spent ~$430 on a knife and it stuck so bad it took two hands to unlock, then I'd be extremely disappointed too.

On the other hand, I'm completely baffled when an extremely simple solution is available and the person refuses to accept anything other than utter outrage. Either try the simple fix or return the knife and get your money back. Hey, it's even cool to come here and share your frustrations with spending a lot of money and getting something you thought was unacceptable. But when you absolutely refuse to listen to reason and question the integrity of the owner and his son, that's going too far.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Eric Glesser

Post by Eric Glesser »

Hi Rangerover,

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. Can you please send back your knife and we would be happy to work on the issue. We apologize for the frustrations and will try our best to correct them.

Please send it Attention Eric Glesser with your contact information.

Thanks Much
Eric
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

I've been on the fence with the Nirvana, but with some of the issues that have come up...but DANG I want one. When the owners of Spyderco come in to the forums to help out you just can't go wrong...that Eric, makes you a standup guy in my book, great job!