SE cutting power

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyder_happy

SE cutting power

Post by spyder_happy »

I have heard that a knife isnt truly your until you cut yourself with it, and I guess my little SE dfly salt proposed today. I simply closed the blade on my middle finger in the knife due to my own negligence. the little guy bit in as I pulled my finger free and cut in about a 1/4th" in. and gave a wierd rotating cut. 4 stitches :D . really hammered home several safety lessions, but also highlights just how efficient the SE pattern is! :spyder:
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
SG89

Re: SE cutting power

Post by SG89 »

Ouch!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sorry to hear that, man. I did the same exact thing many years ago on my right index finger through an accident with my SE Harpy. I cut through at least one tendon and effectively buggered up my large knuckle. :o My index finger is still crooked to this day, lol. I'm glad you injury wasn't too severe. Hope it heals soon.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

SpyderNut wrote:Sorry to hear that, man. I did the same exact thing many years ago on my right index finger through an accident with my SE Harpy. I cut through at least one tendon and effectively buggered up my large knuckle. :o My index finger is still crooked to this day, lol. I'm glad you injury wasn't too severe. Hope it heals soon.
Oof thats rough, and thanks for the good will. I did indeed get lucky not hitting a tendon, and it now fully hurts, so im guessing I still have nerves in there
The list goes on...
Stretch frn ZDP-189
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I've done a lot of dumb things with knives but never closed one on myself. I get that some liner locks can bite you, but a Spyderco? How was your finger in there?
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

zhyla wrote:I've done a lot of dumb things with knives but never closed one on myself. I get that some liner locks can bite you, but a Spyderco? How was your finger in there?
I developed a technique for closing my lockbacks one handed from messing with them for so long, but I suppose it needs refinement :D
The list goes on...
Stretch frn ZDP-189
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spyder_happy,

sorry for your cut. I cut myself once. ;)

sal
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

sal wrote:Hi Spyder_happy,

sorry for your cut. I cut myself once. ;)

sal
Oh, thank you Sal, and yeah I can only imagine!
The list goes on...
Stretch frn ZDP-189
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Some of my worst cuts have been when closing my my knives, especially back locks due to the strong close bias. My Southard got me really bad about a year ago. Most of mine are from being too comfortable with a knife. Ironically, the knives I like to close quickly one handed like compression locks and CBBL locks are the ones I've never cut myself with, it's always liner and back locks that get me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I got into the unfortunate habit of flicking my Caly 3 SE closed, for a while, resulting in any number of small perforations if my forefinger was below the choil :-)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Yeah, serrated Spydercos bite deep...

and they do it often, unfortunately for me :(

But all serrated blades seem to have an unnatrual attraction for my fingers, not only Spydies! :confused:

I wasn't made for SE, it appears
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

yikes im glad it wasnt a hawkbill, could have kept going!
The list goes on...
Stretch frn ZDP-189
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I got liquored up and was goofing around with my sister's Civilian and got bit. Serrated edges HURT more than PE that's for sure.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Spyder blades are made of steel. Blood is iron rich. These guys are not only the sharpest knives on the planet, they are alive :) We've got ourselves living steel in Spyderco knives.

I ALMOST cut myself with the Pacific Salt. I was shearing through an old cardboard box and I didn't realize at the time how sharp and smooth-cutting that edge is, thankfully I missed.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

spyder_happy wrote:yikes im glad it wasnt a hawkbill, could have kept going!
This time it was. (graphic image!). Spyderhawk
► Show Spoiler
kept going...through skin, tendon, muscle and vein...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:Sorry to hear that, man. I did the same exact thing many years ago on my right index finger through an accident with my SE Harpy. I cut through at least one tendon and effectively buggered up my large knuckle. :o My index finger is still crooked to this day, lol. I'm glad you injury wasn't too severe. Hope it heals soon.
Good point "Spydernut">> and don't let any of us lose sight of the fact that these great Spyderco knives are not toys or novelties>> NO!! they are serious and potentially dangerous tools and must be taken very seriously. I cut one of my fingers all the way to the bone about 8 years ago and luckily I was working with an M.D. Doctor who immediately wrapped it and got me medical attention ASAP. Now you can barely see the scar. It was my ZDP-189 Burgundy Caly Jr. model and the Doctor I was working with marveled and said the cut was so precise that it reminded him of a cut made with a scalpel.

And Spyderedged blades could really do some major damage if not used carefully. In my humble opinion anytime you can use a Spyderedged Hawkbill and do "pull cutting" which I deem to be much safer I believe it would be to anyone's advantage IMO.

Spyderedged blades are great for fibrous material like rope and cordage>> they are also great for extremely tough materials like leather and many plastics/polymers. Spyderedged blades are also great for lawn and garden and landscaping jobs IMO.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JD Spydo wrote:
Good point "Spydernut">> and don't let any of us lose sight of the fact that these great Spyderco knives are not toys or novelties>> NO!! they are serious and potentially dangerous tools and must be taken very seriously. I cut one of my fingers all the way to the bone about 8 years ago and luckily I was working with an M.D. Doctor who immediately wrapped it and got me medical attention ASAP. Now you can barely see the scar. It was my ZDP-189 Burgundy Caly Jr. model and the Doctor I was working with marveled and said the cut was so precise that it reminded him of a cut made with a scalpel.

And Spyderedged blades could really do some major damage if not used carefully. In my humble opinion anytime you can use a Spyderedged Hawkbill and do "pull cutting" which I deem to be much safer I believe it would be to anyone's advantage IMO.

Spyderedged blades are great for fibrous material like rope and cordage>> they are also great for extremely tough materials like leather and many plastics/polymers. Spyderedged blades are also great for lawn and garden and landscaping jobs IMO.
I very much agree, JD. Spyderco's serrations are all business and should not be taken lightly. I'm glad to hear that you didn't sustain any significant damage from your encounter with the ZDP Caly Jr. Man, I'll bet that cut smarted a bit too. :o Like most folks here, I've had my share of cuts/slices from other items over years, such from broadheads, razor blades, broken glass, barb wire, etc., etc., but NOTHING comes close to the effective cutting power of a Spyderco SE blade. :eek:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Just because, some pics of the SE Spydies I currently own, and to give a heads up to those who haven't tried one yet

Each has its role and peculiarities, but they all share two things

No rust will ever hurt their steel

And no fiber will ever resist their cutting power

Long live serrated H1!

And let's dream about more future sprints and Salts to come...I have no more fingernails left in the wait for the Jumpmaster 2!

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

I very much agree, JD. Spyderco's serrations are all business and should not be taken lightly. I'm glad to hear that you didn't sustain any significant damage from your encounter with the ZDP Caly Jr. Man, I'll bet that cut smarted a bit too. :o Like most folks here, I've had my share of cuts/slices from other items over years, such from broadheads, razor blades, broken glass, barb wire, etc., etc., but NOTHING comes close to the effective cutting power of a Spyderco SE blade. :eek:
The weird thing I remember about the severe cut finger with that ZDP-189 Burgundy Caly Jr. was that I had it so sharp that it didn't even hurt that much until after the cut was made and air hit the wound :confused: But when I realized how deep the cut was I knew I had to do damage control immediately. Again I thank the Good Lord I had a Medical Doctor right there on the job site. Because that cut was literally pouring blood out of it :eek: .

I'm saying all of that as a comparison>> because I'm certain that a cut with a Spyderedge would have been much worse and far more painful>> I have no doubt about that at all. The two times I've been badly bitten by one of my Spyderedged blades it was very nasty and painful both times. That's one reason I always carry a full Spyderedged folder with me. Because I do believe in the rare case I might have to use a blade for self defense I do believe a Spyderedge would put your attacker in some major pain for sure.

You're so right Spydernut because I have no doubt that a bad accident with a Spyderedge would be terrible. To me it would be like getting bit with a chain saw :eek: Spyderco's PE & SE blades are both excellent tools but again they are tools you must be very careful with and they must be taken seriously.
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

Man, I must be the odd one out, my SE bite didnt hurt until much until the doc jabbed a syringe of local into the cut. hurt a bit the next day. i just felt a bit of pressure, then burn, and finally wetness. last of couse was the 'uh oh' thought before I looked at the cut. Either way this thread just makes me want a SE Tasman and a Jump Master now :D
The list goes on...
Stretch frn ZDP-189