Any Chance of a New Goddard Jr?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Any Chance of a New Goddard Jr?

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder if there is any chance of a new Goddard Jr? I think it would be interesting to have one with polished G-10. Of course, I would never frown on just plain ol' FRN, either.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Re: Any Chance of a New Goddard Jr?

Post by The Deacon »

With Spyderco, you never know. The last Goddard Jr. Sprint sold slowly. but I'm fairly sure the combo edge blade had more than a little to do with that. I think both it and the Baby Goddard Sprint would have done a lot better if they were plain edge, so maybe Spyderco will try again. I'd love to see them in Micarta, but polished G-10 would also work for me, as long as they're kept unlined.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Unlined, PE, and FFG would do the trick for me. I'd also like it to be full screw-together construction instead of pinned. The white Goddard Sprint is a favorite design of mine. Would love to see this happen!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:Unlined, PE, and FFG would do the trick for me. I'd also like it to be full screw-together construction instead of pinned. The white Goddard Sprint is a favorite design of mine. Would love to see this happen!
What he said^
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would love to see any size of Goddars PE, but with original grind.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, the PE is the way to go. I love the old ones with the nice micarta scales. The reason I suggested polished G10 is that it could give a similar look with the layered G-10 (foliage green, anyone?) but without the problems Sal said they had in the past with micarta.
This was a really nice and useful pocket knife and now they are commanding ridiculous prices on the internet.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:With Spyderco, you never know. The last Goddard Jr. Sprint sold slowly. but I'm fairly sure the combo edge blade had more than a little to do with that. I think both it and the Baby Goddard Sprint would have done a lot better if they were plain edge, so maybe Spyderco will try again. I'd love to see them in Micarta, but polished G-10 would also work for me, as long as they're kept unlined.
I just found a picture on the net, from this website, that shows you have a Goddard Jr. in green polished micarta. Very nice. That is the sort of thing I had in mind with the G10.

I would not mind FRN if it had the bi-directional texturing.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:
The Deacon wrote:With Spyderco, you never know. The last Goddard Jr. Sprint sold slowly. but I'm fairly sure the combo edge blade had more than a little to do with that. I think both it and the Baby Goddard Sprint would have done a lot better if they were plain edge, so maybe Spyderco will try again. I'd love to see them in Micarta, but polished G-10 would also work for me, as long as they're kept unlined.
I just found a picture on the net, from this website, that shows you have a Goddard Jr. in green polished micarta. Very nice. That is the sort of thing I had in mind with the G10.

I would not mind FRN if it had the bi-directional texturing.
Have three of the original Goddard Jrs, PE, PS, and SE, plus the white Sprint :)

Problem with FRN is the cost of the mold. For a knife that Spyderco hopes they'll sell 50K or more of, investing $30K to $40K in a mold makes sense. For a Sprint Run, or even a "niche market" production model where sales may never exceed a few thousand, it's just not economically feasible. There's a color of Micarta called "butterscotch" that's my absolute favorite, but I don't think Norplex makes it anymore. Second choice for me would be polished tan G-10, I think they call it "desert sand".
SpyderNut wrote:Unlined, PE, and FFG would do the trick for me. I'd also like it to be full screw-together construction instead of pinned. The white Goddard Sprint is a favorite design of mine. Would love to see this happen!
Screwed-up would be a total deal breaker for me.
Paul
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote:
I understand. I would be quite willing to acquiesce pinned construction if we could at least keep it FFG and unlined G-10 or Micarta scales. ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
I understand. I would be quite willing to acquiesce pinned construction if we could at least keep it FFG and unlined G-10 or Micarta scales. ;)
What's wrong with you Michael? original grind looks much better :)
I never heard complains about cutting abilities either. :) One change I would love to see, in case of Goddrd Jr. blade stock 2 mm instead of 3 mm.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

I would love one. Especially with FFG PE and linerless pinned construction. Maybe with OD or foliage green G10. It's a really nice classic design
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
I never heard complains about cutting abilities either. :) One change I would love to see, in case of Goddrd Jr. blade stock 2 mm instead of 3 mm.
I agree, Roman. HG looks a lot better than FFG on this design, but I'd love to see them CQI it for FFG. ;) Can we maybe shoot for 2.5 mm? :D

bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
I agree, Roman. HG looks a lot better than FFG on this design, but I'd love to see them CQI it for FFG. ;) Can we maybe shoot for 2.5 mm? :D
OK. 2.5 mm will be better for me than 3mm. So we can have compromise.What about grind? Can we have original? Change is not always CQI. Our president proved this :) :D

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The thinner the better, as far as I'm concerned. However, once you go below 2.5mm FFG makes more sense than hollow, at least to me.
Paul
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Would love to see a H1 and\or FRN incarnation.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
OK. 2.5 mm will be better for me than 3mm. So we can have compromise.What about grind? Can we have original? Change is not always CQI. Our president proved this:) :D
Bravo and well said, sir! LOL :D That is the best thing I've heard all day. ;)

Yes, we can compromise on grind if at 2.5 mm. ;) Although, I agree with Paul (below) that sub-2.5 mm is just begging for FFG. :D
The Deacon wrote:The thinner the better, as far as I'm concerned. However, once you go below 2.5mm FFG makes more sense than hollow, at least to me.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Okay, Paul. Now you really have me drooling over those knives. These came out at a time when I needed to be concerned with other things. I did not care for the design of the FRN models (I would if they were like the current Delica FRN). I simply love that Micarta. Polished G10 is stable and it can look like Micarta, well, close enough, if done right.
Though I prefer FFG, hollow grinds are also good, when done well. I know of only two or three companies that do it well and they cut very effectively. As far as the blade thickness, I would not want to go down to 2mm. One of the attractions for me is the blade spine on this knife is stout enough to be a good general use knife and yet small enough to have each and everyday in your pocket. I would be fine without a pocket clip, too (gasp!)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I really would love to see sprints of Goddards of all three sizes, all PE, all micarta or polished G10. Full size with tip up clip position. Jr. and baby without clips. Still prefer original grind. 3mm stock for full size is fine, 2.0 or 2.5 mm for Junior and 2mm for baby.

cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

2 or 2.5mm ffg blade, frn with tip up wire clip. made in usa with s110v.
light weight super mini slicer, a home run. must have.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

clovisc wrote:Would love to see a H1 and\or FRN incarnation.
I would love to see it back in FRN and I think the full size Goddard would (also-) be perfect for an H1/FRN version.