Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill II

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill II

Post by VashHash »

JD I feel like everyone forgets the whale rescue. It's the absolute quintessential fixed blade hawkbill. You just have to provide the handle and grind the tip.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:JD I feel like everyone forgets the whale rescue. It's the absolute quintessential fixed blade hawkbill. You just have to provide the handle and grind the tip.
Yeah you got a point there VASH but in all fairness to most of the others here that are totally unaware of the "Whale Rescue" model it's not really one that you would see in most knife shops and probably very few internet vendors for that matter. Personally I've only ever seen one of them up front and in person so with that being said it's really not a model that anyone is going to put on their "Want List" unless you would be one of the very few people that would actually use the blade for what it's fully intended for.

It's not a fixed blade that I would spend a lot of money to fit a handle for and it's not really a model that I personally would find a lot of practical uses for myself at this particular time. Unless I did a lot of modifications to make it useful for my outdoor ventures. And I'm doubtful if there are many fans of the "whale Rescue" model.

No it's truly a "specialty" model with one sole intended purpose. Not saying I wouldn't welcome the challenge to take one and make it into something I could use on a daily basis but with all the Spyders I personally have on my "want list" and "gotta-have" list it sure wouldn't be anywhere near the top of anything I would even trade for at this time. Albeit I do at some point want to see Spyderco come up with a fixed blade Hawkbill>> and if push comes to shove and it turns out to be the only way to get a Spyderco fixed blade Hawkbill then maybe I'll change my mind at some point and take it on as a project. But it is an interesting model to chat about for sure and I have no doubt that it could be modified for many other uses.
Hannibal Lecter

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear JD,

Interesting that this comes up today - now that my wife and I are volunteering/working with marine life, sea turtles more specifically, I had reason to initiate contact with Kristi Hunter just last week to inquire about how to go about purchasing the Spyderco Whale Rescue blade. The NC Aquarium we volunteer at is kicking around restarting their marine rescue program this fall and could use a couple of them. Worst-case, I would love to pick up an H-1 Spyderhawk for my personal use that I could round over the end on just a bit - for the sort of things I'll be doing I think it could prove incredibly useful.

I hadn't really thought of the Whale Rescue as a "fixed blade hawkbill", though I suppose I should have. It merits further thought. Thanks, VashHash. :)

-----------
Hannibal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear JD,

Interesting that this comes up today - now that my wife and I are volunteering/working with marine life, sea turtles more specifically, I had reason to initiate contact with Kristi Hunter just last week to inquire about how to go about purchasing the Spyderco Whale Rescue blade. The NC Aquarium we volunteer at is kicking around restarting their marine rescue program this fall and could use a couple of them. Worst-case, I would love to pick up an H-1 Spyderhawk for my personal use that I could round over the end on just a bit - for the sort of things I'll be doing I think it could prove incredibly useful.

I hadn't really thought of the Whale Rescue as a "fixed blade hawkbill", though I suppose I should have. It merits further thought. Thanks, VashHash. :)
OK Doctor Lecter maybe you've struck a chord with this "Whale Rescue" model. Maybe I do need to take a serious look at it. I've often been stand-offish concerning most of the "specialty" type Spyders of the past but maybe with some modifications it might just make a great fixed blade Hawkbill.

That's very interesting that you all are into "marine rescue" type operations. With all the trash these "low-lifes" are throwing into the oceans, lakes and rivers I'm sure there are valid reasons for such knives. I can tell you this Doctor Lecter I use my H-1 SE Spyderhawk at least once and sometimes twice a week. I just regret that I didn't get a PE H-1 Spyderhawk as well when they were at one time very easy to come by :( .

That's one of the main reasons I've been wanting to see Spyderco do a fixed blade Hawkbill of some sort. But we also need some upscale versions of Spyderco's past and current Hawkbill models. Hey Doctor Lecter how about one of those "Whale Rescue models with either a G-10 or Carbon Fiber handle? Or just a completely new fixed blade Hawkbill model?

A Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle would just make it a completely different and more agile folder.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

ZrowsN1s wrote:As far as larger hawkbills go, i would love a g10 handled, supersteel, spyderedge, emerson opener hawkbill. (normal handle, not karambit style)
That'd be overkill in all senses. 10 for me, please, but in H1 is good enough for me! :D

I don't know if it's agains the rules here, but anybody knows how/where/at what price can PE H1 Spyderhawks be found? Thanks! (please delete if not allowed, don't want to be against anything or anyone here)
Hannibal Lecter

My Dear Friend,
ThePeacent wrote:I don't know if it's agains the rules here, but anybody knows how/where/at what price can PE H1 Spyderhawks be found? Thanks! (please delete if not allowed, don't want to be against anything or anyone here)
There is one on evilBay right now at $189.99. It's a bummer they have gotten so rare - I myself need to pick one up in SE and am not looking forward to the price tag I will have to pay to obtain it.

