Spyderco Paramilitary 52100 Carbon Fiber

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wirelessjunkie

Re: Spyderco Paramilitary 52100 Carbon Fiber

Post by wirelessjunkie »

p_atrick wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:11 am
Cycletroll wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:24 pm
Can't believe these are still in stock!
I've seen some comments on places like Reddit where people are interested in this knife, but in the comments there are those who say 52100 is a terrible EDC steel because of corrosion. I get the impression that the people who love 52100 are really into knives. The casual knife person might only hear about the negatives to 52100, which is a shame because I really like this knife.
If you force a patina to deal with potential corrosion issues, then I think its a great EDC steel. It touches up so easy which makes it easy to maintain. I wouldn't use it if I was out on a boat all day, but for most urban chores the carbon steel isn't a detriment.
Raymond3

Post by Raymond3 »

Very happy to have a PM2 52100 in the mail.

BUT, i have two questions that i just haven't been able to find the answer to:

What is the maker of the 52100 that Spyderco sources for these? Specifically, are they made suing Crucibles Particle Metal process, Carpenter's Micro-melt or gen 2 process, or Bohler's gen 3 specs???

And, second: What is the RC of these blades?

Anyone with that information, please let me know.

Thank you.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I would actually like to know the same thing (who is the manufacturer); I think it is Niagara, but I am fairly certain it is not Crucible, and 52100 is not a particle/powder steel. The RC is most likely 62 from what I have read. At any rate, you have chosen a GREAT variant of the PM2, definitely my favorite above all others. Use it happily!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well y’all are killin me. I just ordered one. That makes 4 new Spydies in 2 weeks.
Raymond3

Post by Raymond3 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:34 pm
I would actually like to know the same thing (who is the manufacturer); I think it is Niagara, but I am fairly certain it is not Crucible, and 52100 is not a particle/powder steel. The RC is most likely 62 from what I have read. At any rate, you have chosen a GREAT variant of the PM2, definitely my favorite above all others. Use it happily!
Thank you Jon,

I owned the PM2 a number of variants. Currently in S30V, M4, and my favorite user S110V. The later has been my favorite gift knife (with custom deep pocket carry clip added) to family members for a couple of years. I am very much looking forward to sharpening and using this steel, and have high hopes for it. My favorite straight razors are either 1095 or 52100 or similar older equivalents. It has been while seeking the ultimate sharpness with Str8s that I have run up against the sharpening ceiling caused by the higher carbide content of many of the current steels.

For normal use blades, i am quite content with S110V, 204p, M390, ZDP 189, Hap40 or M4 using only one stone in the 400 to 600 range, followed by stropping on one strop with compound. Those knives quite easily push cut phone book paper, and pop hairs easily. In addition, they still have the toothyness to effectively slice through whatever I use them on. But, for hair splitting, that is a different matter. For me anyway, only some steels, no matter what level of grit I use (down to .005 micron compound) have the ability to consistently slice a single dry thin hair into 4, 5 or more thicknesses, Or, to be able to easily and consistently trim attached hair only at the tips while on the head. That is my hope for the PM in 52100.

After over 50 years of sharpening experience, I could not have even imagined that I would be writing that last paragraph even a couple of years ago. The Internet has provided the tools and challenge to improve my skills far beyond what they were. I am very glad that Spyderco has provided such wonderful steels and knives for us "edge junkies". And, if you are someone who is no longer impressed with terms like "screaming sharp", "phone book paper slicing", "razor sharp", "hair popping", or "mirror" edge, but want to know down to the one thousandths of a micron what the last grit was, then you qualify as an edge junkie. If you are not at ease when one of your edges is only HHT3 and not HHT5. You are an edge junkie. If you have two large tool box drawers with sharpening stones and equipment, and know exactly which stones are best used with different kinds of steel, you also probably qualify. And, certainly, if you almost never use a knife with only a "factory new" edge because you sharpen much better than any factory edge you ever handled, take my word for it, you are also an edge junkie.
Raymond3

Post by Raymond3 »

Or, if you are meticulous about keeping your sharpening stones flattened, you are probably also an edge junkie.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Raymond3 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:34 pm
Thank you Jon,

I owned the PM2 a number of variants. Currently in S30V, M4, and my favorite user S110V. The later has been my favorite gift knife (with custom deep pocket carry clip added) to family members for a couple of years. I am very much looking forward to sharpening and using this steel, and have high hopes for it. My favorite straight razors are either 1095 or 52100 or similar older equivalents. It has been while seeking the ultimate sharpness with Str8s that I have run up against the sharpening ceiling caused by the higher carbide content of many of the current steels.

