Spyderco Sharpmaker vs. Lansky Controlled-Angle Systems

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker vs. Lansky Controlled-Angle Systems

Post by farnorthdan »

ShaneInDenver wrote:I also have the SM and diamond rods along with the Lansky system. I've had the diamond rods on the SM for a few weeks now and they have helped me out a lot and save a bunch of time, but I'm still working on keeping my knife perfectly straight and getting my bevel super even. I'm close, but it's not perfect.

I don't like the Lansky system. I'm probably not using it right, but after reprofiling on the Lansky at 30 degrees it doesn't match the same angle on the SM. I suspect this has to do with how much of the blade is sticking up out of the clamp. Also my Lansky stones are not even anymore, you can feel divots in them and I don't know how to make them flat again.

I would love for my knives to be sharp enough to split hairs, but I find I just lack the technique to get them there. I find it frustrating, because people say you just have to keep practicing. Well, I've been practicing for years now and while I've gotten a little better, I'm still not to where I think I should be. I've watched YouTube videos, I use a sharpie, but still have some knives that are scary sharp and others that can barely cut paper. My fear is that when I practice I'm really just practicing the wrong technique over and over and thus getting the same poor, inconsistent results.

I too have been thinking about picking up a Edge Pro Apex system, but will that really solve my problems? I've spent a good amount of time and money collecting knives, but I still find the sharpening process to be extremely hard and difficult. I find myself questioning the fact that I have really nice knives with amazing steel that I can't sharpen. What's the point of edge retention if I can't put an edge on something?

I'm frustrated and I don't want to give up, I know one day I'll get this sharpening thing figure out. How has everyone here perfected their sharpening skills? I would love all the advice you're willing to give.
This is what I use to resurface my EP stones:
http://www.edgeproinc.com/Sharpening-Ac ... t-p36.html

It works great on the stones I use on my EP and would probably work just fine for the lansky stones, you could also just pick up a piece of glass and some abrasive and get the same results.

As far as investing in a better sharpening system I highly recommend it, I love the SM but much quicker edge manipulation is possible with the EP.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Evil D wrote:... Still, that's one issue out of many that I got sick of fiddling with
I know exactly what you mean, and since I've got the Sharpmaker I hardly ever use the Lansky. I just about only use it for setting the initial bevels, something that it does quite well if you can put up with the fiddle of getting it set correctly. With all subsequent sharpening being done with the Sharpmaker I don't need to worry about repeat consistency with the Lansky. I even think with a bit more practice I could set the bevel on the SM as well, now I have the diamond rods.
---------
Tony S
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I like the Lanksy curved stones for my recurved blades and for my vast collection of karambits...everything else my Sharmpaker and leather deal with just fine. I do want to invest in an Edge Pro....but my SM with diamonds work well thus far.

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

ShaneInDenver wrote:I too have been thinking about picking up a Edge Pro Apex system, but will that really solve my problems? I've spent a good amount of time and money collecting knives, but I still find the sharpening process to be extremely hard and difficult. I find myself questioning the fact that I have really nice knives with amazing steel that I can't sharpen. What's the point of edge retention if I can't put an edge on something?

I'm frustrated and I don't want to give up, I know one day I'll get this sharpening thing figure out. How has everyone here perfected their sharpening skills? I would love all the advice you're willing to give.
Have you ever considered getting somebody to teach you? I'm always amazed at how certain mechanical skills, whether it be playing an instrument or sharpening a knife, can be learned so much quicker when you sit down in person with somebody else who is really good at it.
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

glbpro wrote:
ShaneInDenver wrote:I too have been thinking about picking up a Edge Pro Apex system, but will that really solve my problems? I've spent a good amount of time and money collecting knives, but I still find the sharpening process to be extremely hard and difficult. I find myself questioning the fact that I have really nice knives with amazing steel that I can't sharpen. What's the point of edge retention if I can't put an edge on something?

Have you ever considered getting somebody to teach you? I'm always amazed at how certain mechanical skills, whether it be playing an instrument or sharpening a knife, can be learned so much quicker when you sit down in person with somebody else who is really good at it.
I have. I actually went to the Spyderco Factory Outlet last weekend and brought my Sharpmaker with me. There was a very kind gentleman behind the counter that did give me some good tips and watched my technique. I kept moving my wrist ever so slightly when switching between the left and right stone. He also evaluated my brown stones and we came to the conclusion that they're pretty worn and I replaced those. He recommend having someone watch me while I sharpen and I've been having my girlfriend watch me when she has the time and tell me if I'm leaning the blade.

