For someone who used to hate carbon fiber...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

For someone who used to hate carbon fiber...

Post by SG89 »

... I sure love it now. Here's my latest get- Sage 1. Been wanting one for a while, got a great deal on a slightly used one. This knife deploys lightning fast and the ergos are great :D
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Cujobob

Re: For someone who used to hate carbon fiber...

Post by Cujobob »

Sweet grab! I love carbon fiber because G-10 loses its grip and just looks ugly over time where as CF looks better and is super light. The G-10 laminate CF is nice, too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Very nice! I have the 2,3 and 4 but am still lacking the 1. I still don't like CF but I am more accepting of it than I used to be. I think I have three CF knives now. They were three I just couldn't pass up.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well done! That does appear to be in excellent shape. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you like CF previously?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gotta love the Sage 1! We'really heading to Blue Goose for a Margarita. I always have trouble deciding which knife to carry. I was going to throw the Chap in my pocket but this thread changed my mind. Sage 1 it is! :) :spyder:
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:Well done! That does appear to be in excellent shape. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you like CF previously?
Honestly just did not like the color/pattern but once you see it in real life it changes your mind.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Awesome spydergirl! I love my Sage 1 I just acquired one also. Yes it's laminate but I like it more then the real deal solid through and through carbon fiber!! Sweet score!!
Josh
sal

Post by sal »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Well done! That does appear to be in excellent shape. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you like CF previously?
Honestly just did not like the color/pattern but once you see it in real life it changes your mind.
Lotta things in life like that ;)

sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Good job Spydergirl88!
I love Spydie CF....
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

Congrats. The beauty of carbon fiber never shines completely through in pictures. Gotta have it in hand and in 3D.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I was late getting any Taichung CF knives but finally got the Sage 3 and Chaparral and they're great -- flawless construction and operation as smooth as silk.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Cujobob wrote:Sweet grab! I love carbon fiber because G-10 loses its grip and just looks ugly over time where as CF looks better and is super light. The G-10 laminate CF is nice, too.
Hey Bob, have you tried using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean G-10 and restore its grip?

The hybrid CF on the Sage 1 is pretty awesome. Some give it a bad rap because it has textured G-10 under it, but I like the texture and I don't have anything against G-10.

You gotta try the Sage 3. :) It doesn't have the texture, it's more flat, but it has a hair of roughness, similar to the feel of paper.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Love that carbon fiber. I like the solid even more. It is so light weight and strong, and if it is done right, has a 3D look to it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I never hated CF, but always thought that it is not worth the money in scales application. Still think the same way. I would take polished micarta of polished G10 over CF any day.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Nice knife find. Question about the carbon fiber: Can it delaminate and break down over time or not likely?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's one of my favorite styles of CF. I do wish it wasn't a laminate but it's still cool looking. I'm also quite fond of peel ply.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Nice knife find. Question about the carbon fiber: Can it delaminate and break down over time or not likely?
I'm not sure about delamination, but I've read and observed different levels of quality with carbon fiber. The lower quality CF (less expensive) has the potential to carry unsightly voids, whereas the higher-end CF (more expensive) is very solid through and through, as Eric referenced on the CF used on the new Mamba. There are other types and styles of CF too (e.g. marbled CF, small weave, large weave, etc.).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

I love the looks of the Spyderco CF scales, I just can't usually afford them. I'm still waiting to find a good deal on a used Sage 3 and Positron.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Is the carbon fiber laminate on the gayle bradley 2 just like the Sage 1 with the twill woven effect and feel?
Josh
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Carbon fiber is one of my favorite materials for the handle scales... it comes with different variants...

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear