Spyderco Native5 40th Anniversary Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
theskyiscrying

Re: Spyderco Native5 40th Anniversary Sprint Run

Post by theskyiscrying »

BTG... GAS is just awful!.... lol
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

One thing to keep in mind is that Damasteel isn't just beautiful, it's also a fantastic steel. This version may be the best user of all the versions.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I'll be very upset with myself later if I don't get this. Too nice of a knife to pass up and the price will spike once the run is done. Time to sell some organs. :)

Rich
Think for yourself
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I just received a call from KnifeCenter, informing me that my order for the fluted CF Native 5 won't be filled, because they were informed by Spyderco that they won't be proceeding forward with this model :(. Sooo sad, I was really looking forward to it - I had 2 on preorder. I already own 3 or 4 fluted Ti Native 5's, (and 4 of the fluted Ti Military).

I assume they are still proceeding with the 40th Anniv. Sprint Run. I do have one of those on order also (with KW) and sure hope that gets fulfilled.

[Edit] Just got an email from KnifeWorks that my order for the 40th Anniv version has been updated to "Ready to ship". Yes it's pricey, but I will get over the price paid, and will carry and use it (but not abuse it :)).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

farnorthdan wrote:Cool looking piece but I will be passing on this one.
Add one more to that list..
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

rodloos wrote:I just received a call from KnifeCenter, informing me that my order for the fluted CF Native 5 won't be filled, because they were informed by Spyderco that they won't be proceeding forward with this model :(. Sooo sad, I was really looking forward to it - I had 2 on preorder. I already own 3 or 4 fluted Ti Native 5's, (and 4 of the fluted Ti Military).
You mean the Native5 S90V Fluted CF will NOT happen?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

RamZar wrote:
rodloos wrote:I just received a call from KnifeCenter, informing me that my order for the fluted CF Native 5 won't be filled, because they were informed by Spyderco that they won't be proceeding forward with this model :(. Sooo sad, I was really looking forward to it - I had 2 on preorder. I already own 3 or 4 fluted Ti Native 5's, (and 4 of the fluted Ti Military).
You mean the Native5 S90V Fluted CF will NOT happen?
That's what I was told today. KnifeCenter called me about the ones I had on order, to tell me they would cancel the order and that they had been informed by Spyderco today that it would not be going into production. In fact I got two calls from KC, one about each separate order I had placed.

Makes me wonder if they had some difficulties with quality control or something -- now I'm wondering if the next SFO seconds sale might have a few of the initial samples produced, made available. Wish I could make it there :). Makes me glad that I *did* order the 40th Anniv version though. I really want to see what the fluted CF is like.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

BTG wrote:Lol...I'm a N5 addict probably more than any other Model...it wasn't my first, that was a tenacious, but it was my first higher echelon knife..it was just introduced when I got into spydies and very hard to track down initially...still comes in batches and disappears from what I read.......anyway I preordered both versions 40th and regular fluted Cf.....I hope I get a little breather between the drops though.....however I carry the regular G10 or the s90v Forum knife when I carry a N5 now so both will just go into the safe..plus right now I don't see anything that could break up the Nirvana, Sage5 duo...Im crazy over both of these knives...
sal wrote:I believe that we started with 1200 but I'm sure there will be some fall out. It's a challenging model to make.
sal
Sal did say that the 40th is a "challenging model to make". I wonder if it's both the steel and the fluted CF. Also, makes me wonder if they'll be able to produce all 1,200 pieces of the 40th granted some will fall out in QC.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

In stock at a few places, just snagged one, even at the high price I just couldn't pass this up.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's a beautiful handle and I even like the damascus pattern and shade. Tempting.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

rodloos wrote:I just received a call from KnifeCenter, informing me that my order for the fluted CF Native 5 won't be filled, because they were informed by Spyderco that they won't be proceeding forward with this model.
this is very upsetting news. The worst knife news of 2016.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

RamZar wrote:Sal did say that the 40th is a "challenging model to make". I wonder if it's both the steel and the fluted CF. Also, makes me wonder if they'll be able to produce all 1,200 pieces of the 40th granted some will fall out in QC.
I can only hope that this might mean that, like the EDC Forum glow-in-the-dark Manix, the ones that didn't make it through QC and go into the factory seconds sale also didn't get the additional laser engraving on the blade. I'd prefer a factory second without the giant "40th Anniversary" to a factory approved one with the engraving.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Anyway, who's got one of the 40th anniversary models? Let's see some more pics and hear your thoughts! I can't find any new stuff online about this knife.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Looks like these are trickling out slowly with each dealer getting only about a handful or two.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Anyway, who's got one of the 40th anniversary models? Let's see some more pics and hear your thoughts! I can't find any new stuff online about this knife.
I should get mine tomorrow morning, will definitely post some pics....got the fluted Ti out just look at it some...saw my order date for this one, November 12th...I think only the Nirvana was a longer wait....and I didn't even make the first cut at KC and got it elsewhere....needless to say, anticipation is high.........
.UPDATE......USPS strikes again...got it the first 3500 in a day...then couldn't get it from San Jose to Fremont (15 miles) by the next day.....aye..go figure....so the anticipation continues...now I'm worried lost or stolen on top of it.
BTG

Post by BTG »

Finally here , love it...fluting a little shallower than I anticipated, but I imagine can't go too deep on carbon fiber...blade is way cool, love the pattern..very lightweight, perfect grind.
IMAG0593-1200x2133.jpg
IMAG0595-1600x900.jpg
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I received mine in the mail yesterday. It feels quite a bit lighter than the fluted Ti Native 5, not surprisingly. I haven't had a chance to do much with it yet or take any pictures. It definitely came *very* sharp. I'll try to get some pics later.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I just got mine today and Spyderco hit this one out of the park. The build, fit and finish are so superb. I am really loving how well made the knife is. I may pick up another to carry.
Attachments
IMG_2332.jpg
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine arrived today from New Graham, and I'm very favorably impressed. The texture on the CF is quite subtle. Not ot a bad thing, IMHO, as it keeps the focus where it should be, on the blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
palonej

Post by palonej »

Great pics of a gorgeous knife Paul!!
Thanks for taking the time to share them.......didn't think I needed one of these......till your pics!!!
The pattern on your blade is incredible!!!
Joe