thanks for the Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: thanks for the Stretch

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I was very pleased using my S110V Mule this year on a Muley doe. I don't own a Moran but if they ever did a sprint in another steel I would give it a try. I have a bunch of Mules which is the only reason I haven't given the Moran a try. They have been serving me very well as field knives. They basically have the same grip as the Stretch which for me is great.

Darby, I want your knife! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That one is the MT18 which is a little hard to find now but there are still quite a few mules that are available. The RWL34 version is still available and should be a good option for a field knife. Check it out. :)

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=978
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Thanks, Darby

Another fixed blade won't go astray! Ah, ha ha ha! Plus I don't have a fixed blade Spyderco. :)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Getting my HAP40 Stretch.
Chris :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Only had my Stretch four days and liking it more and more! Yesterday, I walked past a young seaman at work, cutting up condemned and out of date synthetic lifting slings. I said hello and watched him sawing a Chinesie knock off of a big Buck style folder through these things with considerable effort and little progress. I couldn't help myself and offered him the closed Stretch which he accepted gingerly and opened with both hands, touched the blade with his thumb and said "It's sharp!". "Yeah, it's not bad, give it a whirl." He folded the sling (about 3/8" x 2") and slipped the blade up in the loop tilted the knife back and pulled. The sling separated cleanly, effortlessly. He looked up in disbelief and said "$@?&#%* sharp, ay?" I chuckled and told him to toss the Chinesie overboard and buy a Spyderco! Ah, ha ha ha! :cool:
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Got my hap40 Stretch earlier this week. It's a really nice knife, the sharpest knife I've ever had out of the box. Hopefully I can maintain that.

My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

ronT2 wrote:Got my hap40 Stretch earlier this week. It's a really nice knife, the sharpest knife I've ever had out of the box. Hopefully I can maintain that.

does your Hap 40 Stretch have an abnormally thin grind?

I received one a few days ago from knifecenter and the blade grind was thinner than a delica, far thinner than my main super blue Stretch, I returned it for an exchange.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The thinner the better if you ask me. That is like throwing away a winning scratch off lotto ticket. My Hap40 Stretch and Delica were both on the thin side and I like them a lot.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

tripscheck'em wrote: does your Hap 40 Stretch have an abnormally thin grind?

I received one a few days ago from knifecenter and the blade grind was thinner than a delica, far thinner than my main super blue Stretch, I returned it for an exchange.
I didn't notice anything that really stood out as far as the grinding goes. The layering is very even side to side, this ones a keeper.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The thinner the better if you ask me. That is like throwing away a winning scratch off lotto ticket. My Hap40 Stretch and Delica were both on the thin side and I like them a lot.
I'm with you 100%, but it's a true saying that "there's no accounting for taste".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

The Stretch is my favorite overall knife, but I won't be buying a Stretch2, even in FRN, which is my preferred scale material. The main reason is that at 3.57", the blade is barely but definitively over the 3.5" blade length limit in Charlotte. (And no, let me preemptively reply to the sarcastic remark, I wouldn't grind off enough of the tip to bring it down 0.07".) I also dislike ZDP-189. In G-10, the Stretch2 is a disaster for me; all of the above plus extra cost and an extra ounce of weight for absolutely no benefit, wrapped up in a boring color.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Knutty.

I've to measure mine. They're supposed to be 3.5 and if they're too long, I'll fissit before the 2 comes out.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

FRN versioin is 3.5" G-10 version is 1/16th over. We'll make sure the new FRN version is 3.5".

sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Holy smokes this is a bad boy!!! Sharpest spydie I've gotten yet! Hap40 seems to be pretty awesome so far!!! Super stoked I was able to get my FIRST sprint of something!!! The addiction is real folks.

Josh
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

sal wrote: Sales were not very brisk with the Stretch. We've been trying to figure out why as being between the Endura (which is now a large knife) and the Delica, we thought it would be better. The tentative conclusion reached was; the general market doesn't like finger-choils and prefers the straight spine.

I've considered designing a choil-less straight spine version as a test, probably in slab construction first? I did that with the Raven and the upcoming "Polestar". But there I just got rid of the finger-choil and left the blade the same.

sal
Hi Sal

I hope you'll also consider trying a straight spine test version that keeps the choil, maybe like Paul's mockup:
The Deacon wrote:Perhaps this mockup will help:
(This might need a name change, since it wouldn't really be a Stretch without that distinctive blade shape... or maybe Stretch 3 would be OK.)

Or better yet, bring back the solid blade R, which fits in perfectly between the Delica and Endura but has a more substantial handle:

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.