----------
Hannibal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:As far as larger hawkbills go, i would love a g10 handled, supersteel, spyderedge, emerson opener hawkbill. (normal handle, not karambit style)
Whether or not it be a Harpy or a resurrected Spyderhawk I don't care>> but a G-10 Hawkbill of a high grade is well overdue IMO. Over the past 10 years or so there has been a cult-like undercurrent that has persisted concerning the desired rebirth of a G-10 Harpy model. And with the resurgence of the G-10 Police model and it's significant success you would think a G-10 Harpy would have been a given even years ago. However with most Hawkbills being on the low end of the sales charts I guess it's going to take a gentle riot of sorts to drop the hint that a G-10 Harpy would not only be much appreciated but I'm absolutely sure that it would catapult the sales of the Harpy model more than ever>> and would probably make for a lot of Hawkbill converts.

Many different working people would desire to own a G-10 handled Harpy and would use one I'm sure of it. How about a black or blue handle for the Spyderedged version and a red or green handle for a plain edge? Or whatever G-10 colors you might desire.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD, question for you on this: If Spyderco were to produce a G10 handled Harpy or a renewed version of the SpyderHawk, would the following be a good design idea, or, not very good, for you and others interested in it?: A G10 handle but with some form of integral bonded-on rubbery grip surface, like strips of Kraton polymer adhered to the G10 handle, to give it that extra grip, or would properly-made G10 have enough grip as is, and the adhering of the Kraton pieces to it could be bad because over time with wear and tear they could fall off or wear away?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

My experience browsing eBay is that if it can fall off or be lost it will. Lots of those handle inserts didn't stay put over the years. Possibly just wrong adhesive or poor process.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Agreed, no rubbery surfaces for me, please.
They are just unreliable in the long run, and can ruin your EDC if used heavily and daily...

PS: On a second note, the Spyderhawks are indeed rarer every time, but $189? I thought they could be found for less than $150 in more than one place... Bummer!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have no doubt the people selling popular brand knives on the bay are following forums to see what's popular. Threads like this are probably driving up prices.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I have no doubt the people selling popular brand knives on the bay are following forums to see what's popular. Threads like this are probably driving up prices.
Oh not necessarily EVIL because I do remember last summer when I launched a thread on the original skeletonized "R" model >> I had two friends both find one at a very decent price IMO.

Now you might have a case with the Spyderhawk model being it's been out of mainline production for at least 3 years now. Yeah it might spike up a bit>> but most of those price spikes are short-lived from what I've always seen. And if a G-10 Harpy or G-10 Spyderhawk do make it to the main line up I don't think any of the past or discontinued models would gain from it at all. If they made with model with a G-10 handle and one of the newer/better blade steels I believe most everyone would lose interest in the original ATS-55, G-10 Harpy and I doubt if it would do the original VG-10 Spyderhawks any significant good for sale prices IMO>> but hey I've eaten crow before and if you're right I'll be the first to admit it :)
osprey

Post by osprey »

I'm on board for a re-release/updated Spyderhawk in PE and SE as well as the Superhawk returning in SE (would love to see Taichung's take on it with a super steel and the nice feeling CF from the Bradley 2)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

osprey wrote:I'm on board for a re-release/updated Spyderhawk in PE and SE as well as the Superhawk returning in SE (would love to see Taichung's take on it with a super steel and the nice feeling CF from the Bradley 2)
Why they didn't offer the Superhawk in full Spyderedge when it was in the main line up has been one of the most confusing things I've ever tried to figure out :confused: especially when all of Spyderco's other popular Hawkbills got at least 75% of their sales from Spyderedged versions??? I love the blade angle of the Superhawk and I just know in my gut that it would be a great performer and excellent companion folder in full Spyderedge.

Also it's high time to at least give the Spyderhawk a Sprint Run in SE & PE both. It's been discontinued for at least 3 years now and the demand has increased considerably>> I'm sure of it.

As far as seeing any of the new Hawkbills with one of the Supersteels>> yeah I would love it>> but I would be highly content to even see them back in H-1, VG-10 or even one of the Crucible steels. Although I do believe it would add an attractive feature to knife aficionados who have yet to own and use a Hawkbill IMO.
Hannibal Lecter

My Dear Friends,

I finally managed to pick up an H-1 Spyderco Spyderhawk PE again with the FRN Yellow handles and am EDC'ing that beast in place of my beloved Tasman Salt for a while. I had actually hoped for an SE version, but I was fortunate to get the PE version at a decent price so I shan't complain.

