Do you hoard your Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sully

Re: Do you hoard your Spydercos?

Post by Sully »

I don't have enough to hoard, and I'm trying to be ok with that. Trying.

I do find it somewhat ironic that many true Spyderco experts do advocate "pre-need replacements," since they know best that Spydercos can even withstand serious hard use and not break down. Guess even the most knowledgeable amongst us can misplace a favorite Spyderco at the bottom of the sea...or behind the couch.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

Yes, I have them stashed in my vehicles, homes and at work...don't judge me
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I have a fairly sizable collection, but I prefer to have a wide variety of models/versions over multiples of the exact same knife. That said, there are a couple knives that I have exact duplicates of and some that I have variations of (a couple different Natives, Millies, Para 2's, ladybugs, and a few others). If you like buying multiples of the same knife for backups, I can totally understand wanting to do that. The nice thing is that you can always sell the backups down the road and, judging from past pricing, always get your money back out.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I am 100% hoarder. Though one difference is I tend to hoard for a year or two then do a giant purge. I do buy 2 knives of a model I really like to keep one mint in case I want another and of course a user. So I tend to buy 2 at a time. I have a core collection of knives that have stood the test of time and will probably never be purged. My Anniversary Delicas, Dave Beck Trackers, Busse Battle Mistress's from the original straight handle run, a few other Old Busse, One of the original hand forged Winkler Belt knives, and my Jim Hammond Seal Tac #6. So maybe 15 or so knives I would be hard pressed to sell unless I need to feed the family. The other 50 or so could be purged any time and I am much in need of a purge.

I use the money from the purge to start buying all over. I like getting knives in the mail one of the true joys of life.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

10just wrote:Thought about buying a duplicate the other day, but if that cash is really burning a hole in your pocket its worth shopping around for a new model.
That's always been my philosophy too. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
tangent

Post by tangent »

Surfingringo wrote: I moved out of the country a long time ago and simplified my life. One of those simplifications was that I let go of everything. I either sold or gave away every single thing that wouldn't fit in a single backpack and I lived that way for YEARS and YEARS.
Dude...really? My hero...and I'm not being sarcastic at all. I think deep down inside we yearn for simplicity...I know I do.

It's funny because I don't have a lot of different models of Spydercos, but I do have multiples of the ones I really like. I have 3 Pac Salt Serrated, 2 Native 5 LW, 2 Delica 4's, 3 Dragonflies and 2 Sage 2's. And lately I've been thinking I'd have everything covered with just the Pac Salt Serrated and Native 5. (Not counting fixed blades of course, LOL)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

On the broader subject, I've said this before on other fora: the key difference between a collection (with it's positive tone) and a hoard (with it's negative tone) is not in the amount of things or stuff that you have:-

A collection is when you have a very good idea of what you have- for example, having 4 of the same knife isn't hoarding if you know that you've bought 4 of them for a reason (in case they wear out or get lost and so on).

It's considered hoarding when you don't have control of what you are acquiring and/or have no idea how many or how much you've got- and there's no clear reason behind your accumulation of whichever-stuff-it-is.....The classic thing is old newspapers- Hoarding's generally seen as an uncontrolled or uncontrollable reaction to the stresses of life.

Hoarding (from my perspective- and backed up by the way UK social services and psychiatric services view it) is only really relevant as 'hoarding' if it takes over your whole life and living space.....Unless you're living in one of those Japanese flats the size of a coffin, you're gonna have to really work hard to fill your whole living space with Spyderco :D

TLDR?- As long as you know which knives you've got and you don't have to climb over a pile of Spyderco boxes to get into bed- you're a proud collector not a hoarder! :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

demoncase wrote:On the broader subject, I've said this before on other fora: the key difference between a collection (with it's positive tone) and a hoard (with it's negative tone) is not in the amount of things or stuff that you have:-

A collection is when you have a very good idea of what you have- for example, having 4 of the same knife isn't hoarding if you know that you've bought 4 of them for a reason (in case they wear out or get lost and so on).

It's considered hoarding when you don't have control of what you are acquiring and/or have no idea how many or how much you've got- and there's no clear reason behind your accumulation of whichever-stuff-it-is.....The classic thing is old newspapers- Hoarding's generally seen as an uncontrolled or uncontrollable reaction to the stresses of life.

Hoarding (from my perspective- and backed up by the way UK social services and psychiatric services view it) is only really relevant as 'hoarding' if it takes over your whole life and living space.....Unless you're living in one of those Japanese flats the size of a coffin, you're gonna have to really work hard to fill your whole living space with Spyderco :D

TLDR?- As long as you know which knives you've got and you don't have to climb over a pile of Spyderco boxes to get into bed- you're a proud collector not a hoarder! :)
Based on your definition, I'm afraid my daughter might still accuse me of being a hoarder :D. I know *generally* which knives I have and why, and *gasp* have actually passed on buying a particular model or two because they didn't appeal to me, but I don't really have much self-control when a new Sprint comes out :) . And I have occasionally ordered a particular knife because I forgot I had *already* bought one of them.

But at least I don't spend any money on alcohol or women, and I get great enjoyment out of carrying/fondling my Spyderco's -- even though my job as a programmer doesn't really involve much cutting :).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

Kind of envy Surfingringo, get out of this rat race & a live the simple life. Gary
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I love how someone posted the clinical definition of a hoarder. :)
I'm not that bad. I do have the instinct to buy multiples of a knife I like, especially if it's a good value or in limited supply. I don't kid myself that I'm buying a back-up. It's not logical and I've proven that to myself when the inevitable purging occurs every so often. I agree, it feels good to sell 'em off when the accumulation gets excessive. But the pattern does seem to repeat. Oh well. Not the worst habit I guess.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

What is all this crazy talk of selling Spyderco's ?
I leave that up to Spyderco to sell to me. Where they stay...
O.
Reject

Post by Reject »

O,just,O wrote:What is all this crazy talk of selling Spyderco's ?
I leave that up to Spyderco to sell to me. Where they stay...
O.
I like your thinking there Image cousin O.
How much can a Koala bear?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I don't buy duplicates or backups, with one exception. I think it's bad enough that I own multiple Paramilitaries even though they're all different.

The only exception is a knife that is not even a Spyderco. It's a CRKT folder that I carried for years before losing. It's my favorite design, so I eventually searched the webs and found a few left for sale since it had long been discontinued. I wound up buying two with the intent of modifying one (work in progress), with the second one being my only actual "safe queen" just in case I botched the job on the user. At about $60 each, I don't feel too absurd or guilty about it, especially considering I really haven't found, at any price, a design I like to use more than the CRKT 4514.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I used to buy backups so I could use my knives without worrying about them... I've gotten over it, though. :)