52100 performance thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

52100 performance thread

Post by Surfingringo »

So I don't have any of this steel (thought I do have a MT 1 on the way) but I am interested in what you guys are learning about performance. How does it sharpen, what type of edge will it take, how does it perform with different edge geometries, edge retention, etc. There has been some talk of these things on the other threads but I thought it would be interesting to have a thread devoted purely to performance. So fire away. :)
Ankerson

Re: 52100 performance thread

Post by Ankerson »

Not sure what Spyderco does, but I have has a few blades in 52100 over the years and it sharpens up pretty easy and will take a nice edge.

Never tested it for edge retention formally as the knives I had were too thick to test.

I really like 52100 and A2 for the simpler steels.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It sharpens quite easy to a high level of sharpness, very good edge stability and good edge retention.It's a great working steel with one condition: to be hardened above 61 HRC.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I think the nice thing about this thread is that everyone is using the same knife: a millie. The geometry is important and I think that gets overlooked often. I know that's what the mule team project is for, but it's a lot easier to carry and use a folder (for some it might be the only legal option).
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

tvenuto wrote:I think the nice thing about this thread is that everyone is using the same knife: a millie. The geometry is important and I think that gets overlooked often. I know that's what the mule team project is for, but it's a lot easier to carry and use a folder (for some it might be the only legal option).
I think you make a good point. One reason I never really got into the Mules is they were fixed blades without handles. I do not want to make or buy handles and I do not really want a ton of fixed blades.

It would be interesting to start a Mule project on a FRN Delica or Endura so one could have a folder to compare steels.

So far I have only used the 52100 Millie for mundane stuff like food prep and opening boxes. So far so good. I have washed mine after each use and have no Patina and no signs of corrosion. I have also put a light coating of oil on my blade a couple of times.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea it is actually illegal for me to carry a concealed fixed blade where I live, so short of wearing it around my neck, "concealed" is far too ambiguous for me to bother with carrying one outside the house.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Mine sharpens up really easily. When I initially reground it with natural stones it was a bit more abrasion resistant than I anticipated. But my diamond stone readily removed metal. It has a slight straw colored patina started in a few areas where I cut smoked gouda. Sort of surprised that cheese caused it haha.

I am curious to know the final Rockwell hardness.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Archimedes wrote: It would be interesting to start a Mule project on a FRN Delica or Endura so one could have a folder to compare steels.
The Endura line has a pretty good collection of steels.

Gin-1 / G2
AUS8
ATS-55
VG-10 / DAMASCUS
ZDP-189
H-1
SUPER BLUE
HAP40
(did I miss any ?)

I wish we could get an Endura in 52100.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

shunsui wrote:
Archimedes wrote: It would be interesting to start a Mule project on a FRN Delica or Endura so one could have a folder to compare steels.
The Endura line has a pretty good collection of steels.

Gin-1 / G2
AUS8
ATS-55
VG-10 / DAMASCUS
ZDP-189
H-1
SUPER BLUE
HAP40
(did I miss any ?)

I wish we could get an Endura in 52100.
That's what I was thinking, then I thought of the problem of using American steels in Japan. So here's the solution:

1) Use the Endura for the Japanese steel folding mule.

2) Use the Military for the US steel folding mule. :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

I would prefer something more regularly legal in the 3.5" range. We have seen a ton of steels with the PM2 already, though. The limited nature of these knives is what causes the greatest problem. Heck, look how many people on the forum stated they'd be grabbing two of this run. So you have 1000 knives produced, a certain percentage at $209, another group around $250, then some places selling for full MSRP. Realistically, if you want one at a fair price you'd better be quick. This hasn't been an issue with the mule team since it's sold directly through Spyderco.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

This is just dreaming and as little off topic ;) but it sure would be nice if Spyderco could bring out a line of the inexpensive liner lock Enduras and Delicas that were mentioned in Amsterdam and use one or both for small run steel testing and test marketing. They were mentioned in Wouter's thread where Sal reminded us that unfortunately many of the knives mentioned might not make it to the marketing stage.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

In the spirit of the mule team project, I would vote that a folding mule be done in a simple and inexpensive platform. The frn UKPK is the obvious choice to me. Yeah, I know, I like locks too, but if I am buying a folder for the express purpose of trying out the steel then I don't want to spend $200 a pop. I know too that, though I would prefer a lock, I could do everything I needed to with a slip joint in order to learn about the steel. The UKPK would be a very simple and inexpensive way to try out new steels in a folding platform.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What can we learn from a comparison of this steel with one we already know?
http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0

Lance, I agree that a cheaper knife in such steels would be a great way to test them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

If they do an American-made mule, it'll be a Native. I don't know why they'd go with anything more expensive, and I don't see any cheaper Golden models being used. I suppose it could be the UKPK but I'd bet on a locking knife.
Now, what I could really see is using the Tenacious(or its kin) or one of the Byrds as the mule platform. I don't know if the cost savings would be offset by sending the steel over to China, but if it isn't, that seems like a better option.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Funny enough, the Manix 2 LW costs less (MSRP $135.95) than the Native 5 LW (MSRP $139,95)...

For a test platform I would take the full length grip and larger blade of the Manix... If cost was the only concern I agree with the UKPK.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I think the Native 5 LW would be a great platform for a folding mule concept. Short enough to be legal in most jurisdictions, great ergos and a full size grip if you use the choil and reasonably inexpensive. Shorter blade might make it easier to get enough steel for a good run.

From my experience, the Native 5 is a great performing cutter. I have done side by side comparisons with the N5 and some of the other spyderco models; PM2, Military, Manix 2 and GB1 to name a few. I tstarted with the same sharpness and test media and would do some cuts with one knife then immediately do the same cuts with the next one to get a kind of instant performance comparison between different models. For me the Native 5 consistently outshined the other models by a long shot in direct comparisons. That's just one reason I think it would be a good folding mule candidate.

The Manix 2 LW would be a great candidate for all the reasons listed above and may be preferred over the N5 since it has a larger blade that I think would be better suited for some of the cut testing that Ankerson and others like to do. Come to think of it, the Manix 2 blade is quite similar to that of the mule blades.
Image(as seen on google, not my photo)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Decided not to pick one of these up (cost versus other expenses, and no real need for another millie when I have a Cruwear and S90V that don't get carried much). That being said looking forward to reports on this steel and how it performs.

What a fantastic time to be a fan of spyderco knives.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I would take either the Native 5 or Manix LW or regular for a folding mule series.
2011BLDR

Post by 2011BLDR »

I am fine with the current status of the Military and Manix2 being the folding mules.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The folding Mule idea has come up many times. Sal has said that if it did somehow happen that it would NOT be a locking knife. Spyderco does not want the liability of people fitting their own locks. For this reason the UKPK is the most viable option.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?