Yo2 sticky lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Re: Yo2 sticky lock

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

double
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Sully wrote:
You asked for help. Got generous help. Then got inexplicably testy about it, offended even. Seems only you got "butt hurt." BTW, try some lube. :D

Others, myself included, learn from the advice in random threads. Appreciate anyone taking the time to share their thoughts and ideas, regardless if I already know the helpful hints suggested. Perhaps you were just having a bad day. If so, hope things are looking up for you (and your Yo2) today. :)
There was no generous help from Spydernut. In fact, there was fancy footwork by him just so he didn't have to accept that he was wrong in saying that graphite was not a lube.

Are we all done yet?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I think the problem here is a matter of semantics. "Lube" in colloquial use usually implies a liquid, or something similar like a gel. Something like Nano-Oil or Tuf-Glide or what have you. Spydernut was using "lube" in that sense, and if so he'd be right, graphite, being dry, isn't that kind of "lube". Chuck, you were using "lube" as short for "lubricant", which, without further specificity, includes dry and wet lubricants. This is technically correct, and I think this is just a misunderstanding caused by ambiguous language and impatience.
Let's all try to be civil here. :D
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

dplafoll wrote:I think the problem here is a matter of semantics. "Lube" in colloquial use usually implies a liquid, or something similar like a gel. Something like Nano-Oil or Tuf-Glide or what have you. Spydernut was using "lube" in that sense, and if so he'd be right, graphite, being dry, isn't that kind of "lube". Chuck, you were using "lube" as short for "lubricant", which, without further specificity, includes dry and wet lubricants. This is technically correct, and I think this is just a misunderstanding caused by ambiguous language and impatience.
Let's all try to be civil here. :D
Not at all. First, a lube is a substance that reduces friction. Second, I already said that I did not desire such a solution.

I like to be precise with language and descriptions. I don't like wrong info. If I am presented with evidence, or at least literature, that proves my that info or opinion is wrong, I would gladly give way to more accurate info. I expect other to do so as well.

Additionally, the "discussion" between me and Spydernut was concluded some pages ago. Except that some "white knights" feel obligated to ride in and save the day.

If anybody feels that I'm too much for their sensibilities, I don't mind being on their ignore list.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

#2 pencil lead is a mix of materials. One is a very fine abrasive (clay) and another is a dry lubricant (graphite). This is well known.

It is also known that rubbing steel across a fine abrasive in the presence of a lubricant polishes the steel.

High grit natural water stones are essentially sintered clay. They work better when lubricated with water. Novaculite works well lubricated with oil.

After polishing steel with fine abrasive plus lubricant, the steel is in a different condition from when you started polishing. Removing the polishing media does not cause the steel to revert immediately to its prior condition. Voilá!
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

Woah, most heated thread I've seen yet here at spyderco and I went to off-topic section to discuss gun control. Thanks for the led pencil tip, never heard of that.
Anyways, no issues with my Yo2 lock thankfully. Except the occasional pinch.
Sorry to hear you got fed up, it's such an awesome design. Bad luck.
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Bill1170 wrote:#2 pencil lead is a mix of materials. One is a very fine abrasive (clay) and another is a dry lubricant (graphite). This is well known.

It is also known that rubbing steel across a fine abrasive in the presence of a lubricant polishes the steel.

High grit natural water stones are essentially sintered clay. They work better when lubricated with water. Novaculite works well lubricated with oil.

After polishing steel with fine abrasive plus lubricant, the steel is in a different condition from when you started polishing. Removing the polishing media does not cause the steel to revert immediately to its prior condition. Voilá!

Well, that's probably what you believe. I happen to disbelieve that. Clay polishing a hardened steel face and hardened liner? I have a hard enough time stropping with diamond paste.

This is hilarious though. Coming up with whatever ridiculous explanations and presenting them as facts just so you can hold on to your dearly held beliefs.

You guys seem very intent on having the last word in this discussion though. Go ahead, this is your chance because I'm out of here.