For normal use blades, i am quite content with S110V, 204p, M390, ZDP 189, Hap40 or M4 using only one stone in the 400 to 600 range, followed by stropping on one strop with compound. Those knives quite easily push cut phone book paper, and pop hairs easily. In addition, they still have the toothyness to effectively slice through whatever I use them on. But, for hair splitting, that is a different matter. For me anyway, only some steels, no matter what level of grit I use (down to .005 micron compound) have the ability to consistently slice a single dry thin hair into 4, 5 or more thicknesses, Or, to be able to easily and consistently trim attached hair only at the tips while on the head. That is my hope for the PM in 52100.

After over 50 years of sharpening experience, I could not have even imagined that I would be writing that last paragraph even a couple of years ago. The Internet has provided the tools and challenge to improve my skills far beyond what they were. I am very glad that Spyderco has provided such wonderful steels and knives for us "edge junkies". And, if you are someone who is no longer impressed with terms like "screaming sharp", "phone book paper slicing", "razor sharp", "hair popping", or "mirror" edge, but want to know down to the one thousandths of a micron what the last grit was, then you qualify as an edge junkie. If you are not at ease when one of your edges is only HHT3 and not HHT5. You are an edge junkie. If you have two large tool box drawers with sharpening stones and equipment, and know exactly which stones are best used with different kinds of steel, you also probably qualify. And, certainly, if you almost never use a knife with only a "factory new" edge because you sharpen much better than any factory edge you ever handled, take my word for it, you are also an edge junkie.
You can definitely count on being able to do all those things that you want to do in your second paragraph with 52100. I should say that I’ve had great results keeping the edge bevel finely finished/polished, not toothy like a high-carbide steel prefers (for ex. S110V). I’m finding the 52100 PM2 so satisfying I almost want to just eat some 52100. Just kidding. But seriously I can only describe the knife as “virtuous” in the Homeric sense lol. And what wonderful fit and finish it has, lord...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Raymond3

Post by Raymond3 »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm

You can definitely count on being able to do all those things that you want to do in your second paragraph with 52100. I should say that I’ve had great results keeping the edge bevel finely finished/polished, not toothy like a high-carbide steel prefers (for ex. S110V). I’m finding the 52100 PM2 so satisfying I almost want to just eat some 52100. Just kidding. But seriously I can only describe the knife as “virtuous” in the Homeric sense lol. And what wonderful fit and finish it has, lord...

OK Jon, you've got me convinced. This week, i ordered two PM2 with 52100. One to use and experiment with (patina, scales, edge, sharpening process etc) (Ok, play with) and the other for the safe.

Maybe I should grab a Mili in 52100 too while they can still be found.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Raymond3 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:18 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm

OK Jon, you've got me convinced. This week, i ordered two PM2 with 52100. One to use and experiment with (patina, scales, edge, sharpening process etc) (Ok, play with) and the other for the safe.

Maybe I should grab a Mili in 52100 too while they can still be found.
Yeah you won’t regret it at all!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Got mine today! It’s a big knife. I promptly put the polished silver clip from my para3 on it and stashed the black one in its box.

JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 pm
Got mine today! It’s a big knife. I promptly put the polished silver clip from my para3 on it and stashed the black one in its box.

And isn’t it about perfect? I actually like the black clip, think it makes for a nice understated look with the cf scales. I also have a matte finish Ti mxg on my cf M4 that matches really well. Enjoy your knife and have fun with that razor edge!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Will be making a strop soon. What are your favorite compounds? This steel shouldn’t need crazy emulsions.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 am
Will be making a strop soon. What are your favorite compounds? This steel shouldn’t need crazy emulsions.

You’re right it should do just fine with green or white compound, but I use 6, 3, and 1 micron dia-paste, got a sampler pack for cheap, and it works great. Razors up with minimal effort and put a beautiful mirror finish on the edge bevel.