I had forgotten what a wonderfully nasty knife the Spyderhawk was! While the one I picked up was obviously used, it is razor-sharp and perfect for what I have in mind, as a snorkeling knife and for some of the other salt water activities I might find myself in this fall. I'll still be on the lookout for an SE version of this massive blade, or failing that I'll just pick up a yellow Tasman Salt SE.

I will say that I would love the thoughts of a heavier Spyderhawk with brightly-colored G-10 scales, titanium liners, and H-1 blade and parts. ;)

----------
Hannibal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Friends,

I finally managed to pick up an H-1 Spyderco Spyderhawk PE again with the FRN Yellow handles and am EDC'ing that beast in place of my beloved Tasman Salt for a while.

I will say that I would love the thoughts of a heavier Spyderhawk with brightly-colored G-10 scales, titanium liners, and H-1 blade and parts. ;)
Well congratulations are in order Dr. Lecter >> you've got the only Spyderhawk I don't currently have at this time. However I still have my blue handled PE, VG-10 Spyderhawk which is getting very hard to find now-a-days. And it's about the only Hawkbill out of the Spyderco line up that I haven't obtained yet. I too am anxious to see how the PE Spyderhawk performs in H-1 versus VG-10.

But I'm still wanting to see a completely new Hawkbill model would shake up the main line up. And I would count a G-10 Harpy and/or a G-10 Spyderhawk as a completely new model. Not only a slightly heavier model but something a bit more rigid and durable.
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

I would love to see a revamp to the Harpy. I have always loved mine (have 2).

I have always said I wish it had the handle length of the delica and I wish the handle material could be sexied up a bit. I know its a marine knife however I carry mine as a utility/SD whenever I don't carry a karambit. And truthfully, who really uses the shake key? Reserve those for the salts and ss their handles.

It would be nice if they could offer it in 2 variations- the traditional one with the handle from the delica as well as such but with an emerson wave that didn't take away from the design too much. G-10, Titanium (its a legacy knife...should warrant a sprint run of titanium, matter of fact do a sprint run titanium and carbon fiber (like the sprint caly 3) with the delica size handle and vg-10 damascus...ok, I'm dreaming a bit too much here). If you have a harpy you know how great this knife is...just wish we could get a harpy 2 going with these specs. Like I said, a guy can dream.
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:JD, question for you on this: If Spyderco were to produce a G10 handled Harpy or a renewed version of the SpyderHawk, would the following be a good design idea, or, not very good, for you and others interested in it?: A G10 handle but with some form of integral bonded-on rubbery grip surface, like strips of Kraton polymer adhered to the G10 handle, to give it that extra grip, or would properly-made G10 have enough grip as is, and the adhering of the Kraton pieces to it could be bad because over time with wear and tear they could fall off or wear away?
The only gripe I have against Kraton handles or handle inserts is that every one I've had up to now actually got kind of gummy on me :eek: . I had one of the older Spyderco "PROGRIP" models that had stainless handles with KRATON inserts and I liked it but KRATON has not impressed me a lot as far as endurance and dependability. Whereas G-10 has never failed me and grips well when wet IMO.

Now the concept of what you're saying is a great idea but I would have to do some checking as to what would make a great insert material>> because for me it won't be KRATON again. Now on the other hand my favorite Swiss knife company Klotzli has done some remarkable things with Carbon Fiber and there might be some possibilities there.
Hannibal Lecter

My Dear JD,

Here's a thought for you, old friend - how about a Spyderco H-1 hawkbill with a Snap-It or Remote Release configuration? THAT would be insanely useful for me, ideally in a Snap-It configuration.

----------
Hannibal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear JD,

Here's a thought for you, old friend - how about a Spyderco H-1 hawkbill with a Snap-It or Remote Release configuration? THAT would be insanely useful for me, ideally in a Snap-It configuration.

----------
Hannibal
That's interesting Doctor Lecter because a PE or SE Hawkbill of that size would be somewhat similar to the Karambit style blade >> which has gained a lot of fanfare in the past few years. Now I tend to favor the Remote Release model over the Snap-It for a lot of different reasons>> but again you'll have a "Ford versus Chevy" type argument no matter which model that they would make into a Hawkbill of that size.

I would also want a Spyderedged version of a Remote Release Hawkbill because for what I do it would serve me much better than a PE would. Yeah I think that's a great idea and I bet Spyderco wouldn't have to do a great deal of altering or modifying to make that possible.