Looks like the Chinook 4 bouta drop

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Looks like the Chinook 4 bouta drop

Post by RamZar »

My Chinook II from September 2005 is a back lock made in Golden with S30V and G-10. It's a beefy 6.11 ounces.

This upcoming one is a must. Lighter and slimmer with PowerLock no less, same S30V but made in Japan (probably due to the lock).

Sounds like an ETA of first-half 2017.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Just received my first Chinook this week. Love the beastly little thing so far.

It has me excited for the Chinook 4 too.

I am curious though as to how much the 4 will end up costing. Lots of people balk at the price for G10 and VG-10, I can't imagine that adding S30v isn't going to raise the price even higher.

I won't mind, as is I'm still happy paying for VG-10 on the likes of my Police 3, but many people arent.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
vivi

Post by vivi »

These look pretty nice, kind of flew under the radar. Gonna keep an eye out for them, looks like something I'll end up buying.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Any news on this one? I was hoping I would have my hands on one or two of these by now.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Any news on the ETA for these?
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

twinboysdad wrote:Chinook 4...holy wow

http://knifenewsroom.com/2016/06/video- ... chinook-4/
Not sure I'll be going for the chinook 4 :(
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Any sighting's of the Chinook4 at Blade 2017? :confused:
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Chinook3 wrote:Any sighting's of the Chinook4 at Blade 2017? :confused:
They had it in Oregon so I would think it's there at blade show.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
They had it in Oregon so I would think it's there at blade show.
Thank you!! :D
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

It was at BLADE, but in the Prototype case so no pics allowed.

Probably my favorite variation since the original, and in some ways better. I have no need for a folder that size, but I'm wanting it.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Halfneck wrote:
It was at BLADE, but in the Prototype case so no pics allowed.

Probably my favorite variation since the original, and in some ways better. I have no need for a folder that size, but I'm wanting it.
Awesome! and thanks for the heads up :) Any day now I guess :p

I think my favorite also, but have to get the knife in hand for the final verdict. Thanks again & VERY excited for the Chinook 4 model to drop, thank you Spyderco Crew!! :spyder:
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I hope this one drops soon. Been waiting a very long time for a new Chinook. The Police 4 should be dropping any day, and last reports are the ATR 2 won't be too far behind. Hopefully this one is not too far off now.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Never bought a Chinook in the past but this one definitely has my attention. Plan to grab one once they hit my favorite knife shop.
twinboysdad wrote:Please, please do NOT be S30V...
Why? What's wrong with the performance of S30V?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi wrote:Never bought a Chinook in the past but this one definitely has my attention. Plan to grab one once they hit my favorite knife shop.
twinboysdad wrote:Please, please do NOT be S30V...
Why? What's wrong with the performance of S30V?
Truthfully nothing, just gets boring.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Call me crazy but I wouldn't pass up on a design I like because it comes with a perfectly functional steel :D
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

I think I'm gonna buy two of these....

Do we have a pulse?

Anybody?..
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I've got it on pre-order, and every week I get a nice email telling me to hold my horses. I got my regular email this week. Hopefully someone more in the know will chime in. I'm with you, and will probably buy a second. I don't see any other way really. Try to get a spare in 2027!
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

KingRat wrote:I've got it on pre-order, and every week I get a nice email telling me to hold my horses. I got my regular email this week. Hopefully someone more in the know will chime in. I'm with you, and will probably buy a second. I don't see any other way really. Try to get a spare in 2027!
I get that same email. I complain but in reality it's fun! :)
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

I've been following this progress from the first announcements of the IV coming to be, projected catalog appearance and through talking about her with the good folks over time at SFO. I expect to see a release before years' end. I'll likewise aim to pre-order -- good advice there. ;)

I took a pass on the Chinook III as I'd settled for seven iterations from the early VG-10 test pieces and variances of models I and II. This one is a large specimen, and is more than a bit light lacking preferred full SS liners, but I expect adequate balance as the less massive FFG blade would likely throw the balance off if it was constructed with full liners -- once again, I'm not primarily a fan of FFG, as in the III. I project in making the exception with the IV, however.

As I'm not COMPLETELY averse to FFG, I am reminded that the FFG blades I have in other Spydercos
perform better than not -- I will have to decide if this blade profile can come anywhere near my cherished hollow ground I and II pieces in practicality, strength, performance, and in overall character.

What I do find intriguing is the blade length, and in particular getting to know first-hand the Power-Lock. For me, these are among the 'deal-maker' characteristics. This one I'll likely pick up sooner than later and the SFO projected price is do-able; substantially less than MSRP and a scant 25 minute drive to the front range Colorado mountains nestling Spyderco HQ to check her out again more thoroughly once released.

From what I have gleaned and without a catalog handy (I go to Golden to pick them up, and almost always wind up donating mine to friends before replenishing), the blade is 4.125'' +/- and the weight is around 5.5 oz., as compared to the lauded Chinook I which tips the scales at just under a half pound of brawn. I wish to state my preference for the more massive construction as the Chinook I especially, and personally consider it a high priority to wield a more substantial mass being MBC as these constructs to me would dictate. Bear in mind the blade length laws on the Colo. books; as it stands now the legal limit remains at 3.5 " (but the other Chinook blades are 3.75'' in length and are a sound exception I make to my EDC).
Being a big guy I'm looking forward to see how the blade maneuvers, as I'm sensing downplay of the Chinook IV as a dedicated MBC knife. The size and placement of the clip is going to be of interest as it is integral to the clearance of the knife overall when modifying grip positions single handedly as smoothly as possible and in an unobstructed facilitation.

The favorites of the house will always be the three VG-10 Chinook I test pieces among the greater Chinook collection to date.

The IV has a lot to live up to.
In gaining possession I'm optimistically looking fwd to doing a thorough review once I can spend adequate time with it. ;)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:spyder: :spyder: Stay Sharp --
-- SB / BRUCE :cool: :cool: