Nirvana Titanium

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
napalmfriday

Re: Nirvana Titanium

Post by napalmfriday »

I'm thoroughly enjoying my Nirvana. I chalked the lock stick up to break in, worked it for a while until it was manageable and now, it's silky smooth and a pleasure to carry!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Speaking of defective, the OP might want to check his keyboard for random caps lock stick. It appears that it's very hard to disengage, resulting in random parts of sentences being capitalized more than normal. Caps lock stick is very common among brand new keyboard warriors, but can easily be solved by applying a little bit of "chill out" and letting that sit for a bit.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

BTG

Post by BTG »

RangeRover wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to help rangerover. He's not here for that. He isn't trying to resolve problems or gather information unless it agrees with his own perceptions. Maybe after the lashing out stage he'll be more receptive.
It's not a "perception" that the knife won't close with SEVERE LOCK OUT !!

Buying something new that doesn't work and expecting that you have to do "maintenance" on it before it does work properly is not "perception".

Here is a very extreme example for your benefit......you buy a new car, take it home, it looks really nice but it doesn't run properly. And then they tell you HOW YOU NEED TO DO A TUNEUP ON IT TO MAKE IT RUN PROPERLY !!

P.S. note the other threads on here asking how to properly apply graphite etc. .......it's NOT JUST AN ISOLATED ISSUE OR "PERCEPTION", like you want to play off.
If you choose to compare to a new car, they all need break in...keep RPM under 3000 for a while, then build up to seat everything correctly...not saying take in and spend more...just break in....I just spent 400 bucks for a Rawlings Primo outfielders glove...came stiff as a board I have to break it in....must be defective.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Oh man.....I sooooo miss the days of playing ball....
I always had a Rawlings glove too....
swigert

Post by swigert »

BTG wrote:
RangeRover wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to help rangerover. He's not here for that. He isn't trying to resolve problems or gather information unless it agrees with his own perceptions. Maybe after the lashing out stage he'll be more receptive.
It's not a "perception" that the knife won't close with SEVERE LOCK OUT !!

Buying something new that doesn't work and expecting that you have to do "maintenance" on it before it does work properly is not "perception".

Here is a very extreme example for your benefit......you buy a new car, take it home, it looks really nice but it doesn't run properly. And then they tell you HOW YOU NEED TO DO A TUNEUP ON IT TO MAKE IT RUN PROPERLY !!

P.S. note the other threads on here asking how to properly apply graphite etc. .......it's NOT JUST AN ISOLATED ISSUE OR "PERCEPTION", like you want to play off.
If you choose to compare to a new car, they all need break in...keep RPM under 3000 for a while, then build up to seat everything correctly...not saying take in and spend more...just break in....I just spent 400 bucks for a Rawlings Primo outfielders glove...came stiff as a board I have to break it in....must be defective.
Interesting analogies. Especially the Baseball glove. Something I can definitely relate to.

Id hope a knife isn't that hard to break in. But I do agree to some level. Id rather have really tight tolerances that will break in perfect for a lifetime of great use and function, that buttery smooth out of the box only to break in and develop blade play that can only be fixed by intense pivot tightening that ruins and fluid motion of the blade.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

If the problem is really bad, it could have been exchanged or returned or sent in for repair. I've had issues with plenty of $400+ knives. On one from another brand, the pivot pin actually snapped from light using flipping around the house (that knife never cut anything).

Having worked for a major auto company, I can tell you that the number of issues experienced right after leaving the lot is fairly high. But vehicles are complex (and costly) whereas knives are not complex - for the most part.
Tom S

Post by Tom S »

I'm a CRK user and abuser as my main EDC. I really do love the design of the Nirvana and have been reading and waiting for a clear sign that it's A-OK to spend $431 on a knife. The last thing I want to do is to have to immediately send it back to Spyderco for repair. Looks like this knife was really not ready for HVM.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Tom S wrote:Looks like this knife was really not ready for HVM.
You do realize that one data point, no matter how loud and obnoxious it may be, is still one data point, correct?
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Cujobob wrote:If the problem is really bad, it could have been exchanged or returned or sent in for repair.
I think it should be clear that he doesn't own a Nirvana or he would have resolved his issue by taking up Eric on his offer. He's simply muckraking and stirring the pot using other anecdotal information gleaned from the internet. He's obviously a miserable person who probably kicks his dog and beats his kids for his own shortcomings. In all caps, of course.
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

No one listens to Canadians !!!
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

How would you like to receive a new expensive RIL that you can't close with two hands, others are having the same problem, and all the bluster is...."just break it in" !!??

And then the crap about, "it's because the knife is made so beautifully made, it's supposed to be that way" !!

I would obviously expect that some online posters are actually Spyderco workers defending their poor workmanship.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Personally, I make things for a living. I'm a scientist/engineer who has worked for manufacturing companies. I engineer systems that hundreds of thousands of people use, either in my company or customers of my company. I'm very aware of how the manufacturing process works and what reasonable expectations are. Your expectations are unreasonable and indicate complete ignorance about product manufacturing. It's not worth anyone's time even engaging with you, which is why I've been so sarcastic and dismissive in this thread.

To top it off, I don't even think you own a Nirvana. Post a pic of your Nirvana with your username written on a piece of paper in the pic or STFU.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

RangeRover wrote:How would you like to receive a new expensive RIL that you can't close with two hands, others are having the same problem, and all the bluster is...."just break it in" !!??

And then the crap about, "it's because the knife is made so beautifully made, it's supposed to be that way" !!

I would obviously expect that some online posters are actually Spyderco workers defending their poor workmanship.
I have bin watching this thread from the beginning now.
Now that i finally have my Nirvana i can reply to it.
First off. The heat is way to high in this thread the members should cool off and think twice before acting ones .

Now to the point a "defective" nirvana is a nightmare for those who really really wanted it badly for so so long!
So i can relate to the steam build up in some members brains. Now as i first said i got mine in today.
With a very little heart i opend the pouch to find this beautyfull knife. And with an even litteler heart i opend it for the first time. And yes freakshow i was not able to close it ! even with 2 hands it took me about 5 times to close it and yes That was a bummer.
But then i followd the advice given here by many members.

First i cleaned it all out and put grafhite on the blade where the lockbar holds.
20 openings later it is easy to close even with my left hand.

Now i really understand youre idea of a 400 dollar knife should be perfect but a little efford never killed anyone. (And even then a production piece is never ever going to be as perfect as one build by hand)
And yes spyderco could do the same little trick before sending them out but then again that would delay the knife even more...
And lets be honest the release time was already way to late.

But non of this all should be deald with in such a negative tone. The Nirvana i a wonderfull knife and one **** of an collection piece. And spyderco really did there very best on this one. Yes many pieces will need some tweeking by the users themselves but for that efford you get a knife never seen before in the production knife world so i would say try to use the tips given here and enjoy youre wonderfull knife because not many will be build i am sure of that!

Now im,going to leave this,topic and enjoy my grail knife some more pics will follow :D
Last edited by apollo on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Every person that I know who owns one loves it and theirs has broken in perfectly. If one is so difficult to operate that it becomes a frustration, send it back or send it in. It's okay to be frustrated, but this has gone beyond a level of frustration. You have options to get this taken care of. Products come in poor working order fairly often, it's not that uncommon for ANY product at any price.

Again, it's okay to be frustrated, but no Spyderco employee wants a product out in less than stellar condition because it hurts their reputation and eventually becomes more work for them.

It is not a widespread problem, them being a bit sticky might be common but others are seeing their knives break in perfectly. If yours isn't, use one of the options available.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

RangeRover,
You have voiced your opinion. We've heard you. Eric himself has responded to you and you have ignored him. Our outlet store has responded to your e-mails.

What is it exactly that you are attempting to accomplish? We understand your frustration and have apologized. Have you sent your knife into Eric as he requested? Until you do and until we receive it here it's difficult for us to resolve any issue for you.

There are multiple reasons that people join our forum. Regardless of their initial reason though an overwhelming majority of people stay and contribute to our community. You've made 20 posts and most are derogatory inflammatory rhetoric. Seems as if there is very little, if anything, that we have ever done to your liking.

Having said all of that... know this, we will listen to you. We will always offer to help you and make every reasonable attempt to resolve issues. However we/I will not tolerate your insulting other members of our forum or our crew. Your accusations are merely that and have no merit. Our crew, all of our crew, are honorable hard-working individuals who take great pride in what they do. They are humans, not machines and yes, sometimes they make mistakes. But, they own any mistake and they work diligently to resolve them. You don't know them and I suspect that were you standing face to face with any of us that your behavior would be considerably different. Perhaps not, but it would seem that your stance is bolstered by the anonymity of the internet (in truth though it's not as anonymous as most people think it is).

You are welcome to your opinion. We've heard you, we've all heard you. Your disappointment, frustration, and/or internet anonymity is not an excuse for poor behavior and insults.

Please send your knife in and we'll evaluate it and make this right.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
RangeRover

Post by RangeRover »

apollo wrote:
RangeRover wrote:How would you like to receive a new expensive RIL that you can't close with two hands, others are having the same problem, and all the bluster is...."just break it in" !!??

I have bin watching this thread from the beginning now.
Now that i finally have my Nirvana i can reply to it.

And with an even litteler heart i opend it for the first time. And yes freakshow i was not able to close it ! even with 2 hands it took me about 5 times to close it and yes That was a bummer.

And yes spyderco could do the same little trick before sending them out but then again that would delay the knife even more...
And lets be honest the release time was already way to late. :D

Yes, it is a beautiful looking knife.

It took me taking the end of a plastic knife to pry open the IRL !!

Plenty of people are having problems, not just me.

Right now Eric is going through all his Nirvana inventory and checking for the severe lockout.

And while he won't admit it, he is saying to himself......WOW, THIS IS A PROBLEM AND WE SHOULD HAVE CHECKED OPENING/CLOSING AND FIXED THEM BEFORE SHIPPING THEM.

Enough said.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Okay...............................
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

RangeRover wrote:
Enough said.
True dat!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?