Manix titanium ball bearing cage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Re: Manix titanium ball bearing cage

Post by ferider »

Elshauno wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:52 am
Did you add the extra screw near the clip holes? That's one of the reasons I want a XL because it seems more sturdy like that
Yes, all my G10 or CF Manix 2 get an additional standoff in the back :) Easy enough with Manix 2 sprints as the sceletonized liner has a hole in the right place. Like this:

Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

ferider wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:16 am

Yes, all my G10 or CF Manix 2 get an additional standoff in the back :) Easy enough with Manix 2 sprints as the sceletonized liner has a hole in the right place. Like this:

That's awesome, i think i remember your pic of the DLT exclusive with that extra screw.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Interesting to see some aftermarket cages out there. I've been making cages for a little while but haven't been selling them since the cage is protected by a Spyderco patent (until 2023, I think?). I wonder how they're getting around that?

Just did the first brass version, it polishes up really nicely and gives very smooth operation:

awa54

Post by awa54 »

So I've had mine installed in the KC CF/CruWear exclusive for a few weeks now and it's not really an improvement on the black polymer original in any way that makes a difference to me... it's a bit easier to grip, but I've never had issues manipulating the Manix lock, it's definitely swankier, but then the Manix really isn't a gentleman's knife and finally, it's not quite as smooth as the cheap hunk of injection molded plastic it replaced, it feels like I have to pull it back a bit farther and harder to get the blade to unlock, it's subtle, but it's there.

I'm wondering if the brass and copper versions are a bit smoother?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ferider

Post by ferider »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:16 pm
Interesting to see some aftermarket cages out there. I've been making cages for a little while but haven't been selling them since the cage is protected by a Spyderco patent (until 2023, I think?). I wonder how they're getting around that?

Just did the first brass version, it polishes up really nicely and gives very smooth operation:

Looks great, Zhyla !

I read the patent (US patent 8,745,878). As far as I understand it claims entire knives with CBBL, not CBBL replacement parts. But I'm not a lawyer.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Has anyone seen any difference in smoothness with different balls?
ferider

Post by ferider »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:15 am
Has anyone seen any difference in smoothness with different balls?
While upgrading a couple of my knives to Ti cages, I've switched to ceramic balls too, Tom. Besides finally being able to fix the lock-stick on my XL above, the ball doesn't seem to make much difference. Not sure what it will do in the long term.
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

So I got a couple more cages in. These are glow in the dark. I got one blue and one green. I did have to work on them a bit to make them work. One the hole to accept the ball was too small. And the other issue was the corners were too square. It prevented the knife from locking up completely leaving in some blade play. I took a drill bit to make the ball fit and the corners were sanded to match the liner shape.
kirilpetkov

Post by kirilpetkov »

werm000

Post by werm000 »

So you find the titanium ball cage to feel a little sticky and not as smooth as the stock one? I'm kind of disappointed with the feel even though I like the look.

I think it has to do with the Titanium rubbing on the steel.
kirilpetkov wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:19 am
https://youtu.be/fg-i4Iv6H-U