I did find his tips and advice helpful. Since last weekend I've been practicing on my less expensive knives and I think I'm finally starting to get it, if you will. After posting my frustrations on this thread I came home last night on a mission and finally got my HAP40 Stretch to where I think it should be. Honestly, I don't think I was giving myself enough time, I was expecting faster results and after not achieving those results I would just continue the cycle of frustration. I'm sure I'll start to get faster, just like I've stated to get better at putting an edge on things.

I'm going to keep practicing and not give up on this, because the satisfaction I got last night once my knife was finally sharp was fantastic!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It might help to put a mirror in front of you so you can watch your hand from a different perspective. You may notice that wrist tweak more if you see it from a different angle than you always see it. I just watch the spine of the blade and try to keep it as straight up and down as I can. I also like to sharpen sitting down at my desk so the stones are closer to eye level instead of standing up and looking down on them. The biggest mistake I made early on with the SM was how I held the knife. You won't hold it anywhere close to how you would when cutting something. I usually just pinch grip it between my thumb and index/middle fingers with my hand more to the side of the handle so I can see more of the knife overall. It helps me keep it vertical. Also remember to go easy and let the stones do the work. If you give it too much pressure and try to force a knife sharp you'll just fracture the edge out and make burrs. The sharpest edges I get are when I take my time and do very slow gentle passes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I find standing a little further back as opposed to standing right over the sharpmaker helps. I also find that my kitchen table works better than my kitchen counter because it is a little lower. I will second the comment that light pressure is very important.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have reprofiled on the sharpmaker a lot and in general am very adept at sharpening with the sharpmaker. It is just practice and establishing muscle memory. There is no shortcut to burning neural pathways and establishing muscle memory. You gotta put the time in. Once you get it all dialed in the sharpmaker is a very capable system that can even reprofile knives at multiple angles.

For a courser grit wrap some sandpaper tightly around the rods.

to change angles use a fulcrum. This takes a little practice.

After a while you can go from this...

... to this.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

Evil D wrote:Also remember to go easy and let the stones do the work. If you give it too much pressure and try to force a knife sharp you'll just fracture the edge out and make burrs. The sharpest edges I get are when I take my time and do very slow gentle passes.
I think this was the biggest mistake I was making. I could actually feel a very slight lip on the left side of my blade last night, so I slowed down and took very slow and steady strokes on the diamond rods until I removed the lip. I then went through brown stones to the white stones just like Sal shows in the Sharpmaker video and by time I was done I had a shaving sharp knife!

I'm still getting the hang of things, but I think I had my "ah ha" moment last night and I finally get why people said I just need to keep practicing. As tough as that advice was to hear, it's very true. I'll give that mirror technique a try since I think my girlfriend is getting tried of sitting there watching sharpen knives. Thanks everyone!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think maybe the most important detail with the Sharpmaker is, the more dull your knife is the more it takes to get it sharp again.

I know that sounds like total common sense but it matters so much more when you're dealing with a tool that removes metal at such a slow rate. Keep your knives sharp at all times and even with the most difficult to sharpen steels it only takes a few passes to keep them splitting hairs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

ShaneInDenver wrote:I'm still getting the hang of things, but I think I had my "ah ha" moment last night and I finally get why people said I just need to keep practicing. As tough as that advice was to hear, it's very true. I'll give that mirror technique a try since I think my girlfriend is getting tried of sitting there watching sharpen knives. Thanks everyone!
That's great news! Don't give up!

If your knives are all Spydercos you shouldn't need anything but the Sharpmaker to keep them in tip top condition.

Bruno
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Evil D wrote:I think maybe the most important detail with the Sharpmaker is, the more dull your knife is the more it takes to get it sharp again.

I know that sounds like total common sense but it matters so much more when you're dealing with a tool that removes metal at such a slow rate. Keep your knives sharp at all times and even with the most difficult to sharpen steels it only takes a few passes to keep them splitting hairs.

Yes !

a couple of swipes to take it from "sharp" to "scary sharp" is much faster and easier than lots of swipes to go from "blunt" to "scary sharp"

I keep my knives sharp with the sharp maker, but if they need reprofiling, chips fixing or i want to make a pretty mirrored edge, i get the Edgpro Apex out.

If you love sharp knives, you really owe it to yourself to get a sharp maker for quick touchups (on the fine and ultra fine stones) and light sharpening on the brown stones
And an Edgepro or similar good variable angle system, for the heavy reprofiling, chip repair and scary, mirrored, nutty sharp dead flat polished bevels.