Spyderco Native5 40th Anniversary Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Spyderco Native5 40th Anniversary Sprint Run

Post by RamZar »

I've seen June 2016 listed as the ETA on KnifeWorks and officially as a "Sprint Run in very limited quantities" but unofficially on KnifeCenter it says "limited run of 1,200 pieces".
  • What's the latest on the ETA?
  • How many will be produced?
Thank you.

Blade is FFG DS93X Thor Damasteel and the handle is Fluted Carbon Fiber.

MSRP: $599.95. MAP: $359.97.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bh49

Re: Spyderco Native5 40th Anniversary Sprint Run

Post by bh49 »

I will be really surprise, if run will be 1200 pieces. Not easy to make knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

bh49 wrote:I will be really surprise, if run will be 1200 pieces. Not easy to make knife.
I'm guessing it'll be between 300 and 1,200 pieces. I'm hoping for the latter so that everyone who wants one can get one. However, "very limited quantities" probably means closer to 300 than 1,200 pieces.

The ParaMiltary2 Sprint of February 2014 with Composite Blade CF (C81CFPE2) was a run of just 300 of them.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/owOZd3G0DBM
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I too would not be surprised if it's a fairly small run. For one thing, it may represent Spyderco's first time working with bar, rather than sheet, stock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I still didn't decide on this. I love the knife, but hate 40 and $360 is the high price tag for something, which you half love half hate. :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am with you Roman. I am gonna hold out for the fluted CF model with a regular blade in S35V. I don't care for blades with too much writing on them. Oh well, I guess this one is just for collectors anyway. I am glad they are gonna make another one with flutedCF.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am with you Roman. I am gonna hold out for the fluted CF model with a regular blade in S35V. I don't care for blades with too much writing on them. Oh well, I guess this one is just for collectors anyway. I am glad they are gonna make another one with flutedCF.
I thought the other version was going to be S90V. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

bh49 wrote:I still didn't decide on this. I love the knife, but hate 40 and $360 is the high price tag for something, which you half love half hate. :(

regrind?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I am with you Roman. I am gonna hold out for the fluted CF model with a regular blade in S35V. I don't care for blades with too much writing on them. Oh well, I guess this one is just for collectors anyway. I am glad they are gonna make another one with flutedCF.
I beleive that LC is correct. S90V and street about $260. Most likely I will buy it.

bh49

Post by bh49 »

swigert wrote:
bh49 wrote:I still didn't decide on this. I love the knife, but hate 40 and $360 is the high price tag for something, which you half love half hate. :(
regrind?
two problems are here:
1. Bug will be gone. And I love bug
2. Collector value of the knife will go down may be not to zero, but close. :(

RamZar

Post by RamZar »

bh49 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
I beleive that LC is correct. S90V and street about $260. Most likely I will buy it.
Native5 CPM-S90V with Fluted CF for a street price of $251.97.

bh49

Post by bh49 »

$252 is even better. I am certainly in :)

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

RamZar wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

I'm really interested in this one as well. I believe it is supposed to be liner-less, like a CF LW.

I wonder why they chose S90v
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Thanks for the clarification guys. Sorry about that. I knew it was S90V but was typing at work and was a little distracted. I hate being the source of misinformation. I am all about that one and definitely want to pick one up.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Thanks for the clarification guys. Sorry about that. I knew it was S90V but was typing at workand was a little distracted. I hate being the source of misinformation. I am all about that one and definitely want to pick one up.
Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of your knife habit? :D I mean, seriously... :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

abbazaba wrote:
RamZar wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

I'm really interested in this one as well. I believe it is supposed to be liner-less, like a CF LW.

The CF has no liners but, per Eric, they threaded some steel into the CF. They really didn't need to do that since CF is so strong. It's still a pretty thin Native5. I think they chose S90V over S35VN just to set it apart as a higher end Native5. I think the handle alone is worth the price of admission.
swigert

Post by swigert »

RamZar wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
RamZar wrote:
bh49 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

The CF has no liners but, per Eric, they threaded some steel into the CF. They really didn't need to do that since CF is so strong. It's still a pretty thin Native5. I think they chose S90V over S35VN just to set it apart as a higher end Native5. I think the handle alone is worth the price of admission.

I agree. This one is a must have. Production or sprint?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RamZar wrote: I think they chose S90V over S35VN just to set it apart as a higher end Native5. I think the handle alone is worth the price of admission.
I am wondering why S90V and not S110V or something exotic from Carpenter?

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
RamZar wrote: I think they chose S90V over S35VN just to set it apart as a higher end Native5. I think the handle alone is worth the price of admission.
I am wondering why S90V and not S110V or something exotic from Carpenter?
That's a valid point, really. Perhaps they are just trying to keep the price fairly reasonable? In other words, CF fluted handle + S110V would likely be more expensive than CF fluted handle + S90V.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal