Nirvana Titanium

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RangeRover

Nirvana Titanium

Post by RangeRover »

I just purchased this knife and while the finish of the knife is beautiful, the fit is terrible !!

The RIL is so tight that I must use a piece of hard plastic to "pry the RIL open" in order to close the knife.

I have been a casual knife collector for over 20 years, and I have several RIL knives. So, I know how they are supposed to operate.

I tried a little bit of oil and even with dozens of openings/closings(with the plastic)isn't making it any better.

I can't believe that Sal's QC doesn't check this and would let a knife with such a high price point out the door with this defect !

I'm extremely disappointed in the terrible quality fit and lack of attention to detail.

If I had know about the defect, I would not have purchased it !!
The Mastiff

Re: Nirvana Titanium

Post by The Mastiff »

Have you considered sending it in to W&R?

By the way you aren't getting oil on the RIL lockface are you?

Joe
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

Umm yea, oil on the lock is a no go. About the Nirvana f/f, may I suggest cleaning all the oil off with alcohol. Then apply some pencil lead to the lock face, see if that helps.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Interesting that this thread popped up. I have heard in various forums of this issue. Then a few days ago I was in OKC and the big gun store there which has a nice display had one. Of course I had to touch it. Hated it. Once I got it open I could not close it. At all. The guy behind the counter commented that they were going to send it back. I then went to the Benchmade section and grabbed the 761 and OMG what a difference. Opened and closed like greased butter! And $150 less.

No excuse for the Spydie being like that. How in the **** does the guy at the factory who put that together flip that open then use a crowbar to close it and say, "okay,this one is ready."?

I love my Spydies but not being a glassy-eyed fanboy I am not afraid to call out poor quality when I see it.
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

I think it's a matter of breaking in. Titanium frame locks seem to have sticky locks, some worse than others, knives with the steel insert don't seem problematic. My Nirvana took a good day of working the lock to break in. I knew when I bought the knife there was a chance for it to have lock stick but I also knew from past experience what to do. Not everyone wants to deal with the break in, irrelevant to cost.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Mine was sticking pretty bad as well. Worked the lock with pencil graphite, and it's now nice and smooth. I could have sent it in, but I'm glad that I took the time to just take care of it myself.
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

Does anybody know if the lockbar is treated in some way to reduce wear?
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I have owned some Striders over the years and a few had this problem. I used a pencil lead and broke them in. They eventually worked out and released normal. It is a PITA.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I'm having no problem with that, but unlike all my other spydies (200+), this is the hardest to open with my thumb...I usually push up and away, and it won't budge....have to really get my thumb hooked on hole and give it a very intentional lift...almost straight up....and it's not because the blade is sticky, or a strong detent, I think it's just handle / hand positioning and blade pivot location....this is the only spydie I open with middle finger flick from underneath, smooth and easy with that style deployment....love it...hasn't left my pocket since it arrived.
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

Looks like EVERYONE is having the same LOCK DEFECT !!

It's impossible to close. How could anyone at Spyderco check the mechanism, see that it won't close, and then say THIS IS OK !!??

For the price point.....they should work smooth as butter, otherwise they should not be cleared by QC.

I can tell that Sal is no longer in charge. His son Eric doesn't have the attention to detail !!

And Eric doesn't care about the problems in these Forums either !!
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

Pfff.... Take a deep breath and just break it in. Or return/sell it.
I'm loving mine! Yes the lock was sticky at first, but now it's perfect ☺ ☺ ☺ .
Nicest Spyderco until now imho.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

RangeRover wrote:Looks like EVERYONE is having the same LOCK DEFECT !!

It's impossible to close. How could anyone at Spyderco check the mechanism, see that it won't close, and then say THIS IS OK !!??

For the price point.....they should work smooth as butter, otherwise they should not be cleared by QC.

I can tell that Sal is no longer in charge. His son Eric doesn't have the attention to detail !!

