Am I over-thinking this food/knife issue?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ryguy76

Am I over-thinking this food/knife issue?

Post by ryguy76 »

Hi guys,

I have shied away from using any of my folders for food prep as I am apprehensive about the tri-flow oil I've used on a my knives at the pivot and because I'm not sure the cleaning process is worth it. Having said that, the logical side of me thinks that as long as the blade has been cleaned since applying the oil, the blade won't contaminate food as I have only ever oiled it the once. And the cleaning process post food stuff, (slicing apples etc), may only be a matter of wiping the blade down, and not immersing the whole thing and going through the drying process etc.

Can you guys talk some sense into me on this and let me know your routines if you're using your folders in this capacity?

Thanks.
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
Malfeasant

Re: Am I over-thinking this food/knife issue?

Post by Malfeasant »

I haven't found any issue putting a drop of lube in my pivot then using it for food. Being only a single drop or two. It seeps down into the bearings and stays there in my experience not even getting on the blade. If you want to oil your knife without worry of toxic chemicals you can use food safe mineral oil or olive oil. I've used olive oil on some of my knives that aren't rust resistant. Well, the olive oil was put on the blade directly haven't put it on the pivot. I'm thinking it's safe to put there as well. May attract some dirt and dust though.
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I regularly use my folders for on-the-go food prep (fruit etc). The key is to use a long enough blade (3.5 -4 inch) so you don't get food and juices in the pivot, where the oil is. This makes cleanup simple and easy too.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Be careful when you use olive oil, it turns rancid and becomes gummy after a while. It should be ok if you just coat a blade surface that sees frequent use.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Use Vaseline. It is mineral oil and paraffin wax and is not toxic. I put it in my pivot, too. It stays better than plain mineral oil. Old fashioned 3 in 1 oil is okay. I prefer the Vaseline.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you're only lubing the pivot and not the entire blade, you have nothing to worry about. As for clean up if you're only cutting with the blade then just rinse it off and wipe it dry and you're good to go. I guess if you're doing some heavyheavy food prep like cleaning a deer or something like that you may need to clean the pivot but I don't get the pivot dirty just with casual food prep.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tap78

Post by tap78 »

I use a Plain edge Pacific Salt for food prep at work and smometimes at home...
I don't lube the pivot at all and having H1 on board gives You the comfort to clean the knife as often as You want :)

Salts are fantastic knives!
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

ryguy76 wrote:Hi guys,

I have shied away from using any of my folders for food prep as I am apprehensive about the tri-flow oil I've used on a my knives at the pivot and because I'm not sure the cleaning process is worth it. Having said that, the logical side of me thinks that as long as the blade has been cleaned since applying the oil, the blade won't contaminate food as I have only ever oiled it the once. And the cleaning process post food stuff, (slicing apples etc), may only be a matter of wiping the blade down, and not immersing the whole thing and going through the drying process etc.

Can you guys talk some sense into me on this and let me know your routines if you're using your folders in this capacity?

Thanks.
You'll be fine-

Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet for TriFlow lube
http://www.oregoncoastcc.org/wp-content ... ricant.pdf

TLDR?- Here's the snippet that matters: "CHRONIC HEALTH HAZARDS
No ingredient in this product is an IARC, NTP or OSHA listed carcinogen.
Reports have associated repeated and prolonged overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage"

Considering the tiny amount on a pivot of a knife (1 drop- maybe 1ml?) and then only a tiny fraction that might end up in your food....well, you'll get more solvent exposure next time you go to the gas station.

Seriously- as there is no LD50 listed (that's the standard measure of toxicity- a Lethal Dosage for 50% of a population of lab rats) then you're good to go....Like all oil/solvent materials- bathing in it or breathing it a lot (like for 8 hours a day) is what counts as 'prolonged exposure'
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

H1 is your friend here...

water, coffee, yoghourt...

Don't over think it, just do it :D

ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

Yep, I don't plan on oiling the pivots regularly, just if they get sticky, and won't be oiling the blades directly, so should be fine for that aspect, especially judging from the MSDS. (Thanks Demoncase)

Sounds like for the food prep I'd be doing, I can just wipe the blade clean with a soapy cloth, rinse, then towel dry. I'm pretty careful so won't soak the handle and pivot area likely.

Also sounds like I need a Pac Salt. ;)
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think a reground Salt would be a great apple knife :).

Cross-contamination is more likely to make you sick than a little pivot oil, I think. With a long enough blade I think most food processing can be kept away from the pivot.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I think this is overblown. What would happen if you put a drop of oil on your burger and ate it? I think it would take a lot to really harm you. I can't imagine getting milligrams or micrograms of lube from the pivot onto food. For that matter if you oiled the blade and then wiped it off how much could you get on some food? I worked in a garage for 6 years and no telling how much oil/grease/gasoline got onto my food during that time and that was very many years ago.
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

bdblue wrote:I think this is overblown. What would happen if you put a drop of oil on your burger and ate it? I think it would take a lot to really harm you. I can't imagine getting milligrams or micrograms of lube from the pivot onto food. For that matter if you oiled the blade and then wiped it off how much could you get on some food? I worked in a garage for 6 years and no telling how much oil/grease/gasoline got onto my food during that time and that was very many years ago.
The logical side of me completely agrees with you. I'm less concerned with the oil aspect though. The main concern was using the blade for food prep, cleaning it and not getting the water out completely if doing it quickly, then finding I needed to re-lube etc...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ryguy76 wrote:
bdblue wrote:I think this is overblown. What would happen if you put a drop of oil on your burger and ate it? I think it would take a lot to really harm you. I can't imagine getting milligrams or micrograms of lube from the pivot onto food. For that matter if you oiled the blade and then wiped it off how much could you get on some food? I worked in a garage for 6 years and no telling how much oil/grease/gasoline got onto my food during that time and that was very many years ago.
The logical side of me completely agrees with you. I'm less concerned with the oil aspect though. The main concern was using the blade for food prep, cleaning it and not getting the water out completely if doing it quickly, then finding I needed to re-lube etc...
As long as you use compressed air (like from an air compressor) on the pivot after washing, you should be just fine. FWIW, I agree with bdblue also regarding trace amounts of oil in the food. My father made numerous PB&J sandwiches for us kids when we were little using his trusty old Victorinox folder--and that blade only received a cursory swipe on his jeans to be deemed "clean" enough for food prep ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderNut wrote:My father made numerous PB&J sandwiches for us kids when we were little using his trusty old Victorinox folder--and that blade only received a cursory swipe on his jeans to be deemed "clean" enough for food prep ;)
Ha! That's usually what I do. Serves as a strop at the same time. :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

My mother worked in a behavioral medical center, there was a guy that came in and drank a couple quarts of motor oil. He was just fine... Not sure mentally (before drinking the oil). Nonetheless he wasn't facing any terminal results of ingesting oil..
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?