FRN Orange vs Burnt Orange

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ryguy76

FRN Orange vs Burnt Orange

Post by ryguy76 »

Just wondering how different these two FRN colours actually are. Might anyone that owns both be willing to post a comparison photo?

Thanks!
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
harronek

Re: FRN Orange vs Burnt Orange

Post by harronek »

At the risk of incurring the wrath of all the Burnt Orange lovers , I don't like it at all .
Two hours after I got my Delica I swapped the scales with some custom G10 scales I have .
I also have the standard Orange VG10 Delica and like that colour a whole lot more .
Sorry Spyderco the Burnt Orange just doesn't do it for me .
I don't have both knives with me at the moment to give a comparison photo .

Ken
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If I was looking for high visibility, then burnt orange would be a bad choice. Aside from that, I consider it an attractive light brown. I just wish Spyderco would pair it with a decent stainless steel like VG-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I think that orange is much better looking, but burnt orange is more practical. You will not need to clean it that often, if you use it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I slightly prefer the safety orange over the burnt...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The regular production orange is a bright safety orange. It is "hunter orange". The burnt orange is very nice but not very bright. I have both and carry my safety orange Delica in the woods quite a bit. The burnt orange has an almost butterscotch quality to it too me and it is surprisingly difficult to capture the true color of it in a photo.

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I prefer the safety orange but am not totally opposed to the burnt orange. My hap40 delica blade got swapped into the PE Lil Matriarch blue handle almost immediately. My Hap40 streatchwas left alone. There is a big difference between the two.
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

I was on the fence about the burnt orange, but I just received my hap40 ladybug and I really like it. It's going on the keychain!
25 :spyder:'s and counting
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

Thanks.

I think I prefer the Burnt Orange myself, but will have to wait to see them both in person as it is still hard to really appreciate the colour from the photos.
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I agree with BFK, none of these pictures really capture the burnt. I have and like both. I think the burnt is a bit more versatile than the safety orange, because the safety orange isbright!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Burnt orange is one of my all time favorite Spyderco FRN colors! Also loved the gray-blue of the meerkat sprint.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The burnt orange is probably my favorite Spyderco FRN color. I can't get enough of it, and the Delica hasn't left my pocket since I got it. I also had to have the Dragonfly and Stretch. Orange is my favorite color, so I like the safety orange models a lot. But the burnt orange offers a more subtle, yet rich shade of orange that blends well with EDC clothing.

:bug-red-white
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

With the Delica Wharncliffe being available in the bright orange I almost went for that one...but I am going to wait (it's on pre-order) for the HAP40 Wharncliffe. I like the warmth of the burnt orange. And now I get to check out a new steel
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It's going to be nice. I like the burnt orange. I'd actually call it butterscotch.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

I like burnt orange alot more, doesnt show as much dirt.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

burnt ftw
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

I'm thinking about getting the Cutlery Shoppe orange Native 5, which category orange does that fall under?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

wolfgaze wrote:I'm thinking about getting the Cutlery Shoppe orange Native 5, which category orange does that fall under?
Safety/blaze orange
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I like both. For any outdoors activities, mostly hiking and camping, I prefer my bright orange Delica. For more of an edc, around town knife, I prefer the more pale "butterscotch" burnt orange.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

wolfgaze wrote:I'm thinking about getting the Cutlery Shoppe orange Native 5, which category orange does that fall under?
The CS Native (and nearly all of the CS exclusives) use the bright orange FRN/FRCP.