Why so quick to paint with such broad strokes?
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

Wow Rangerover. Take a deep breath. If your Nirvana is in fact defective send it in for a look to Spyderco. I personally think it's a break in issue but who knows. One thing is for sure, you are not happy. Life is too short to be upset about a functional issue with a knife, especially when it will be taken care of by Spyderco. I don't know Eric but some of the stories I've heard about him makes me think he is a very decent man, just like his Dad.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Those are some big conclusions to jump to. Slow down a minute.

No way to know some of those claims.

Definitely time I send the knife in to Golden and see what they do. Sorry your disappointed. I'm sure it will get figured out. I've never seen Sal and crew not make a situation right.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I just looked out my window. Can confirm, world is definitely coming to an end.
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

Flipping Addict wrote:Interesting that this thread popped up. I have heard in various forums of this issue. Then a few days ago I was in OKC and the big gun store there which has a nice display had one. Of course I had to touch it. Hated it. Once I got it open I could not close it. At all. The guy behind the counter commented that they were going to send it back. I then went to the Benchmade section and grabbed the 761 and OMG what a difference. Opened and closed like greased butter! And $150 less.

No excuse for the Spydie being like that. How in the **** does the guy at the factory who put that together flip that open then use a crowbar to close it and say, "okay,this one is ready."?

I love my Spydies but not being a glassy-eyed fanboy I am not afraid to call out poor quality when I see it.

That's EXACTLY my problem also.

Paying hundreds of $$$ for Spyderco's most expensive knife ever should OPEN AND CLOSE LIKE BUTTER !!

Just annoying that the QC people there just send them all out lke that......I shouldn't have to do ANY MAINTENANCE ON A BRAND NEW KNIFE !!

This is not just a few bad, IT'S A MAJOR QC DEFECT OF ALL OF THEM !!
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

swigert wrote:

Definitely time I send the knife in to Golden and see what they do. Sorry your disappointed. I'm sure it will get figured out. I've never seen Sal and crew not make a situation right.

When EVERYONE is having the same LOCK DEFECT......that is not "jumping to conclusions", it's stating FACT !!

Let Eric respond and tell us that 'HE WAS UNAWARE OF THE FROZEN RIL PROBLEM" after he inspected the first production !!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Range Rover,

I can see your frustration. :( However, I would not readily assume that the sticky lock is a global issue affecting every single Nirvana. The two Nirvanas I held (one at Golden and one at Blade) were both flawless. A few of the K2's that I held had sticky locks, but others did not. I've noticed that a number of RIL and Liner Locks (not only Spydercos) have a tendency to be "sticky" when they are brand new. New knives need time to break in. There are simple ways of fixing a sticky lock.

I personally don't think it is fair to throw the baby out with the bathwater on this issue. In other words, if there is an issue affecting QC, Sal and Eric have always been very forthcoming in rectifying the issue and making it right with their customers. Also, imagine how Sal and Eric will feel when they read your statements? Like Swigert and the others mentioned, take a deep breath. Everything will be okay.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

RangeRover wrote:
swigert wrote:

When EVERYONE is having the same LOCK DEFECT......that is not "jumping to conclusions", it's stating FACT !!

Let Eric respond and tell us that 'HE WAS UNAWARE OF THE FROZEN RIL PROBLEM" after he inspected the first production !!
I don't see the defect you're talking about. I read and watched a lot of opinions on the internet about this issue and every single one talking about it was a little surprised at first but after a more than acceptable break in time the sticky lock seems to go away. I'm still waiting for my Nirvana to arrive, but i'll be more than happy to break it in - i'll go one step further and say i'd rather do it myself properly than having it done in under time and production pressure at the factory.

Anyway - as i asked before - does anyone have any Information or clue whether the lockbar is treated for wear resistance in some way?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I've had some Spyderco framelocks that were sticky at first and have been flawless since. Every single one has not had this issue, I know of several people who said theirs broke in quickly and has been a favorite in their collection. If yours is that bad, return/exchange from where it was purchased from IMHO.