Sailing: Spyderco Finishes First in Race to Alaska

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

Sailing: Spyderco Finishes First in Race to Alaska

Post by clovisc »

The annual "Race to Alaska" is an 750 mile unpowered boat race from Port Townsend, Washington to Ketchikan, Alaska. http://www.r2ak.com

I live in Ketchikan, and am down in Port Townsend quite a bit for work, so this event is naturally of great interest to me!

This morning around 7.30am, Team Mad Dog arrived in first-place in a 3-man catamaran, concluding a journey which they made in only 5 days. I was there to welcome them as the President of our local Chamber of Commerce.

I noticed a Spyderco Pacific Salt clipped to the first guy off the boat, who rang the bell, signaling victory.

Very cool event! Still a lot of good teams working their way north, including rowers! (!!!!)
R2AK.jpg
SpyderNut

Re: Sailing: Spyderco Finishes First in Race to Alaska

Post by SpyderNut »

That is awesome! I love reading stories like this. Thanks for sharing with us. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Yeah, super cool! Congrats!!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Awesome!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
swigert

Post by swigert »

Awesome! I bet they weren't they only ones with a salt series knife.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

How awesome is that, and what a beautiful trip that must have been, the inside passage is beyond epic.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
remnar

Post by remnar »

Cool story! Love the pic. :)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Correction -- finish time was 3 days, 20 hours.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for sharing. I envy the folks that made and are still making the trip -- sounds like a fantastic experience.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

"A rough day at sea is better than any day at the office!"
Sailor's code #75

Awesome event and congrats to the winners!
QM on the S/Y Modesty under Captain T.
sal

Post by sal »

When they first announced the race, there was a lot of speculation as to what type of boat would be the best. Estimated time to finish was 2 - 3 weeks. Last years Farrier Trimaran won in a much faster time and this years winner was faster still.

Spyderco and Sage Marine (a subsidiary of Spyderco) are sponsors for the race. Each contestant has an engraved R2AK Pacific Salt.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Very nice. I knew Spyderco was into sailing but had no idea about this race. That is a beautiful area, up there.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

sal wrote:
Spyderco and Sage Marine (a subsidiary of Spyderco) are sponsors for the race. Each contestant has an engraved R2AK Pacific Salt.

sal
Sweet!!! I am sure it was one of the R2AK Pacifics. Now I have another reason to love the race!
tangent

Post by tangent »

sal wrote:When they first announced the race, there was a lot of speculation as to what type of boat would be the best. Estimated time to finish was 2 - 3 weeks. Last years Farrier Trimaran won in a much faster time and this years winner was faster still.

sal
Just out of curiosity...are those engraved R2AK Pac Salts serrated or plain edge?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Cool event. The story was on the front page of yesterday's paper because they started at Port Townsend, about twenty miles from me. I'll try to watch the first part next year, either from near Port Townsend or Victoria.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

It is very cool that Sal and company have been very much into designing seaworthy sailing knives and tools.