Moran Knives: I'm considering one: Thoughts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Moran Knives: I'm considering one: Thoughts?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am considering getting a Spyderco Moran fixed blade, either upswept or drop point. What should I expect from one of these? How could I go wrong? Designed by Spyderco and Bill Moran, the best materials: VG10 and Kraton etc. Would you all recommend this?
clovisc

Re: Moran Knives: I'm considering one: Thoughts?

Post by clovisc »

I definitely would recommend it. One of the best EDC fixed blades out there. As you point out, Spyderco + Moran + VG10 = all the right stuff. Great sheath, too, which positions the knife right where you need it.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Looking through old catalogs this one has been around a looooooong time but never gets much talk. Must sell well though.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I wanted a Moran a few years ago, but was disappointed to see how short the handle was when I saw it in person.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I really like my Moran's. I feel they are a solid value for the price. Good slicer, though not really a knife you want to "abuse" or try to baton through bricks with. Some people are bothered that it isn't full tang, but that just doesn't bother me. The handle feels comfortable to me. Are there other Spyderco fixed blades I like even more? Sure, but they cost more too.

*Most* of my use of fixed blades is whittling wood, fire prep etc., I don't do a whole lot of food prep or cooking.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

IIRC and please correct me if I'm wrong, the "upswept" was the original Spyderco Moran introduced somewhere around 1995. As soon as I saw it I bought two as primary hunting knives, one of which has served me in the field in outstanding fashion.

I'd normally have passed it by due to how high the point is positioned, but its pointy enough overall and the blade thin enough to ameliorate that characteristic in a general purpose hunting knife. Of course its an excellent skinner.

After searching and studying my options, I plan to eventually pick up the drop point as a lightish pack knife for hiking.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you all for your views on this. A second question: I like the upswept shape but I also like the drop point. The stats on the Spyderco catalog show both to be three millimeters thick, so they are equally thick in cross-section. Which do you think has the stronger overall profile, as long as it is not abused or stressed beyond reasonable use?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you do not do a lot of skinning, get the drop point.
This knife was tested favorably by the military. I do not think you could go wrong in this choice. Mora knives, so loved by the bushcrafting crowd, have a partial tang like the Moran does. Plus, this is a perfect hiking/back packing knife as it is so light in weight.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

This explains why I bought the drop point.

My cousin, an avid hunter, used it to process a deer and was impressed.

Mine stays in a soft case with my rifle.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Duplicate post.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:This explains why I bought the drop point.

Nice grade II. What caliber is it?

How has that Moran held up for you? It looks almost new, but that might have been the original photo from before.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

30-06, the only caliber available when they first came out in 1965. The Moran was photographed when it was new, has only been used one time and still looks good.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Mad Mac wrote:This explains why I bought the drop point.

Always wanted a BAR, never got around to acquiring one. 30-06 otoh...every bolt action hunting rifle I've owned from first to last has been in 30-06, and not always as first choice.

Sorry but the non-functional Spydie hole in a working fixed blade just doesn't make sense, and really sucks from a users POV. I love Spyderco, but then again I'm not going to pull a red hot brand out of the fire and burn Spyderco on my butt. Its a gimmick on a knife that doesn't need gimmicks. I hope Spyderco eventually rethinks this.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned and used both the Spyderco "Moran" fixed blades but my all time favorite is the TEMPERANCE 1 model that I've used for years. The TEMP 1 was also available in full Spyderedge and as far as I know they never made the Moran available in full SE :(

Also I find that the handle on the Moran is not as ergonomic as the one on the TEMP 1 model. But even with that being said you can't go wrong with any of Spyderco's fine fixed blades IMO. I would go for the Moran with the orange handle If I were in the market for one.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Paracord could be laced through the Spyder hole to securely lash a Moran to a staff
and make a spear for the Zombie Apocalypse to come.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

The moran is one knife I would like to see in different steels. It seems to be a great seller and Moran wanted to use top tier steels, which VG10 was at the time. Why not bring it out in an S90V or even K390 variety?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have mentioned before that I would be interested in a version of this with an upgraded steel. I already have a handful of fixed blades for processing game and if I bought the Moran that would be it's purpose. The drop point looks ideal for field dressing deer for me. A HAP40 drop point Moran with an orange handle would be an easy purchase for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?